[comp.simulation] SIMULATION DIGEST V18 N7

simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu (Moderator: Paul Fishwick) (10/25/90)

Volume: 18, Issue: 7, Thu Oct 25 00:08:53 EDT 1990

+----------------+
| TODAY'S TOPICS |
+----------------+

(1) 1991 Directory of Simulation Software
(2) Simulation for Fault Diagnosis in Circuits
(3) Orbital Trajectories
(4) JOB: Simulation Position
(5) Object Oriented Simulation
(6) SPECIAL: Mismanagement of Simulation Conferences

* Moderator: Paul Fishwick, Univ. of Florida
* Send topical mail to: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu OR
  post to comp.simulation via USENET
* Archives available via FTP to bikini.cis.ufl.edu (128.227.224.1).
  Login as 'ftp', use your last name as the password, change
  directory to pub/simdigest. Do 'type binary' before any file xfers.
* Simulation Tools available by doing above and changing the
  directory to pub/simdigest/tools.

Date:    Fri, 19 Oct 90 20:01:21 GMT
From: mcleod@Sds.Sdsc.Edu
Subject: Software Directory Call for WEntries
To: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu

                        CALL FOR ENTRIES

              1991 DIRECTORY OF SIMULATION SOFTWARE

The Society for Computer Simulation is preparing its "2nd Annual
Directory of Simulation Software" for publication in the first
quarter of 1991.  Listings of commercially available simulation
software are invited as well as any promotional literature.
Software is not tested nor endorsed nor warranted by SCS, but all
entries are subject to verification by the editor, and each entry
must include a small submission fee which will be refunded if an
entry is not included.

Each entry includes:  The software name; a 50 word description of
the software and what it does; complete address and name of the
source for purchase or further information; description of
hardware/software/operating system requirements; and the
approximate cost.  Additionally, each entry is cross-indexed
alphabetically in up to four applications areas.

For further information, an entry form and a complimentary issue
of the 1990 Directory of Simulation Software, write or call:  Brian
O'Neill, SCS, PO Box 17900, San Diego, CA  92177 (619) 277-3888 or
MCLEOD@ SDSC.BITNET.

------------------------------

To: comp-simulation@ukc.ac.uk
From: "C.H. Orgill" <cho@cs.aber.ac.uk>
Newsgroups: comp.lsi.cad,sci.electronics,comp.simulation
Subject: Failure modes in large, simple, electrical circuits
Date: 19 Oct 90 10:46:33 GMT

I am currently involved with a project which has a strand which
is investigating qualitative representations of simple but large
electrical circuits. The components and typical complexity are
those to be found in a modern luxury automobile. The complete
circuit is littered with switches and relays whose large number of
configurations can partition the circuit into many 'active' (i.e. current
flowing) states. The circuit can also suffer faults. Proposing
that a point in the circuit becomes grounded, connected to battery
positive, or open-circuited will produce a circuit with new connectivity.

In the simulation of these faults the easiest option is to re-run
the simulation on the entirety of the new circuit. What is as yet
unknown to us is the existence of some incremental method which can
perform the minimum amount of recalculation and still be more
efficient than the simple brute-force approach (i.e. the extra
complexity of finding the minimum sub-circuit changed must result
in an average complexity that is no worse than complete recalculation).

Any pointers to interesting graph-theoretic algorithms (the circuit
can be seen in graph-theoretic terms as a flow digraph) or relevant
application areas (e.g. pcb testing, other work in vehtronics,
aerospace &c.) would be of great interest. I would be happy to summarise
replies to the groups above.

Best Regards,

Chris Orgill,				tel +44 970 622447
Research Associate,
Computer Science Department,		 cho%cs.aber.ac.uk@uunet.uu.net (ARPA)
University College of Wales,		 cho@uk.ac.aber.cs (JANET)
Aberystwyth, Dyfed, United Kingdom. SY23 3BZ.

------------------------------

To: comp-simulation@uunet.UU.NET
From: remtech!slarti!mclean@uunet.UU.NET (Terry McLean)
Newsgroups: comp.simulation
Subject: Orbital Trajectories
Date: 23 Oct 90 14:18:50 GMT
Sender: remtech!news@uunet.UU.NET

I am looking for a particular computer code that is being used by several
people for the purpose of design optimization methodology for aeroassisted
STVs.  The name of the code is OTIS, Optimal Trajectories by Implicit
Simulation.

I have heard of OTIS being referenced in a NASA symposium and an AIAA
conference.  I also think this code is being passed around by certain vendors
in the Wright Patterson area.  If anyone knows what I am talking about and
where I might get myself more information and possibly a copy of this code
please E-mail me or give me a call.  I would highly appreciate it.

Thankyou,

Terry McLean
205-536-8581
uunet!ingr!remtech!slarti!mclean

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Oct 90 23:00:27 pdt
From: well!rpi@apple.com (David Reed)
To: fishwick@fish.cis.ufl.edu, decwrl!well.sf.ca.us!well!rpi@uunet.uu.net
Subject: Re:  job opportunity

C UNIX programmers and interface designers in high-end full-emmersion simulation systems sought. RPI Advanced Technology Group, POB 14607, San Francisco, CA, USA, 94114. Resume and salary/fee requirements.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Oct 90 09:28:00 -0700
From: Michael G. Tashker <tashker@erg.sri.com>
To: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu
Subject: Re: SIMULATION DIGEST V18 N6
Newsgroups: comp.simulation

As a new news person, am not sure just what protocols are to be
observed when responding to articles in comp.simulation; i.e.
do I respond to the sender, the group as a whole (and if so, how?).

[[EDITOR: Respond to the group (in addition to the sender) if
the article is of general interest to the Digest. NOTE: If the
sender has mentioned that he will collect all responses for a
later summary to be submitted to the Digest, then you should
not reply to the Digest directly. -PAF]]

Anyway, though I'd drop in on comp.simulation to find out what's
going on in discrete simulation languages and OOPS.  I'd just
decided as an exercise for a new C++ convertee to see if I could
program up something I'd decided to call sim++ (obviously taken);
it would have the simulation constructs of Simscript II.V and of
course be totally c/c++ compatible.

This was prompted by CACI's announcement of Modsim (MODSIM?),
which appears to have II.5 functionality with objects.  This
seemed to me to be unnecessary, given c++.  Examples of
silliness:  the mention in the manual's preface that "modsim
now has dynamic strings with an overloaded + operator".  Well,
c++ is clearly the language of choice to do things like that.
Imagine if you will, c++ (perhaps using the NIH classlib) with
sim constructs.

Now; has anyone done this?  Is anyone interested in this?  Am
I sending mail to the right person?

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 19 Oct 90 09:54:14 GMT
From:     mcleod@Sdsc.BITnet
Subject: Mismanagement
To:       cellier@arizevax.bitnet

  Hello, Francois!  I note your "protest loudly" about the "mismangement"
  that allows conflicts in scheduling meetings.  That is a problem that has
  plagued us for 38 years -- since the founding of what is now the the
  Society for Computer Simulation International.  But you are wrong; the
  problem is not mismanagement, but NO management.  Each organization plans
  their own meeting without knowledge of what others are doing.  By the time
  the dates are announced it is too late to change.  No person or organization
  has the mechanism nor the authority to prevent conflicts.  I believe AFIPS
  made an unsucessful attempt at early publication of selected dates, but now
  AFIPS is being dissolved.  IFIP should perform such a service, as it is
  truly an international problem.
  However, as it is, you "protest loudly" to the breeze; no one out there
  is responsible!  While protesting, can you suggest a solution?

  John McLeod

Date: Fri, 19 Oct 90 12:39 MST
From: CELLIER%EVAX2@Arizona.edu
Subject: Re: RE: Mismanagement
To: Fishwick@Fish.CIS.UFL.Edu

Dear John:

    Of course, I know that I am protesting to the breeze ... why do you
think that I am so frustrated?  However, I might have a (partial) solution
to offer.  You are talking about "authority".  This sounds too much like a
legal problem to me while, in fact, it is a problem of bureaucratic
organizations.  I believe that every organization has a vital interest to
prevent these conflicts since it hurts them as much as it hurts the others.
But you are right.  Conferences are organized by first making the necessary
arrangements with the hotels ... and by the time you have signed a contract
you can't pull your neck out of the sling any more.

    Here my answer.  This newsletter is read by MANY (most?) simulationists
(such as YOU and ME).  If every potential conference organizer would send a
message to the digest saying: "I wish to organize a conference on such and
such topic.  I currently foresee to run it around such and such month.  Would
anyone who knows about potential conflicts let me know PDQ, p l e a s e ?"
chances are that conflicts would become known to the organizer sufficiently
early in the game.  S/he can then still decide what to do ... no legal
authority requested or given ... but at least, conflicts would be known.

    Second answer.  If all simulation organizers would send their conference
topics and dates to UFL (or another designated place) NOT for constant
publication, but for maintaining the information to be looked up in a
central place via anonymous FTP or similar, that might help also.  Computers
are wonderful organizers if people learn how to use them.  The magic buzz
word is an electronic bulletin board.

    Major obstacle:  While MANY (most?) individual simulationists have
meanwhile learned to make use of electronic mail, electronic newsletters,
electronic bulletin boards, electronic conferences, anonymous FTP, and what
other electronic gadgets there are ... the main office of our beloved major
simulation organization (SCSI) has not !!!  John: Since you are so close to
them, and since YOU know how to do it right, maybe, you could talk to them,
pat them fatherly on their shoulders (does a legal person have shoulders?),
and get them onto the right track.  Would you do this for us?  You would
serve your community greatly.

                                 Yours fondly

                                     Francois

Dear Francois--
  I thot your note about the conflicts between conferences was
pretty much on target, except for the issue of "mismanagement,"
which I'd submit is not the case at all.  Mike Chinni articulated
the issues quite well and offered a constructive--if not burdensome
to him--idea which would partially solve the some of the
difficulties.  His focus though is on simulation conference
conflicts.  We try to keep apprised of ALL potential conference
conflicts and where possible make a decision on timing that we
believe will serve the most members.  You mentioned IMACS'
Triennial Conference overlapping the SCSC in July.  We knew about
the conflict, but the IMACS folks were the ones who created it,
perhaps unavoidably due to the constraints of hotel and convention
sites and their availability.  The SCSC is always held in July and
annually and always (so far) in the U.S. or Canada.  Our
conferences are usually scheduled out four years or more, and that
means every three years we'll have the potential for a conflict
with IMACS or others who choose to hold their events in a time
frame pretty well established for most of our conferences and (at
some relief to our members in their planning and scheduling and
budgeting for educational events).
  If we were able to work around only other simulation conferences,
users group meetings, seminars, local and regional meetings, etc.,
the problem might be manageable.  But inevitably, and operating in
an interdisciplinary field we also confront the possibility of
conflicts with our sister societies' conferences, the impact of
which is oftentimes more devastating to attendance.  More than
once, I know we've rescheduled some events to avoid a major AIAA
meeting, the Design Automation Conference, the NCC (when it
existed), and the IEEE AI Conference.  Those organizations have
done the same thing.  But we're all trying to provide services to
different segments of the same marketplace with all the constraints
of hotels, space, price, and location.  I know one organization
that is scheduling out 20 years in advance on its annual meeting!
And when a group like the IEEE schedules 35%+ of its total annual
number of conferences (numbering into the hundreds) into an 8-week
window of mid-September to mid-November--a convenient time for most
professors and paper presenters--conflicts are unavoidable.  Less
than 2% of IEEE meetings are scheduled in August, by the way, and
we all know what its like in Europe in August!
  This is not to say that improvements cannot be made.  Umbrella
organizations like IFIP, AFIPS, AIP, AAAS, and others have started
preparing consolidated calendars of events of their constituent
organizations.  We consult them frequently, but they are only as
good as the information provided to them by the original society.
The problem is universal; IFIPS' own working group meetings
occupied something like 17 pages of the last calendar I saw!  There
is no central clearing house for ALL the meetings going on ALL over
the world, notwithstanding several dozen monthly requests I
personally get from the commercial boys saying they have THE
definitive book on upcoming world events.  No solution here,
Francois, but also not mismanagement.  If anything, it's healthy
competition.

Regards, Chip Stockton

END OF SIMULATION DIGEST