[comp.simulation] SIMULATION DIGEST V19 N3

simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu (Moderator: Paul Fishwick) (12/13/90)

Volume: 19, Issue: 3, Wed Dec 12 20:50:24 EST 1990

+----------------+
| TODAY'S TOPICS |
+----------------+

(1) RE: Recent Inquiries
(2) CALL: Workshop on Computer Aided Systems Theory
(3) Modelling and Simulating LANs
(4) SPECIAL: Simulation Tools (A Review)

* Moderator: Paul Fishwick, Univ. of Florida
* Send topical mail to: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu OR
  post to comp.simulation via USENET
* Archives available via FTP to bikini.cis.ufl.edu (128.227.224.1).
  Login as 'ftp', use your last name as the password, change
  directory to pub/simdigest. Do 'type binary' before any file xfers.
* Simulation Tools available by doing above and changing the
  directory to pub/simdigest/tools.

Date: Wed, 5 Dec 90 08:41:02 EST
From: Richard E. Nance - SRC <srcnance@popeye.cs.vt.edu>
To: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu
Subject: Recent Inquiries
Cc: janlee@vtopus.cs.vt.edu

Heavens, do I feel old when people ask questions like

    "What is the language dynamo (sic) like and how do I get it?"

                         and

    "Does anyone know anything about the history of Simscript
        and if it is still used?"

Bet Joe Annino at CACI loved that last one.

Pugh-Roberts & Associates (I believe) still distributes Dynamo,
although whether it is Dynamo II or III or ? is not in my knowledge
base.  The second question does suggest to me the need to document
the history of Simscript.  We have good documentation on Simula and
GPSS (History of Programming Languages, Academic Press, 1980) but
the only historical description of Simscript, as I recall, is in
Jean Sammet's book on programming languages.  Someone should capture
this material while Markowitz, Kiviat and others are still around
and capable of contributing.  Maybe this is a task of interest to
Annals of the History of Computing.

Dick Nance

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 5 Dec 1990 13:38 MST
From: ZEIGLER%EVAX2@Arizona.edu
Subject: Eurocast
To: fishwick@fish.cis.ufl.edu

Call for papers: Eurocast '91: Second International Workshop on
Computer Aided Systems Theory, Krems Austria, Aprill 15-19, 1991.
Send 3 copies of an extended abstract before Jan. 20, 1991 to
Prof. Franz Pichler, Institute of Systems Science, Kepler University,
A-4040 Linz, Austria. Fax: +43 732 2468 896, email: k323290@aearn.bitnet.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 6 Dec 90 15:58:29 EST
From: rkimble@NSWC-WO.ARPA (Robert Kimble)
To: fishwick@fish.cis.ufl.edu
Subject: LAN Modelling Software

	I am interested in purchasing a software package which is geared
towards modelling and simulating local area networks and I'd like to get some
suggestions as to what is currently available that would best satisfy my
requirements and perhaps some pros/cons of the competing packages.

The basic requirements are:

The package should be able to model the effects of using different networking
media and networked devices.  The package should have pre-defined (or "canned")
all of the necessary characteristics required for accurate modelling of
industry-standardized or very popular network media and devices. In particular
FDDI, IEEE 802.x, IBM Token Ring as well as point-to-point medias would be
required.  Network devices would include IBM XT and AT class computers using
3COM ethernet cards, Sun Microsystems workstations, and 3COM and ciscoSystems
bridges and routers.
The package should also allow for changing the values of those pre-defined
characteristics to enable modelling of non-industry-stasndardized or popular
equipment.
The networks to be modelled will be using standard networking protocols (mainly
just three different ones: TCP/IP, IPX, and GOSIP).  Are there any modelling
packages that model the transport layer protocols of these three networking
protocols? Or are the effect of the transport layer protols not significant. I
would think that the flow control (windowing) mechanisms of the transport layer would have a predominant effect especially when slow devices such as PCs
are receiving from faster devices such as workstations.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

				Robert Kimble
				rkimble@nswc-wo.navy.mil
				301-394-4225

------------------------------

To: uunet!comp-simulation@uunet.UU.NET
From: motcid!reilly@uunet.UU.NET  (Patrick L. Reilly)
Newsgroups: comp.simulation,local.tools.local
Subject: Re: SIMSCRIPT(& Tools for You!)
Date: 7 Dec 90 20:39:39 GMT

simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu writes:

:I am curious about the historical background of SIMSCRIPT.
:Does anyone have any info?
:Also is it still a popular language for simulation?
:If not, what is?

Was developed by Markowitz (current Nobel Prize Winner for
economics) and others at Rand Corporation during 60s.

Still very popular language. The government uses it alot.
Some 440K lines of code used in a SDI project. Also several
battle management tools exist.

I use it as my primary language to code complex simulations.
It has all the power of FORTRAN and/or C and then some.
That power comes at a price...CPU performance is about 2-3 times
slower than FORTRAN or C.

Any simulationist worth the name should have a suite of simulation
tools. Here are mine(means that I USE them, too)...

	1. Simscript II.5 for code-level programs of any complexity
	2. SES/Workbench for graphical simulation modeling
	3. Simpak, public domain implementation of SIMPL
	4. Mathematica
	5. GPSS/H student version (100 blocks only! But what a challenge!)
	6. QSB+
	7. PROBMOD/LINPROG
	8. COMNET II.5

I run all of this and more on a Sun 3/470 color workstation. From time
to time I also use NCSA CRAYs, too. Simscript is available on the
CRAYS as well, but I have not used it there.

Ok, here is a run down of the items mentioned:

1. CACI, Inc. LaJolla, CA. Call 619-457-9681 $20-50K
	Worth every penny if you are an applied scientist like
myself and not interested in the subtleties of computer science. I have
not found anything I could not accomplish with it. Also includes
a graphical simulation animator interface to build user screens, icons,
menus, etc.

2. SES, Inc., Austin, Tx. Call 512-474-4526 $26-45K
	Nothing currently available comes close to this product. It is
a graphical environment by the company that brought us the PAWS
simulator. Lots of object-oriented extensions. Just connect icons from
libraries and run. Build your own with method blocks using C-language.
Planning a Software thru Pictures interface 1st qtr 91. Also VHDL
planned. Can simulate a VLSI chip or an ethernet. Company is still
learning how to deal with large customers, so you will have to
educate them about your particular needs sometimes. I predict that
this tool will be the standard by which others will be judged.

3. Available from this newsgroup ftp site. FREE!
	If you just getting started in simulation find TWO books:
	-Simulation Modeling & Analysis, Law/Kelton, McGraw-Hill, 1990
	-Simulating Computer Systems, MacDougall, MIT Press, 1987
The first book, now in 2nd Edition, has it all. Even the source simulation
tool code in Fortran is included. This is Simulation 101, folks. My
bible!
The second book describes a C-implemention of SIMPL, a basic simulation
tool used by the author for everything from queueing to ethernets. This
newsgroup has had several postings about Dr. Fishwick's SIMPAK tool.
Consider it a more refined version of SIMPL and much more. Get it!!!
[I leave it to the moderator to include the ftp information.]

4. Mathematica needs no introduction. Nor any comments. Right?
   Call any computer store for a copy.

5. Wolverine Software Corp., Call 703-750-3910 $40!!!
	Get their student version and a book by Banks, Getting
Started Using GPSS/H for a trivial sum. Comes with disk for
PC. Limits you to 100 GPSS/H blocks. Full PC and workstation
versions about $3K-20K. This is NOT the old GPSS of the IBM
flavor. It is FAST! Old GPSS was an interpreter, GPSS/H is
not. I love the challenge of seeing how complex a model I can
build with only 100 blocks. Sooner or later, I will spring
for the full version. Be prepared, though. It is not like
any language you have encountered, unless you are used to
op codes and assembly language!

6. From Prentice-Hall Publishers. $35!!!!
	Quantitative Systems for Business Plus is a book with
software for PCs aimed at the beginning operations researcher.
Lots of nifty algorithms implemented in a friendly interface.
I use it for quick solutions to queueing theory questions,
linear programming,transportation problems,network/critical
path modeling,PERT,dynamic programming,inventory theory,
decision and probability theory,Markov processes and time
series forecasting. It even comes with a queueing simulator!
Call P-H or visit a local university bookstore in the
operations research book section.

7. From McGraw-Hill. $65!!!!
	These programs accompany Hillier/Lieberman's ever-popular
book, Introduction to Operations Research. It is also available
in a two-volume set. The BEST BOOK ON THE SUBJECT! Hillier's
son, Mark, wrote the programs and they run on a PC or Mac, so
get the correct version. I use these as much as I use QSB+.
There are differences and I mainly wanted the book.

8. Available from CACI, Inc. $25-35K
	Written in about 50K lines of Simscript with a graphical
user interface. A programming-free communications network
simulation tool. Circuit,packet,virtual,message-switching
supported. Lots of the usual standards, too. I can whip out
a C7 signaling network simulation in a hour or less with it so
I like it! Haven't seen anything else out there that compares
to it. This just shows you how powerful the Simscript language
is, folks. Buy the compiler, write a tool, sell it and get
rich!

That about does it. Yes, I missed your favorite package. Well
I happen to not be fond of OPNET,CSIM,SIMULA,GPSS/PC,SLAMII,etc.
So there!

Good luck and hope this helps you get started.

END OF SIMULATION DIGEST