[comp.simulation] SIMULATION DIGEST V18 N9

simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu (Moderator: Paul Fishwick) (11/10/90)

Volume: 18, Issue: 9, Fri Nov  9 14:17:41 EST 1990

+----------------+
| TODAY'S TOPICS |
+----------------+

(1) WANTED: Petri Net Simulators
(2) Car Parking Models
(3) Simulation Digest Readership Statistics
(4) Simulation and ES Development in VLSI Patterning
(5) CALL: Workshop on Principles of Diagnosis
(6) CALL: European Simulation MultiConference 1991
(7) CALL: 1991 IEEE International Symposium on Intelligent Control

* Moderator: Paul Fishwick, Univ. of Florida
* Send topical mail to: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu OR
  post to comp.simulation via USENET
* Archives available via FTP to bikini.cis.ufl.edu (128.227.224.1).
  Login as 'ftp', use your last name as the password, change
  directory to pub/simdigest. Do 'type binary' before any file xfers.
* Simulation Tools available by doing above and changing the
  directory to pub/simdigest/tools.

Date: Tue, 30 Oct 90 16:20:42 EST
From: Hauke Jungnitz <hauke@ral.rpi.edu>
To: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu
Subject: Request for information on simulation of Petri Nets

I am working in the area of performance analysis using stochastic Petri
nets (SPN).  I need information regarding simulation packages for SPN,
specifically I am interested in the enabling history of transitions
and the corresponding performance measures, such as:
 - probability a transition is enabled
 - expected length of the enabling interval
 - variance of the enabling interval

I don't believe there are canned programs out there which can handle
these problems, so I am looking for someone who has simulated SPN's
with standard simulation packages such as SIMAN or GPSS and their
experiences with the associated overhead of doing the simulation.  I
would also like to know whether a translator exists which takes the
Petri net description and converts it to a bare bone simulation
program.
Hauke Jungnitz
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
CII Building, Suite 8123
Troy, NY 12180-3590

E-mail hauke@ral.rpi.edu

[[EDITOR: We have two Petri net simulation programs in our software
tools library (see tool extraction information above). They are located
in the tools directory. Here is some information on them:

gspn.tar.Z            This is comprehensive simulation program for
                      stochastic Petri net simulation. Written in C.

simpack.tar.Z         This is a C-based Simulation tool library including
                      programs. Capabilities exist for simulating both
                      continuous and discrete event models. Programs
                      exist to do Petri net simulation, Markov model
                      simulation, Network simulation and Finite State
                      Automata simulations. Two sample interpreters exist
                      for differential equation models and a small subset
                      of GPSS.

-PAF]]

------------------------------

To: cs.tcd.ie!comp-simulation
From: lundonj@ul.ie
Newsgroups: comp.simulation
Subject: Help required on car parking model
Date: 31 Oct 90 10:11:34 GMT

Hello comp.simulation readers,

           I am trying to construct a mathematical model of an
institutions car parking facilities and don't know where to start?
So what I would like people out there to do is reply a.s.a.p with
suggestions, references or anything that may help me along. What I
would really like is if somebody had done a discrete event simulation
of a model of the car parking or a similar type model in some high
language i.e SIMSCRIPT. That in itself will help me to understand
the underlying mathematics and modelling complications of the problem.

                Thanks in advance,

                 James A. Lundon.

|  James A. Lundon,                 |                                    |
|    Dept. of Mathematics           | "Regret for the things we did      |
|     University of Limerick,       |  can be tempered by time. It       |
|      Limerick,                    |  is the things that we did not     |
|       Ireland.                    |  do that is inconsolable"          |
|                                   |                                    |
|  Phone number (061) 333644 X 2148 |       Sidney J. Harris.            |
|  E-mail  lundonj@ul.ie            |                                    |

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 4 Nov 90 12:59:10 -0500
From: "Paul Fishwick" <fishwick@fish.cis.ufl.edu>
To: simulation@ufl.edu
Subject: Simulation Digest Readership Statistics

USENET Readership report for October 1990

[[EDITOR: Forwarded from the news.lists group. The original posting was
made by Brian Reid (reid@decwrl.dec.com). Information for comp.simulation
(Simulation Digest) was extracted from the original list -PAF]]

        +-- Estimated total number of people who read the group, worldwide.
        |     +-- Actual number of readers in sampled population
        |     |     +-- Propagation: how many sites receive this group at all
        |     |     |      +-- Recent traffic (messages per month)
        |     |     |      |      +-- Recent traffic (kilobytes per month)
        |     |     |      |      |      +-- Crossposting percentage
        |     |     |      |      |      |    +-- Cost ratio: $US/month/reader
        |     |     |      |      |      |    |      +-- Share: % of newsrders
        |     |     |      |      |      |    |      |   who read this group.
        V     V     V      V      V      V    V      V

     24000   583   89%     6   102.3     0%  0.00   2.0%  comp.simulation

------------------------------

To: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 90 21:48:24 CST
From: csd1453@ux.acs.umn.edu

Newsgroups: comp.simulation
Subject: Simulation and ES development in VLSI patterning

I would like to receive some information on the current status of
simulation programs and their use in the creation of diagnostic test
cases in the patterning (lithography and ion etching) phase of VLSI
fabrication.  I believe some work along this line has been conducted
at Stanford and Schlumberger at Palo Alto.  However, I am only just
beginning to look at these processes and am fast realizing the
complexities involved due to the dearth of parametric relationships
among process variables.  I intend to look at literature on qualitative
modeling to understand methods employed for conducting fault analysis
using non-parametric data.  I also intend to look at the capabilities
of two programs referenced in the literature - LITHO and SAMPLE.  Does
anyone know if these or any other packages can be integrated with
process and device simulators like SUPREM and PISCES?

Finally, has there been any work in using simulation knowledge for
developing ES's in this domain?

Any leads will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Sanjay Chatterjee
Information and Decision Sciences
University of Minnesota
sanjay@ux.,acs.umn.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Nov 90 18:42:08 cet
To: simulation@ufl.edu
From: lconsole%ITOINFO.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: "II Workshop on Principles of Diagnosis"

Please find enclosed the call for papers of the "Second International
Workshop on Principles of Diagnosis".
I encourage you to distribute locally to your colleagues.
If you have any questions about the workshop, please do not hesitate
to contact me.
Luca Console
Dip Informatica - Univ. Torino
Corso Svizzera 185,  10149 Torino  (Italy)
E-mail: lconsole@itoinfo.bitnet
Fax: (+39) 11 751603
Tel.: (+39) 11 771 2002

                   -------------------------------
                   C A L L    F O R    P A P E R S
                   -------------------------------
        SECOND INTERNATIONAL WORKSHOP ON PRINCIPLES OF DIAGNOSIS
                Milano (Italy), October 14-15-16, 1991
        Organized by CISE Tecnologie Innovative and Dipartimento di
        Informatica of Universita` di Torino
This workshop (which follows the successful one held at Stanford
University in 1990) encourages intensive and high quality interaction
and cooperation among researchers with a diversity of artificial
intelligence approaches to diagnosis. Attendance will be limited
to fifty participants with presentations spread over three days.
Substantial time will be reserved for discussion.
To attend, participants should submit papers (maximum 5000
words) to be reviewed by the committee. Submissions are
welcomed on (but not limited to) the following topics:
 -   Theory of diagnosis (abductive vs. deductive diagnosis,
    isolation vs. identification, diagnosis on non-monotonic
    theories, diagnosis of dynamic systems,...)
 -   Computational issues (controlling the combinatorial explosion,
    focusing strategies, controlling diagnostic reasoning of complex
    systems, ...)
 -   Modeling for diagnosis (multiple, approximate, probabilistic and
    qualitative models, integrating model-based diagnosis with
    heuristics ....)
 -   Evaluation of theories on practical applications
 -   Inductive approaches to diagnosis (Case-Based Reasoning,
    Neural Nets, ...)
Accepted papers can be revised for inclusion in the workshop
working notes. Although work published elsewhere is acceptable,
new original work is preferred.
Please send five copies of each submission to the chairman at
the postal address below. Include several ways of contacting the
principal author in addition to a postal address: electronic mail,
fax and telephone numbers are preferred, in that order. Please
indicate with your submission if you wish to make a
presentation or only to attend.
Submissions received after 3 May 1991 will not be considered.
The decisions of the committee will be mailed by 1 July 1991.
Chairman:       Luca Console
                Dipartimento di Informatica - Universit` di Torino
                Corso Svizzera 185,  10149 Torino  (Italy)
                E-mail: lconsole@itoinfo.bitnet
                Fax: (+39) 11 751603      Tel.: (+39) 11 771 2002
Committee: I. Bratko (U. Ljubljana), P. Dague (IBM), J. de Kleer
(Xerox), G. Guida (U. Brescia), K. Eshghi (HP), W. Hamscher (Price
Waterhouse), M. Kramer (MIT), W. Nejdl (T.U. Wien), J. Pearl (UCLA),
D. Poole (U. British Columbia), O. Raiman (Xerox), J. Reggia (U.
Maryland), J. Sticklen (Michigan State U.), P. Struss (Siemens), P.
Szolovits (MIT), G. Tornielli (CISE).
Organizing Committee: M. Migliavacca (CISE, chairman), M.
Gallanti (CISE), A. Giordana (U. Torino), L. Lesmo (U. Torino).
Secretarial Support: A. Camnasio, CISE,  P.O. Box 12081, 20134
Milano, Tel (+39) 2 21672400, Fax (+39) 2 26920587.
This workshop is sponsored by AI*IA and ECCAI.
Sponsorship required to AAAI.

------------------------------

Date:         Fri, 09 Nov 90 08:16:12 CST
From: "George Zobrist, Professor" <C2816@UMRVMB.UMR.EDU>
Subject:      call for papers european simulation multiconference 1991
To: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu

         CALL FOR PAPERS - EUROPEAN SIMULATION MULTICONFERENCE 1991

                  COPENHAGEN, DENMARK - JUNE 17-19, 1991

                     SIMULATION METHODOLOGIES PROGRAM

PROGRAM CHAIR: DR. RASSUL AYANI, ROYAL INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY, SWEDEN
CONFERENCE CHAIR: DR. GEORGE W. ZOBRIST, UNIVERSITY OF MISSOURI-ROLLA

THE SIMULATION METHODOLOGY CONFERENCE IS SOLICITING EXTENDED ABSTRACTS ON
THE FOLLOWING SUBJECTS:
  O SIMULATION LANGUAGES
  O DISCRETE AND CONTINUOUS MODEL BUILDING
  O MODEL QUALITY ANALYSIS
  O OBJECT ORIENTED MODELING
  O NUMERICAL METHODS
  O SPECIAL ARCHITECTURES
  O USER FRIENDLY TOOLS
  O USE OF DATA BASES IN SIMULATION
  O OUTPUT ANALYSES
  O KNOWLEDGE BASED SIMULATION TOOLS AND ENVIRONMENTS
  O ADVANCED TRAINING SIMULATOR CONCEPTS

DEADLINES/REQUIREMENTS
 ----------------------

EXTENDED ABSTRACTS (TWO PAGES TYPEWRITTEN WITHOUT DRAWINGS AND TABLES )
ARE TO BE SENT TO ( BY DECEMBER 1, 1990 ):

DR. GEORGE W. ZOBRIST, CONFERENCE CHAIRMAN
DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE
UNIVERSITY OF MISSOURI-ROLLA
ROLLA, MISSOURI  65401

PHONE: 314-341-4836
EMAIL: C2816@UMRVMB.UMR.EDU (INTERNET) OR C2816@UMRVMB (BITNET)
FAX: 314-341-4501

PLEASE INCLUDE FULL NAME, AFFILIATION, ADDRESS, PHONE NUMBERS OF EACH
AUTHOR AND DESIGNATE THE AUTHOR WHICH IS TO BE CONTACTED. EMAIL SUBMITTAL
IS ACCEPTABLE.

ONLY ORIGINAL PAPERS WHICH HAVE NOT PREVIOUSLY BEEN PUBLISHED ELSEWHERE WILL
BE ACCEPTED.

NOTIFICATION OF REJECTION/ACCEPTANCE WILL BE SENT BY JANUARY 15, 1991
ACCEPTED PAPERS WILL BE DUE BY MARCH 20, 1991 AND WILL BE PUBLISHED IN
THE CONFERENCE PROCEEDINGS.

CONFERENCE WILL BE HELD AT THE PANUM INSTITUTE, COPENHAGEN, DENMARK,
JUNE 17-19, 1991. CONFERENCE SPONSERED BY SOCIETY OF COMPUTER SIMULATION

========================================================================T

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Nov 90 12:20 EST
From: KOKAR@northeastern.edu
Subject: Intelligent Control Conference
To: simulation@ufl.edu

CALL FOR PAPERS

1991 IEEE INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON INTELLIGENT CONTROL

August 13-15,1991
Key Bridge Marriott
Arlington, Virginia

Sponsored by the IEEE Control Systems Society

General Chairman:        Harry E. Stephanou,
                         Rensselaer Polytechnic lnstitute
Program Chairman:        Alexander H. Levis,
                         George Mason University
Finance Chairman:        Elizabelh R.  Ducot,
                         MlT Lincoln Labs
Registration Chairman :  Umit Ozguner,
                         Ohio State University
Publications Chairman:   Mieczyslaw Kokar,
                         Northeastern University
Local Arrangements:      James E.  Gaby,
                         UNYSlS Corporation

The 6th IEEE International Symposium on Intelligent Control (ISIC 91 )
will be held in conjunction with the 1991 IFAC Symposium on
Distributed Intelligence Systems.  Registrants in either symposium
will be able to attend all technical and social events in both
symposia and will receive preprint volumes from both.

The ISIC 91 theme will be "Integrating Quantitative and Symbolic
Processing".  The design and analysis of automatic control systems
have traditionally been based on rigorous, numerical techniques for
modeling and optimization. Conventional controllers perform well in
the presence of random disturbances, and can adapt to relatively small
changes in fairly well known environments.  Intelligent controllers
are designed to operate in unknown environments and, therefore,
require much higher levels of adaptation to unexpected events.  They
are also required to process and interpret large quantities of sensor
data, and use the results for action planning or replanning.  The
design of intelligent controllers, therefore, incorporates heuristic
and/or symbolic tools from artificial intelligence.  Such tools which
have traditionally been applied to open-loop, off-line problems, must
now be integrated into the perception-reasoning-action closed loop of
intelligent controllers.  Effective methods for the integration of
numerical and symbolic processing schemes are needed.  Robustness and
graceful degradation issues must be addressed.  Reconfigurable
feedback loops at varying levels of abstraction should be considered.

Papers are being solicited ior presentation at the Symposium and
publication in the Symposium Proceedings.  Topics include, but are not
limited to, the following:

Intelligent control architectures       Reasoning under uncertainty
Self-organizing systems                 Sensor-based robot control
Fault detection and error recovery      Cellular robotics
Intelligent manufacturing control       Microelectro-mechanical
systems                                 systems
Discrete event systems                  Variable precision reasoning
Concurrent engineering                  Active sensing and perception
Neural network controllers              Multisensor data fusion
Hierarchical controllers                Intelligent inspection
Learning control systems                Intelligent database systems
Autonomous control systems              Microelectronics,advanced materials,
Knowledge representation for            and other novel applications
real-time processing

Five copies of papers should be sent by February 15,1991 to:

   Professor Alexander H. Levis
   Dept. of ECE
   George Mason University
   Fairfax, VA 22030-4444
   Telephone: 703-764-6282

A separate cover sheet with the name of the corresponding author,
telephone and fax numbers, and e-mail address should also be included.
Authors will be notified of acceptance by April 15, 1991. Accepted
papers, in final camera ready form, will be due on May 15, 1991.

Proposals for invited sessions and tutorial workshops are also
solicited.  Cohesive sessions focusing on successful applications are
particularly encouraged. Requests for additional information and
proposal submissions (by February 15, 1991) should be addressed to
Professor Levis.

Symposium Program Committee:
Suguru Arimoto, University of Tokyo     Vivek V, Badami, General Electric
John Baras, University of Maryland      Research Lab
Piero Bonissone, General Electric       Hamid Berenji, NASA Ames
Research Lab                            V.T. Chien, National Science
David B. Cooper, Brown University       Foundation
David A.  Dornfeld, University          Kenneth J. DeJong, George Mason
of California, Berkeley                 University
Judy A.  Franklin, GTE Laboratories     Masakazu Ejiri, Hitachi
Janos Gertler, George Mason Univesity   Roger Geesey, BDM International
Roderic Grupen, University of           George Giralt, LAAS
Massachusetts                           William A. Gruver, University of
Susan Hackwood, University of           Kentucky
California, Riverside                   Thomas Henderson, Uiversity of Utah
Joseph K. Kearney, University of        Pradeep Khosla, Carnegie Mellon
Iowa                                    University
Yves Kodratoff, Universite de Paris     Benjamin Kuipers, University of Texas,
Michael B. Leahy, Air Force Institute   Austin
of Technology                           Gaston H. Lefranc, Universidad Catolica
Ramiro Liscano, Nat'l Research Council  Valparaiso
of Canada                               Ronald Lumia, NIST
Yukio Mieda, Honda Engineering Co.,Ltd  Thang N. Nguyen, IBM Corporation
Kevin M. Passino, Ohio State            Michael A.Peshkin, Northwestern
University                              University
Roger T. Schappell, Martin Marietta     Yoshiaki Shirai, Osaka University
Marwan Simaan, University of            Janos Sztipanovits, Vanderbilt
Pittsburgh                              University
Zuheir Tumeh, General Motors Research   Kimon P. Valavanis, Northeastern
Labs                                    University
Agostino Villa, Politecnico di Torino   John Wen, Rensselaer Polytechnic
                                        Institute

END OF SIMULATION DIGEST