[comp.simulation] SIMULATION DIGEST V18 N10

simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu (Moderator: Paul Fishwick) (11/14/90)

Volume: 18, Issue: 10, Wed Nov 14 09:08:01 EST 1990

+----------------+
| TODAY'S TOPICS |
+----------------+

(1) CALL: International Symposium on Artificial Intelligence
(2) Simulating Satellite and ISDN Networks with Network II.5
(3) IDEF Factory Modeling Programs
(4) COMP.LANG.VHDL: Final Call for Discussion
(5) Performance Simulation and Analysis
(6) Availability of SIMULA for IBM Computers
(7) CALL: Workshop on Multiple Models

* Moderator: Paul Fishwick, Univ. of Florida
* Send topical mail to: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu OR
  post to comp.simulation via USENET
* Archives available via FTP to bikini.cis.ufl.edu (128.227.224.1).
  Login as 'ftp', use your last name as the password, change
  directory to pub/simdigest. Do 'type binary' before any file xfers.
* Simulation Tools available by doing above and changing the
  directory to pub/simdigest/tools.

Date:         Fri, 09 Nov 90 12:44:01 CST
From: "Centro de Inteligencia Artificial(ITESM)" <ISAI@TECMTYVM.MTY.ITESM.MX>
Subject:      CALL FOR PAPERS
To: alife@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu, ag-exp-l%ndsuvm1.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu,
        ai-chi@LLL-LCC.LLNL.GOV, ai-ed@sumex-aim.stanford.edu, ca@think.com,
        clp.x@xerox.com, mod-ki%unido.irb@unido.bitnet,
        cvnet%yorkvm1.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu, cybsys-l@bingvmb.bitnet,
        fineart%ecs.umass.edu@relay.cs.net, fj-ai%etl.jp@relay.cs.net,
        ga-list@aic.nrl.navy.mil, fox@vtopus.cs.vt.edu,
        lantra-l%finhutc.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu, nl-kr@cs.rochester.edu,
        nnsc@nnsc.nsf.net, simulation@ufl.edu,
        simulator-users@cs.rochester.edu, lseward@RAND.ORG,
        vision-list@ADS.COM

       INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE

                  APPLICATIONS IN INFORMATICS:
    Software Engineering, Data Base Systems, Computer Networks,
     Programming Environments, Management Information Systems,
                    Decision Support Systems.

               C A L L    F O R    P A P E R S
                      Preliminary Version.

     The Fourth International Sysmposium on Artificial Intelligence
     will be held in Cancun Mexico on November 13-15, 1991.
     The Symposium is sponsored by the ITESM (Instituto Tecnologico
     y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey) in cooperation with the
     International Joint Conferences on Artificial Intelligence Inc.,
        the American Association for Artificial Intelligence,
     the Canadian Society for Computational Studies of Intelligence,
   the Sociedad Mexicana de Inteligencia Artificial and IBM of Mexico.

     Papers from all countries are sought that:
(1)  Present applications of artificial intelligence technology
     to the solution of problems in Software Engineering, Data
     Base Systems, Computer Networks, Programming Environments,
     Management Information Systems, Decision Support Systems
     and other Informatics technologies; and
(2)  Describe research on techniques to accomplish such applications,
(3)  Address the problem of transfering the AI Technology in
     different socio-economic contexts and environments.

    Areas of application include but are no limited to:
       Software development, software design, software testing and
       validation, computer-aided software engineering, programming
       environments, structured techniques, intelligent databases,
       operating systems, intelligent compilers, local networks,
       computer network design, satellite and telecommunications,
       MIS and data processing applications, intelligent decision
       support systems.
   AI techniques include but are not limited to:
       Expert systems, knowledge acquisition and representation,
       natural language processing, computer vision, neural
       networks and genetic algorithms, automated learning,
       automated reasoning, search and problem solving,
       knowledge engineering tools and methodologies.

   Persons wishing to submit a paper should send five copies written
in English to:
              Hugo Terashima, Program Chair
              Centro de Inteligencia Artificial, ITESM.
              Ave. Eugenio Garza Sada 2501, Col.Tecnologico
              C.P. 64849 Monterrey, N.L. Mexico
       Tel.(52-83) 58-2000 Ext.5134
       Telefax (52-83) 58-1400 Dial Ext.5143 or 58-2000 Ask Ext.5143
       Net address: ISAI@tecmtyvm.bitnet or ISAI@tecmtyvm.mty.itesm.mx

       The paper should identify the area and technique to which it
belongs. Extended abstract is not required. Use a serif type font,
size 10, sigle-spaced with a maximum of 10 pages. No papers will be
accepted by electronic means.

Important dates:
       Papers must be received by April 30,1991. Authors will be
notified of acceptance or rejection by June 15,1991. A final copy
of each accepted paper, camera ready for inclusion in the Symposium
proceedings, will be due by July 15,1991.

------------------------------

To: comp-simulation@beaver.cs.washington.edu
From: jgabriel@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx (Juan Gabriel Ruiz Pinto)
Newsgroups: comp.simulation
Subject: Network II.5
Date: 11 Nov 90 20:32:16 GMT

     I'm working on two simulations with the Network II.5 package.
I'm simulating a satellite network and an ISDN one. The satellite
network works with NEC products. NEC uses a propietary protocol for
the satellite link called AA/TDMA (Adaptive Assign/Time Division
Multiple Access), wich is a combination of Slot Aloha, reservation
and preasignment protocols.
     I'm interested in contact with people had worked with this
kind of protocol simulation, I have some ideas but it don't works
at all. If any body has experience with ISDN too I'll apreciate
your commente and suggests.

     Thank's a lot..

 --
*****   Greetings from Mexico!   *****
Juan Gabriel Ruiz Pinto                   Internet:

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Nov 90 11:43 +8:00
From: Chambers_NG@cc.curtin.edu.au
Subject: Modelling Programs
Sender: Noel Chambers <TCHAMBERS03@cc.curtin.edu.au>
To: comp-simulation@munnari.oz.au

From: Chambers_NG@cc.curtin.edu.au
Newsgroups: comp.simulation
Date: 12 Nov 90 11:42:39 AWST
News-Moderator: Approval required for posting to comp.simulation

I would like to know any information with regards to the following
IDEF factory modelling programs:
	IDEFine
	IDEF/Leverage
	ICAM
We are presently using XCELLPRO but are pushing it to its limits.
We are waiting for Version 4. Would it be a good move to change to
one of the above programs? Is there other programs that are better
than any of these?

Please EMAIL me as I dont get to read the news often
All help is appreciated.

| PSImail: psi%050529452300070::TCHAMBERS03            |   NOEL CHAMBERS   |
| Internet: TCHAMBERS03@cc.curtin.edu.au               |  RESEARCH OFFICER |
| ACSnet: TCHAMBERS03@cc.cut.oz.au                     | WOOL AND TEXTILES |
| Bitnet: TCHAMBERS03%cc.curtin.edu.au@cunyvm.bitnet   |                   |
| UUCP  : uunet!munnari.oz!cc.curtin.edu.au!TCHAMBERS03| MURESK INST OF AG |

------------------------------

To: comp-simulation@unido.informatik.uni-dortmund.de
From: dettmer@jupiter.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Thomas Dettmer)
Newsgroups: comp.lsi.cad,news.groups,comp.arch,comp.simulation
Subject: FINAL CALL FOR DISCUSSION comp.lang.vhdl
Date: 13 Nov 90 10:29:26 GMT
Sender: laura!news@relay.EU.net

FINAL CALL FOR DISCUSSION (see followup)

The original call is included below. According to the discussion until
today there are only 2 important points which have been discussed:
1. The group will have a periodic posting on frequently asked questions. I'm
   the volunteer for this job (needs your support). This was suggested by a
   lot of people.
2. we stay with comp.lang.vhdl, there were only few people who suggested
   comp.lang.hdl comp.lang.hdl.vhdl comp.lang.hdl.edif comp.lang.hdl.<other>
Of course there were a lot of other good reasons to have such a group.

Original call:

NAME:
     comp.lang.vhdl

STATUS:
    unmoderated

CHARTER:

VHDL-1076 (VHSIC (Very High Speed Integrated Circuits) Hardware Describtion
Language) is an IEEE Standard scince 1987. It is "a formal notation intended
for use in all phases of the creation of electronic systems. ... it supports
the development, verification, synthesis, and testing of hardware designs,
the communication of hardware design data ..." [Preface to the IEEE Standard
VHDL Language Reference Manual] and especially the SIMULATION of hardware
describtions. Additionally VHDL-models are a DoD requirement for vendors.

Today simulation systems and other tools (synthesis, verification and others)
based on VHDL are available. The VHDL users community is growing fast.
Several international conferences organized by the VHDL Users Groups(s) have
been held with relevant interest. Other international conferences adress the
topic with growing interest as well (Conference on Hardware Description
Languages -CHDL-, [European] Design Automation Conference -[Euro]DAC ...).

This group is a forum to discuss all problems related with the VHDL Language
and tools supporting VHDL. Important topics are (without restriction to
other ideas):
    Problems with the language [reference manual].
    Books on VHDL.
    Design example exchange.
    Available tools, their features and problems. (compilers, simulation,
        synthesis, verification ...)
    Coding conventions.
    The varios groups and activities in/beside VHDL (WAVES, VASG...)
    Conferences on VHDL

WHY A NEW GROUP:
There are currently a lot of tools based on VHDL. As far as I know, they are
all commercial, ranging fromm $500 (PC Version Simulator) to <unbounded>. A
lot of people are working on tools and more are using the available ones.
Some discussions in various groups and mailing lists prove that there is
growing interest and a lot of questions/problems have to be solved. It
seems, that there will be enough traffic in the new group to justify the
creation.

SCHEDULE:

1. DISCUSSION
    The discussion period begins on monday, october 22.
    It ends on tuesday, november 20.
    (possibly continued by email)

2. VOTE (changed)
    The discussion is successfull and has enough responses until today. I'll
    post the call for votes that the voting period begins on
    monday, november 26. There will be a 21 days voting period with two mail
    adresses to send your votes to. (one preferred for US, one preferred for
    europe, choice is free! both will accept yes and no votes, the only reason
    for 2 adresses is to offer two possibilities. Each vote is counted only
    once for each sender adress!) We hope to create the group after an
    additional waiting period of 5 days.

Please respect, that the follow-up of a CALL FOR DISUSSION is news.groups.
Send your opinions to this call - otherwise there will be no comp.lang.vhdl.
All comments are welcome.

tom
email: dettmer@saturn.ls1.informatik.uni-dortmund.de
snail mail:                               phone: +49-231 755 4825
        Thomas Dettmer
    University of Dortmund                FAX: +49-231 75 15 32
Departement of Computer Science I
       Post Box 50 05 00
      D-4600 Dortmund 50
  Federal Republic of Germany (West)
email: dettmer@saturn.ls1.informatik.uni-dortmund.de
phone: +49-231 755 4825                FAX: +49-231 755 2386
snail mail: Thomas Dettmer, Dortmund University, Computer Science I
       Post Box 50 05 00, W-4600 Dortmund 50, Federal Republic of Germany

------------------------------

To: unido!comp-simulation@relay.EU.net
From: cadlab!alpha@relay.EU.net (Vennbur)
Newsgroups: comp.simulation
Subject: RE: References on Performance Evaluation
Date: 13 Nov 90 14:35:52 GMT

Can you please send me references on books, articles, etc. about
Performance Simulation/Analysis.
I am also interested in some tools that are pratically used in
industry or at Universities.

I will post a summary to the net.

Thank You In Advance
	Walter

Walter Schulte-Vennbur
Cadlab
Bahnhofstr. 32
D-4790 Paderborn
F.R.G

Email:	alpha@cadlab.uucp
        alpha@cadlab.cadlab.de
	... !uunet!unido!cadlab!alpha

------------------------------

To: COMP-SIMULATION@gatech.edu
Date: Tuesday, 13 Nov 1990 15:43:10 EST
From: Tony D'Amato <NAD100T@ODUVM.CC.ODU.EDU>
Newsgroups: bit.listserv.simula,comp.simulation
Subject: Availability of SIMULA for IBM Computers

I used to use an excellent implementation of SIMULA on Old Dominion
University's DECSystem-10 computer several years ago. Is such an
implementation (or at least a reasonable facimily) available for
IBM System/370 mainframes? I'm talking either an MVS or CMS (MVS
prefered, but CMS is ok) implementation...especially if it is
cheap.

Thanks for any help that you can give...
 -------
Tony D'Amato                     | "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped,
Old Dominion University          |  indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered!
E-Mail: NAD100T@ODUVM.BITNET     |  My life is my own."        --Number 6
 -or-    nad100t@oduvm.cc.odu.edu | .....................from _The_Prisoner_

------------------------------

Sender: <qphysics-request@cs.washington.edu>
From: sut@iitb.fhg.de
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 90 12:13:42 MEZ
To: qphysics@cs.washington.edu
Subject: SPQR-Workshop

[[EDITOR: This was forwarded from the Qualitative Physics
  mailing list -PAF]]

                            CALL FOR PAPERS

                  SPQR - Workshop on Multiple Models

                            March 12 and 13

                            Karlsruhe, FRG

Qualitative Modeling and Reasoning is the focus of the ESPRIT "Special
Project on Qualitative Reasoning" (SPQR). The project supports several
workshops on special aspects of Qualitative Reasoning. One of these special
aspects - namely the study of multiple models - will be discussed at this
2-day-workshop at the Fraunhofer Institute for Information and Dataprocessing
in Karlsruhe (FRG).

Using multiple models of the same original seems to be a promising way to
deal with the tension between accuracy and handiness of a model. These
models may reflect different aspects or different views of the same object,
or represent the same object under different granularities or in different
formalisms.

The efficient use of multiple models affords some heuristic guidance about
how to select a model and how to efficiently combine the knowledge derived
from various models for some actual problem solving task.

Topics:
   We are interested in any of the following themes:
   - Formalization of relations between different models
   - Management of model bases, especially regarding consistency
   - Heuristics and requirements from experience with multiple models
     in application areas (e.g. diagnosis, planning, construction etc.)
     concerning e.g.
        - selection of the "best model"
        - changing the model
        - combining information from different models
        - combining qualitative and quantitative models
   - Any other interesting aspect of dealing with multiple models

Please submit extended abstracts (2-5 pages) addressing one of the topics
above. The number of participants at the workshop will be restricted to
20 - 30 persons, according to the submitted papers. In order to give room
to discussions there will be about 8 - 10 talks at the workshop.

Organizing Committee:
   J. Campbell, University College London, UK
   F. Gardin, Universita di Milano, Italy
   B. Faltings, Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne, Switzerland
   H.-W. Fruechtenicht, FhG-IITB Karlsruhe, FRG
   R. Leitch, Heriot-Watt University Edinburgh, UK
   P. Struss, Siemens AG Muenchen, FRG

Important dates:
   Deadline for extended abstracts:    January 15, 1991
   Notification of acceptance:         February 15, 1991
   Workshop:                           March 12 and 13, 1991

Information:
   Extended abstracts and queries regarding the workshop should be sent to:

        Gerhard Sutschet
        FhG - IITB
        Fraunhoferstr. 1
        FRG-7500 Karlsruhe 1