[comp.simulation] SIMULATION DIGEST V18 N6

simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu (Moderator: Paul Fishwick) (10/19/90)

Volume: 18, Issue: 6, Fri Oct 19 09:08:11 EDT 1990

+----------------+
| TODAY'S TOPICS |
+----------------+

(1) RE: Conflicting Times for Conferences (V18 N5)
(2) WANTED: Information about SIM++
(3) CALL: IEEE Software/Performance Analysis
(4) RE: Availability of SPICE (V18 N5)
(5) CALL: Workshop on Parallel and Distributed Simulation
(6) Call for Discussion: comp.lang.vhdl
(7) Sales Management Simulation

* Moderator: Paul Fishwick, Univ. of Florida
* Send topical mail to: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu OR
  post to comp.simulation via USENET
* Archives available via FTP to bikini.cis.ufl.edu (128.227.224.1).
  Login as 'ftp', use your last name as the password, change
  directory to pub/simdigest. Do 'type binary' before any file xfers.
* Simulation Tools available by doing above and changing the
  directory to pub/simdigest/tools.

Date:     Mon, 15 Oct 90 17:10:41 EDT
From: "Michael J. Chinni, SMCAR-CCS-E" <mchinni@PICA.ARMY.MIL>
To: CELLIER%EVAX2@arizona.edu
Cc: simulation@cis.ufl.edu
Subject:  Re:  SIMULATION DIGEST V18 N4
Extention:  x4140

Sir,

	The point you raise is a good one, but not a new one. This problem has
been around a while. One aspect of this problem is that while SCS tries to avoid
such conflicts whenever possible, not all simulation societies are so inclined.
Other aspects of the problem are: societies not knowing of conflicts at all or
not until after contractual commitments have been made; trying to find a good
city and accomodations that are available and reasonably priced for the
timeframe of your conference; the consideration of the effect of such a conflict
(i.e. will the conflict detract sufficiently from your conference that it is
worth the time and effort to try to avoid the conflict).

	I don't believe we can expect to have absolutely no conflicting
conferences, but maybe we as simulationists and subscribers to this Digest can
help our societies to avoid such conflicts in the future. To this end I suggest
that a list be formed consisting of names and mailing addresses of all
societies running or planning to run simulation conferences. Given such a list
we can then as members of our respective societies recommend to the society
leadership that they use this list to exchange calendars of events. Such an
exchange would be used to plan future conferences that would not conflict with
other conferences.

	Since I suggested it, if the readers of this digest want such a list,
I hereby volunteer to coordinate its formation. If this is agreeable (to the
readership and Digest moderator) then the readership of this Digest should send
me society names and mailing addresses (as I mentioned in the previous
paragraph).

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
			    Michael J. Chinni
              Simulation Techniques and Workplace Automation Team
	 US Army Armament Research, Development, and Engineering Center
 User to skeleton sitting at cobweb   () Picatinny Arsenal, New Jersey
    and dust covered workstation      () ARPA: mchinni@pica.army.mil
      "System been down long?"        () UUCP: ...!uunet!pica.army.mil!mchinni
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

------------------------------

To: comp-simulation@uunet.uu.net
From: krishnav@hathi.eng.ohio-state.edu (Krishna Veerahhanta)
Newsgroups: comp.simulation
Subject: SIM++
Date: 15 Oct 90 21:50:27 GMT

Hi
	Does anyone out there know anything about a language called SIM++?
	It is believed to have inbuilt functions for distributed processing.
	Any help would be greatly appreciated.

	Thanks

	-Krishna
	P.S: Please send mail directly or reply to this message
							CTA Inc
Internet: krishnav@faatcrl.UUCP             Voice:(609)-484-4812
UUCP    : ...rutgers!faatcrl!krishnav

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Oct 90 10:20:19 PDT
From: Kathleen Nichols <nichols@cirocco.apple.com>
To: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu
Subject: call for papers

(We expect many papers will be simulation studies.)

			    Call for Papers
		 IEEE Software Magazine Theme Issue on
	 	   Software for Performance Analysis

Performance analysis is rapidly becoming a hot topic in software engineering.
Performance analysis is meant to answer the questions beyond "Is it correct?".
The focus is on whether the system under study is "fast enough" or "reliable
enough" and "what is the effect of making changes in the system?".   These
questions are important in several key emerging areas:

 * Graphics workstations have made it possible to create sophisticated
   software systems with visually-oriented interfaces,  but response time
   is a critical performance attribute.
 * Real-time embedded systems must meet requirements of timing and reliability.
 * High-speed networks are being designed to meet the demands of distributed
   computing and of connecting ultra-fast CPUs.  Whether such networks can
   be made fast enough at a reasonable cost must be addressed before
   significant resources are devoted to them.
 * Parallel computing is highly performance-oriented: significant speedups or
   significantly larger problems must be acheived to make the additional
   software, hardware, and programming overhead cost effective.

These are four widely disparate areas, but all require performance analysis.
This need has recently been recognized by major corporations like
Hewlett-Packard, Intel, and Apple Computer, who have all started major
projects involving performance analysis.

In the past, performance has either been ignored or has been carried out by
running discrete and repetitious experiments resulting in lengthy dumps of
metrics which were analyzed by hand.  Today's complex systems require more
than simple dumps of metrics.  Systems are studied through instrumenting,
modeling, and simulating software and hardware.  The overwhelming
amount of data produced by such systems and the numerous options involved
require that performance information be given to the user in a digested form,
possibly with some analysis done or important data highlighted.  These
methodologies and techniques for the study of software performance
need to be shared.  This issue of IEEE Software will provide a forum for
recent developments in software methods and techniques that serve to
expedite performance analysis.

This is a call for papers on performance analysis tools and reports of
particular software studies presented as a systematic approach to measurement
and analysis of software performance.  Papers describing both case studies of
general importance and tools of proven effectiveness are solicited.  In
particular, innovative methodologies and novel presentations of performance
data that have a potential for wide application are sought.

 Submit 6 copies of manuscript by February 1, 1991 to:

 	Kathleen M. Nichols	or	Paul Oman
 	Apple Computer, Inc.		Computer Science Dept.
 	20525 Mariani Avenue		College of Engineering
 	M/S 76-3K			University of Idaho
 	Cupertino, CA 95014		Moscow, ID 83843
 	(408) 974-1136			(208) 885-6589
 	nichols@apple.com		oman@ted.cs.uidaho.edu

 For further information, contact Kathleen or Paul at the above addresses.

------------------------------

To: comp-simulation@decwrl.dec.com
From: mark@mips.COM (Mark G. Johnson)
Newsgroups: comp.simulation
Subject: Re: SIMULATION DIGEST V18 N5
Date: 15 Oct 90 23:32:48 GMT
Sender: news@mips.COM

In simulation digest v18 n5, lutz@fstc-chville.army.mil (Mr David Lutz) writes
   >Does anyone know the procedure for getting the
   >computer program SPICE (Simulation Program
   >with IC Emphasis) ????     It was written
   >at UC Berkeley...   Is there a site I can
   >anonymous-FTP it from???

SPICE isn't public domain; you license it from the
Regents of the University of California (Berkeley).
Fortunately the license fee is quite small.

Call Cindy Manley at the UCB/ERL Software Publications
Office: (415) 643-6687.  She'll send you an order form.

The license stipulates that you won't redistribute the
program for profit.
 --
 -- Mark Johnson
 	MIPS Computer Systems, 930 E. Arques M/S 2-02, Sunnyvale, CA 94086

------------------------------

To: comp-simulation@eedsp.gatech.edu
From: vijaykm@eedsp.gatech.edu (Vijay Madisetti)
Newsgroups: comp.simulation
Subject: Workshop on Parallel and Distributed Simulation 1991
Date: 18 Oct 90 00:41:41 GMT

                              ACM, IEEE, SCS
          WORKSHOP ON PARALLEL AND DISTRIBUTED SIMULATION (PADS)
	   (Formerly, the "Distributed Simulation Conference")
	        Jointly Sponsored by SCS, IEEE-CS, and ACM
			    January 23-25, 1991
		Disneyland Hotel, Anaheim, California, USA

            General Chairman        Technical Program Chairman
              David Nicol                  Vijay Madisetti
           Col. of William and            Georgia Tech
                Mary.  Va.                   Atlanta
             nicol@cs.wm.edu         vijaykm@eedsp.gatech.edu

                     - Program Committee for PADS'91 -
Marc Abrams, Virginia Tech, USA.
Jon Agre, Rockwell, CA. USA.
Rassul Ayani, Royal Inst. of Tech, SWEDEN.
Rajive Bagrodia, UCLA, USA
Mary Bailey, University of Arizona, USA.
Richard Fujimoto, Georgia Tech, USA (Associate Program Chairman)
David Jefferson, UCLA, USA.
Douglas Jones, University of Iowa, USA.
Jason Lin, Bell Communication Research, USA.
David Mizell, Boeing Computer Services, USA.
Daniel Reed, University of Illinois-Urbana, USA.
Paul Reynolds, University of Virginia, USA.
Robert Sargent, Syracuse University, NY, USA.
Lisa Sokol, MITRE Corp, Va., USA.
Carl Tropper, McGill University, CANADA.
Brian Unger, Jade Simulations, Calgary, CANADA.
David Wagner, University of Colorado, USA.
                   3:30PM, Thursday, January 24, 1990

                       Preliminary Program
                  *******************************
                    23 January 1991, Wednesday

Session 1:  10:30 AM   Session Chair:  David Nicol
         ANALYTICAL MODELS FOR PARALLEL SIMULATION

* Two Processor Time Warp Analysis: Some Results on an Unifying Approach,
      Robert Felderman, Leonard Kleinrock, UCLA

  Processor Scheduling for Time Warp Simulation.
      Jason Lin, Bell Communications Research, Ed Lazowska, U of Washington

  Time Warp with Time Scale Decomposition,
      H. Ammar, S. Deng,  Clarkson University.

Session 2:  1:30 PM  Session Chair: TBA
         CONSERVATIVE SIMULATION SYSTEMS

* Algorithmic Optimizations for Conservative Parallel Simulation
  Systems.       David Wagner, U of Colorado.

  Null Message Cancellation in Conservative Distributed Simulation.
   Bruno Preiss, Wayne Loucks, Ian MacIntyre, James Field,
           University of Waterloo

  A Non-Deadlocking Conservative Distributed Synchronization Algorithm
       Meng-lin Yu, AT & T Bell Labs, Holmdel, Sumit Ghosh, Brown Univ.
          and Erik DeBenedictus, NCUBE Inc.

Session 3: 3:30 PM Session Chair: TBA
              OPTIMISTIC SIMULATION SYSTEMS
* Temporal Decompositions of Simulations under the Time Warp
  Operating System.
    Peter Reiher, JPL, Stephen Bellenot, Florida St. Univ, and
          David Jefferson, UCLA.

* User Cancellation of Events in Time Warp.
    Greg Lomow, Jade Simulations International, Samir Das and
        Richard Fujimoto, Georgia Tech.

  Computing the Global Virtual Time Using a Multilevel Token Passing
    Algorithm.
    Arturo Concepcion, Cal St. Univ, Scott Kelly, Chris Dailey,
      and Andrij Rudnitsky, Mich. St. Univ.

                 WORK IN PROGRESS-I
                    5:30-6:45PM
                24 January 1990, Thursday
Session 4: 8:30 AM: Session Chair: Richard Fujimoto
              OPTIMISTIC SIMULATION SYSTEMS II

*   Efficient Process-Oriented Embedded Simulations in Time Warp.
      Greg Lomow, Jade Simulations International.

*   Useful Extensions to the Time Warp Operating System.
         Jon Agre, Peter Tinker, Rockwell International Corp.

  Implementing a Global Termination Condition and Collecting Output Measures
  in Parallel Simulation
           Marc Abrams, Virginia Tech.

Session 5: 10:30 AM Session Chair: Dr. G. Zobrist
                  LARGE DISTRIBUTED SYSTEMS

*  SPEEDES: Synchronous Parallel Environment for Emulation and
   Discrete Event Simulation.
           Jeff Steinman, Jet Propulsion Labs

   A Technical Overview of the SIMNET Project.
         Craig Kanarick, Bolt Beranek and Newman Inc.

   A Performance Analysis of Distributed Simulation with Clusters
   of Processes.
         A. Boukerche, Carl Tropper, McGill University

Session 6: 1:30 PM  Session Chair: TBA
      SIMD ARCHITECTURES FOR PARALLEL SIMULATION

*  An Experimental Analysis of Simulation Clock Advancement in Parallel
    Logic Simulation on an SIMD Machine.
       Moon Chung, Yunmo Chung, Michigan St. University.

*   Parallel Simulation of Multistage Interconnection Networks on
     a SIMD Computer.
        Rassul Ayani, Boris Berkman, Royal Inst. of Tech., Sweden

*   An Approach for Balancing the Workload of the Munich Simulation
     Computer.
      Andreas Hagerer and S. Lang, University of Passau, Germany.

3:30 PM
Session 7:  a.  Keynote Talk: Prof. Richard Fujimoto

            b.   Panel Discussion: "Future of Simulation"
                   Session Chair: TBA

            c.   Business Meeting
            **********************************
              Friday, January 25th, 1991
            **********************************

Session 8: 8:30 PM  Session Chair:  Vijay Madisetti
         ADVANCED ISSUES IN PARALLEL SIMULATION
* Synchronous Relaxation for Parallel Simulation with Applications to
       Circuit Switched Networks.
      Stephen Eick, Albert Greenberg, Boris Lubachevsky, Alan Weiss,
           AT & T Bell Labs.

   Speedup of Conservative Distributed Discrete Event Simulation
    Methods by Speculative Computing.
          Horst Mehl, Univ. of Kaiserslautern, Germany

*   An Efficient Framework for Parallel Simulations
     Paul Reynolds, Univ. of Virginia.

    Fast Parallel Simulation of Circuits (invited paper)
          Jack Briner , U of North Carolina

11:05 AM :         Work in Progress II
       (submission requested from interested participants)
       -----------------------------
All papers have 30 minute time slots. Strictly enforced.
* implies that it is a long paper.
                REGISTER EARLY
For information concerning registration and other particulars please
contact:   Society for Computer Simulation, PO Box 17900, San Diego
CA 92117-7900, Telephone: 619-277-3888, Fax: (619)-277-3930

------------------------------

From: Thomas Dettmer <dettmer@jupiter.informatik.uni-dortmund.de>
Subject: CALL FOR DISCUSSION comp.lang.vhdl
To: announce-newgroups@turbo.bio.net
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 90 15:11:43 MET DST
Cc: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu

Hello,

Some days ago I tried to post the following announcement into your group.
Because I could not see it there until today I think there are problems for
our site with moderated groups. Would you please post it into your group? (I
send it to comp.lsi, comp.lsi.cad, comp.simulation and
news.announce.newgroups - in comp.lsi it was successfull, the only one)
Thanks in advance
tom

********************************** *************************************
From: dettmer@jupiter.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Thomas Dettmer)
Newsgroups: comp.lsi,comp.lsi.cad,comp.compilers,news.announce.newgroups,comp.simulation
Expires:
Sender: Thomas Dettmer

CALL FOR DISCUSSION - please respond

NAME:
     comp.lang.vhdl

STATUS:
    unmoderated

CHARTER:

VHDL-1076 (VHSIC (Very High Speed Integrated Circuits) Hardware Describtion
Language) is an IEEE Standard scince 1987. It is "a formal notation intended
for use in all phases of the creation of electronic systems. ... it supports
the development, verification, synthesis, and testing of hardware designs,
the communication of hardware design data ..." [Preface to the IEEE Standard
VHDL Language Reference Manual] and especially the SIMULATION of hardware
describtions. Additionally VHDL-models are a DoD requirement for vendors.

Today simulation systems and other tools (synthesis, verification and others)
based on VHDL are available. The VHDL users community is growing fast.
Several international conferences organized by the VHDL Users Groups(s) have
been held with relevant interest. Other international conferences adress the
topic with growing interest as well (Conference on Hardware Description
Languages -CHDL-, [European] Design Automation Conference -[Euro]DAC ...).

This group is a forum to discuss all problems related with the VHDL Language
and tools supporting VHDL. Important topics are (without restriction to
other ideas):
    Problems with the language [reference manual].
    Books on VHDL.
    Design example exchange.
    Available tools, their features and problems. (compilers, simulation,
        synthesis, verification ...)
    Coding conventions.
    The varios groups and activities in/beside VHDL (WAVES, VASG...)
    Conferences on VHDL

WHY A NEW GROUP:
There are currently a lot of tools based on VHDL. As far as I know, they are
all commercial, ranging fromm $500 (PC Version Simulator) to <unbounded>. A
lot of people are working on tools and more are using the available ones.
Some discussions in various groups and mailing lists prove that there is
growing interest and a lot of questions/problems have to be solved. It
seems, that there will be enough traffic in the new group to justify the
creation.

SCHEDULE:

1. DISCUSSION
    The discussion period begins on monday, october 22.
    It ends on tuesday, november 20.
    (possibly continued by email)

2. VOTE
    If the discussion is successfull, I'll send the call for votes on
    monday, november 26. The rest of the procedure will correctly follow
    the rules to create new groups (see news.announce.newusers for details).

Please respect, that the follow-up of a CALL FOR DISUSSION is news.groups.
Send your opinions to this call - otherwise there will be no comp.lang.vhdl.
All comments are welcome.

tom
email: dettmer@saturn.ls1.informatik.uni-dortmund.de
snail mail:                               phone: +49-231 755 4825
        Thomas Dettmer
    University of Dortmund                FAX: +49-231 75 15 32
Departement of Computer Science I
       Post Box 50 05 00
      D-4600 Dortmund 50
  Federal Republic of Germany (West)

------------------------------

To: comp-simulation@beaver.cs.washington.edu
From: rgarza@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx
Newsgroups: comp.simulation
Subject: SALES MANAGEMENT SIMULATION GAME
Date: 18 Oct 90 23:30:15 GMT
Sender: root@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx

I will apreciate any help on my quest for a Sales Management Simulation
Game. My intention is to expose several groups of students to a competitive situation in order to allow them to get some expertise in sales management.
Any information about software suppliers or actual users would be most apreciated.
                                                  Thanks.
                                              Rogelio I. Garza

END OF SIMULATION DIGEST