[comp.simulation] SIMULATION DIGEST V18 N8

simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu (Moderator: Paul Fishwick) (10/29/90)

Volume: 18, Issue: 8, Mon Oct 29 09:57:41 EST 1990

+----------------+
| TODAY'S TOPICS |
+----------------+

(1) WANTED: Fluid Flow Simulator
(2) CALL: SCSC 91 Summer Computer Simulation Conference
(3) Simulation for Understanding our Environment
(4) Neural Network/Hypothesis Correlation Services
(5) Virtual Reality

* Moderator: Paul Fishwick, Univ. of Florida
* Send topical mail to: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu OR
  post to comp.simulation via USENET
* Archives available via FTP to bikini.cis.ufl.edu (128.227.224.1).
  Login as 'ftp', use your last name as the password, change
  directory to pub/simdigest. Do 'type binary' before any file xfers.
* Simulation Tools available by doing above and changing the
  directory to pub/simdigest/tools.

Date: Thu, 25 Oct 90 16:02:52 +0100
From: kajifk@termix.termo.unit.no
To: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu
Subject: WANTED: Dynamic simulator for fluid flow problems (Ph.D)

I am not familar with this mailing list, and this request may be outside of
the main topic for this list...

Well, I am looking for a 3D dynamic fluid flow simulator. I am going to use
it as a tool-box in my Ph.D work on 3D modelling of two-phase (oil/gas)
flow in pipes and (enventually) in complex geometries. If the code has a
2-fluid model and even som kind of VOF technique allready it would be
great, but not necessary. Single phase codes are also of interest. Codes of
interest must obey the following criteria:

    * Public domain (free)
    * Reasonable well documented
    * Coded in fortran or ansi C

If I am on the wrong net-list, please advise me other(s) to use. Replies
should be sent directly to my internet address:

kajifk@termix.termo.unit.no

Kjell Arne Jacobsen
SINTEF Kulde, Flerfase
07-59 1635

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 26 Oct 90 00:48:28 GMT
From: mcleod@Sds.Sdsc.Edu
Subject: SCSC 91 CALL FOR PAPERS
To: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu

                         CALL FOR PAPERS
      1991 SUMMER COMPUTER SIMULATION CONFERENCE (SCSC '91)
                   Hyatt Regency Inner Harbor
                     Baltimore, Maryland USA

                        JULY 22-24, 1991

The theme of the 23rd annual Summer Computer Simulation Conference
is "Enhancing Simulation Utility," and the conference will feature
innovative presentations, panel discussions, state-of-the-art
reviews, tutorials, and exhibits designed to provide comprehensive
coverage of the field.  Topical areas will include:

  Simulation Methodologies           Physical/Chem. Applications
  System Performance                 Communications/Radar Systems
  Intelligent Sim. Environ.          Undersea Systems
  AI/KBS in Simulation               Biomedical Systems
  Robotics/CAD/CAM/CAE               Missile Systems
  Simulators and Training            SDI Applications
  Aerospace Applications             Gov't, Mgt., & Social Sci.
  Frontiers of Simulation in Asia

Only original papers which have not been previously published
should be submitted for consideration.  Authors will be expected
to register early and to attend the conference at their own expense
to present accepted papers which will be published in a hardcover
proceedings.  When submitting materials, include full names,
affiliations, addresses, phone, FAX, and E-mail numbers for each
author/participant.  Extended abstracts and proposals for
tutorials, panel sessions, or professional development seminars
should be mailed BY NOVEMBER 15, 1990 to:

SCSC 91 Program Chair              Deadlines and Dates:
Dr. Dale K. Pace                   Abstracts/proposals    11/15/90
JHU Applied Physics Lab.           Acceptance/author kits  1/15/91
Johns Hopkins Road                 Camera-ready copy due   3/15/91
Laurel, MD 20723-6099              CONFERENCE           7/22-24/91
Phone: 301-953-5650
FAX: 301-953-5910

SCSC 91 CONFERENCE COMMITTEE:  General Co-Chairs: Richard J. Hunt
(JHU/Applied Physics Lab) and Iwao Sugai (SEDDS); Program Chair:
Dr. Dale Pace (JHU/Applied Physics Lab); Assoc. Prog. Chair: Dennis
W. Baker (Martin Marietta); Exhibits and Local Arrangements:
William Buchanan and Connie Finney (JHU/Applied Physics Lab);
Steering Committee Chair: Marilyn Kloss (Mitchell & Gauthier
Assoc.)

Sponsored by: The Society for Computer Simulation, P.O. Box 17900,
San Diego, CA 92177  Phone: 619-277-3888; FAX: 619-277-3930; E-
Mail: MCLEOD@SDSC.BITNET

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 28 Oct 90 09:13:31 GMT
From: mcleod@Sds.Sdsc.Edu
Subject: Simulation Digest
To: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu

THE MAIN TRACK

I need not emphasize for readers of this digest the current
concern for the deteriorating health of our environment.  Both
organizations and individuals are talking and writing about it,
and a significant number are doing, or preparing to do, something
about it.  But do they know what they are doing, or even what
needs to be done?  The short-range "fix" might lead to a long-
range disaster, as was the case with DDT.

Computer modeling and simulation can alleviate that kind of
hazard. We don't have to try something and wait to see what will
eventually happen.  If we have a suitable model we can run it
forward in time and examine the results.

Of course that phrase "suitable model" is all important.  Our
concern is with the total environment of our entire planet, and
today there is no suitable overall model.  And we can't wait;
circumstances demand that we take a piecemeal approach.

To that end I am organizing a series of conference sessions which
will constitute a continuing track, a MAIN TRACK, under the
rubric "Understanding Our Environment."  Three sessions of this
track, at which papers describing the simulation of specific
aspects of the environment will be presented, have already been
organized for the 1991 Western MultiConference on Computer
Simulation, scheduled for January 23-25 at the Disneyland Hotel
in Anaheim, California.

Simulationists working on related projects, but who are not yet
ready to report on their progress, are invited to present papers
on the MAIN TRACK, "Toward Understanding Our Environment," at
future SCSI conferences.  The next two of these will be the 1991
SCS Simulation MultiConference scheduled for April 1-5 at the
Fairmont Hotel in New Orleans, and the 1991 Summer Computer
Simulation Conference scheduled for Baltimore, July 22-24.

Understanding the pieces is progress toward understanding the whole --
let's get with it!

Contact  John  McLeod,  BITnet "mcleod@sdsc",  or 8484  La  Jolla
Shores Drive, La Jolla, CA 92037

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 28 Oct 90 17:52:50 CST
From: David Kanecki <kanecki@vacs.uwp.wisc.edu>
To: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu
Subject: Neural Network Simulation Service

                          CONNECT/LINK
                          ------------

         NEURAL NETWORK/ HYPOTHESIS CORRELATION SERVICES

To introduce people to neural networks and hypothesis correlation
services,  a limited time offer is available where one can have at
no  charge  neural  network/hypothesis  correlation  analysis  of
information.

For example, given a series of results one can use the service to
aid in prediction based upon new or old circumstances. To use the
service,  send  the information via e-mail or regular mail with  a
Stamped Self Addressed Enveloped included and use the information
format  sheet below.  Based upon that no fee will be  charged,  5
request   per  organization  or  individual  will  be  the  limit
accepted.  My e-mail address is:  kanecki@vacs.uwp.wisc.edu. And,
my regular mail address is:

             David H.  Kanecki,  Bio.  Sci.,  A.C.S.
                           P.O. Box 93
                        Kenosha, WI 53141
                       United States, USA

                or  (414)-654-8710 After 7 PM CST

1. DATA FROM EXPERIMENT OR NOTEBOOK:

Example:

     A  system has two states of events and one state of  action.
Based upon test the following information was obtained:

     Observation 1       Observation 2       Action 1
     -------------       -------------       --------------
     No Stimulus         No Stimulus         No Action occurred
     No Stimulus         Stimulus            Action 1 occurred
     Stimulus            No Stimulus         Action 1 occurred
     Stimulus            Stimulus            No Action occurred

>From  this  data a request sheet was prepared as in  the  example
below:

  --- Or verbal description so I can do coding, if need be ---

2. DATA FROM NOTEBOOK TRANSCRIBED FROM EXPERIMENT TO REQUEST FORM:

    REQUEST for Neural Network/Hypothesis Correlation Service

Name: __________________________________________________
Organization:___________________________________________
Address: _______________________________________________
E-Mail Address:_________________________________________
Phone No: ______________________________________________
FAX No: ________________________________________________

Data Coding Sheet:
Setup:

     Number of Stimulus States: 2 ( Observation 1 and 2)
     Number of Action States:   1 ( Action 1)

          Stimulus Active               Action Active
          ---------------               ---------------
Case 1:    None                         None
Case 2:    Stimulus 2                   Action 1
Case 3:    Stimulus 1                   Action 1
Case 4:    Stimulus 1 and 2             None

Hypothesis  Query: (What  action  will occur if  a  stimulus  is active)
          Stimulus
          ---------
1).       Stimulus 1
2).       Stimulus 2
3).       Stimulus 1 & 2

                ---------------------------------

Based  upon  the data sent in and queries asked I  will  use  the
neural  network/  hypothesis  correlation program to  generate  a
response  to hypothesis queries based upon the data specified  in
the setup section of the form.

3. RESULTS OF ANALYSIS

                    Results of Analysis Form
                    -------------------------

Percent of Information learned from sample data      : 100%
Special Coding used by Operator to increase retention: YES

     Active Stimulus Given               Action Predicted
     ---------------------               -----------------
1.    None                               No  action,  Action  1
                                             inactive
2.   Stimulus 2                          Action 1 active
3.   Stimulus 1                          Action 1 active
4.    Stimulus  1  and 2                 No action,  Action  1
                                             inactive

4. Allow 6 to 14 days for Return/Reply

May   this  service  help  you  and  your  associates  understand
simulation  better for enrichment and creativity.  Your  comments
and feedback are welcome.

------------------------------

From: USENET News System <news@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>
Date: 29 Oct 90 02:48:42 GMT
To: comp-simulation@rutgers.edu
Subject: Submission for comp-simulation
Responding-System: iuvax.cs.indiana.edu

From: kellehe@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Mike Kelleher)
Newsgroups: comp.simulation
Subject: Re: SIMULATION DIGEST V18 N7
Date: 29 Oct 90 02:48:42 GMT
Sender: news@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu

The happenings at the SIGGRAPH meeting, are replated to my request. Several
other Graphics personnel and I here at Indiana Univeristy are trying to
compile a database of information on Virtual Environments and other related
data. In accordance with Univeristy Computing Services here at Indiana, we
will take any information that is sent to us over the net, organize and
catalogue the information and send out a completed packet to anyone who is
interested. Information on VR certainly can be found, but in order to get
a clearer idea of where VR is now and where it is going, data will have to be
gathered and recorded. Offical sources such as the Smithsonian in Washington,
DC and the Autodesk Corporation have pleged their support of this project and
will send (or have allready sent) us their available information.

	However, this database will not be complete until it is certain that
we have received as much information as possible on this subject. This database
is public, and therefore should be treated as such. Without all available
information, this database will not live up to it's full potential: to
bring all relevant information to all interested parties. It should also be
noted that this project, though University supported, is not University
organized, like many othe college research. This Database is replying solely
on the participants who will contribute and the dedication of the graphics
personnelhere at University Computing Services. Without outside public help,
it is too much for a financially unsupported, self-organized task.

	We would like to thank the people and sources that have helped us
so far in the effort, but we still need more support. Data and information
can be sent to us at these addresses at any time. Thank you.

Mike Kelleher
Univeristy Computing Services
VR Project

|  ii					|				    |_|
|  []	 Michael Kelleher 	        |         Virtual Environment 	      |
| ====					|	Database Project, 1990        |
|  ||	 University Computing Services  |       VR, Past Present & Future     |
|  ||	 Neat-Oh Enterprises		|	   Design and Research	      |
|  ||	 Kellehe@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu	|	-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-     |
|  ||	 Kellehe@silver.ucs.indiana.edu	|     Public Database in cooperation  |
|  ||	 Kellehe@ucs.indiana.edu	|   with University Computing Services|

END OF SIMULATION DIGEST