[comp.simulation] SIMULATION DIGEST V19 N7

simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu (Moderator: Paul Fishwick) (01/17/91)

Volume: 19, Issue: 7, Wed Jan 16 13:05:33 EST 1991

+----------------+
| TODAY'S TOPICS |
+----------------+

(1) WANTED: Object-Oriented Simulation Library
(2) A Brief History of SimScript
(3) WANTED: Simulations Based on Common Lisp
(4) SOFTWARE: Network Simulators
(5) News Group for Engineers
(6) WANTED: Info. on Thermal Analysis Systems

* Moderator: Paul Fishwick, Univ. of Florida
* Send topical mail to: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu OR
  post to comp.simulation via USENET
* Archives available via FTP to bikini.cis.ufl.edu (128.227.224.1).
  Login as 'ftp', use your last name as the password, change
  directory to pub/simdigest. Do 'type binary' before any file xfers.
* Simulation Tools available by doing above and changing the
  directory to pub/simdigest/tools.

Date: Mon, 7 Jan 91 11:46 CST
From: MICHAEL@SIM2.LABMED.UMN.EDU
Subject: OO simulation libraries?
To: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu

I am part of a group that has developed software for discrete event models
of disease propogation.  We are planning to move from FORTRAN to C++.  Can
anyone provide pointers to existing work, particularly object libraries, for
models of interacting objects that are also effecient enough to handle
thousands of objects?

Thanks,  Michael Altmann
michael@sim2.labmed.umn.edu
michael@umnhcs.bitnet

------------------------------

From: mailrus!umich!samsung!uunet!cacilj!doug@bikini.cis.ufl.edu (Doug Dittrich)
Subject: Comp.Simulation posting
To: umich!fish.cis.ufl.edu!fishwick
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 91 12:02:05 GMT

[[MODERATOR: Since there has been significant discussion of SimScript II.5
features and capabilities, I asked Doug Dittrich if he would provide some
general information on SimScript for your benefit -PAF]]

             A Brief History of SIMSCRIPT II.5

   SIMSCRIPT was originally developed by Markowitz, Hausner,
and Karr at RAND Corporation in 1962.  SIMSCRIPT was
originally implemented as a FORTRAN pre-processor.  It
required coding forms.

   SIMSCRIPT I.5 was developed in 1964 by Markowitz, Kleine,
and Russell at CACI.  A SIMSCRIPT I.5 compiler was developed
to compile SIMSCRIPT I.5 source code into machine object
code.

   SIMSCRIPT II was derived by Markowitz, Kiviat, and
Villanueva at RAND in 1968.  It eliminated the coding forms
and created an English-like free-form language.

   SIMSCRIPT II Plus was created by Kiviat, Kleine, and
Villanueva at Simulation Associates in 1969.  It was
SIMSCRIPT II with language additions and performance
improvements.

   SIMSCRIPT II.5 was developed by Markowitz, Johnson,
Delfosse, and Russell at CACI in 1971.  It was SIMSCRIPT II
Plus with all the unimplemented features fully implemented.
CACI in La Jolla, California has continued to support and
enhance this version.

   The genius behind SIMSCRIPT is Harry Markowitz, co-
founder of CACI and recently the winner of a Nobel Prize in
Economics.

              Present Status of SIMSCRIPT II.5

   SIMSCRIPT II.5 is fully supported by CACI and in use by
4,312 organizations world-wide.  Recent new users include:
Air Canada, CERN, IBM, Port of Singapore Authority, NASA,
FAA, AT&T, Hexale, UNISYS, Telesat Mobile, SAIC, British
Aerospace, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Teledyne, Motorola,
Duke Power, JPL, Lockheed, E-Systems, IEX, and ITT
Aerospace.  Currently, SIMSCRIPT II.5 is available on the
following machines:

      Apollo                  MIPS
      ATT 3B2                 PC DOS
      CRAY-2                  PC OS/2
      CRAY X-MP               PC UNIX (386, 486)
      CRAY Y-MP               Prime
      Data General AViiON     Silicon Graphics IRIS
      DECstation              SUN-3
      ELXSI                   SUN-4
      Gould UTX               SPARCstation
      HP 9000/300 & 800       SUN 386i
      IBM 370                 Tektronix 4300, 8800
      IBM RS 6000             VAXstation
      MAC II                  VAX

   Training courses are held regularly by CACI in Washington
D.C., La Jolla, and London.  In 1990 alone, 540 students
were trained in SIMSCRIPT II.5.  In addition to CACI
training, 750 university professors use SIMSCRIPT II.5 in
their teaching through a special CACI program called
SIMSTRUCTOR.

   A major recent enhancement, SIMGRAPHICS, allows SIMSCRIPT
II.5 users to design menus, presentation graphics, and
animated icons with no programming.  It is standard with all
PC and workstation implementations of SIMSCRIPT II.5.
SIMSCRIPT II.5 with SIMGRAPHICS is completely portable over
the range of machines supported.

   Compiled SIMSCRIPT II.5 executable versions of your
models may be distributed to end-users with no royalty
payments or run-time license fees.  A 160 page catalog,
Major Applications of SIMSCRIPT II.5 with SIMGRAPHICS, is
available free of charge.  Contact Doug Dittrich at CACI
Products Company by phone (619) 457-9681 or by FAX (619)
457-1184.

          Planned Enhancements for SIMSCRIPT II.5

   CACI is committed to the on-going enhancement of
SIMSCRIPT II.5.  Extensive advancements are scheduled for
release at the Annual Simulation Conference in La Jolla on
August 20-22, 1991.  A new SIMSCRIPT II.5 based simulation
system will be unveiled.  The environment consists of: an
interactive programming environment - SimLab, a symbolic
debugger - SimDebug, a simulation database with SQL
interface - SimBase, a complete input and output graphics
package - SIMGRAPHICS, and a VCR-like graphics playback
utility - SimVideo.

   For further information on the free trial of SIMSCRIPT
II.5, please contact Doug Dittrich at CACI Products Company

Newsgroups: comp.simulation
From: ralex@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Repenning Alexander)
Subject: Simulation in Common Lisp
Originator: ralex@tigger
Sender: news@csn.org
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 1991 20:36:46 GMT

I'm interested in efforts undertaken in simulation based on Common
Lisp / CLOS. Especially discrete event simulations are of concern
(e.g., Zeigler's DEVS).

I'm not looking for a commercial system; any hack or any reference
to a hack will do (a public domain hack that is).

I've posted a request like this before to comp.lang.lisp. As a result
I got a lot of email of people sharing my interest but no one could
give me helpfull hint.

Is this really possible; is there no such system? Why could that be?
Is Common Lisp inherently bad for simulation? Is CL too slow? Are
other Lisp dialects more desireable (e.g., Scheme)? Why?..

  Thanks,  Alex

------------------------------

From: "Eric S. Johnson" <esj@eng.ufl.edu>
To: fishwick@cis.ufl.edu
Subject: Network simulations
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 91 09:41:23 EST

[[MODERATOR: I obtained some information on Network Simulators that are
freely available. I am forwarding it to the Digest -PAF]]

Archive-directory: allspice.lcs.mit.edu:/pub/netsim/ [18.26.0.115]

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Thanks to all who e-mailed information concerning net simulations.
Here's what I've got:

	1) LANSF     menaik.cs.ualberta.ca [129.128.4.241]
			/pub/lansf.2.11c.tar.Z

	2) NEST      columbia.edu [128.59.16.1]
			/nest

	3) REAL      icsi-ftp.berkeley.edu [128.32.201.55]
			pub/tenet/REAL
	             ucbarpa.berkeley.edu   [128.32.130.11]
			pub/REAL/REAL.tar.Z

	4) sim       allspice.lcs.mit.edu (18.26.0.115)
			pub/netsim
Thanks to:

steve@cs.UAlberta.CA (Steve Sutphen)
mleisher@nmsu.edu    (Mark Leisher)
hrp@pecan.cray.com (Hal Peterson)
lixia@parc.xerox.com  (Lixia Zhang)
miller@jeep.dsg.honeywell.com (Michaeljon Miller)

New information is still welcome.
 Name:  Yoshiyuki "Yoshi" Tanaka            | Age: 24
 School:Sophia University, Tokyo Japan.     | Sex: Male
 Dept:  Electrical & Electronic Engineering | Workstation: Sparcstation1
 Lab:   Deiters  Laboratory.                | Project: NFS on a DAT
 Email: tana@bob.ee.sophia.ac.jp            | Hobbies:guitars,synth,ski

------------------------------

Newsgroups: comp.ai,comp.simulation,comp.misc,comp.software-eng,comp.robotics
From: lvron@earth.lerc.nasa.gov (Ronald E. Graham)
Subject: A newsgroup for engineers: sci.engr (advertisement)
News-Software: VAX/VMS VNEWS 1.3-4
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 91 20:11:25 GMT
Apparently-To: comp-simulation@uunet.uu.net

There is a newsgroup for engineers: sci.engr.  If you have been considering
a technical posting that does not belong in your newsgroup, or if a topic
under discussion is in need of cross-disciplinary expertise, it is possible
that folks in sci.engr will be interested.  Here's the group charter:

(1) To examine engineering problems in academia and industry, and the
    approaches taken in solving them;
(2) To discuss tools used by the engineer (e.g. software, mechanisms,
    algorithms, strategies, etc.);
(3) To exchange information relevant to the accomplishment of engineering
    tasks.

And here are a couple of potential side benefits:

(1) A place to establish traffic, leading, if possible, to an engineering
    hierarchy someday (sci.engr.chem has already been spawned);
(2) A clearing-house of disciplinary experience that can be applied in
    other sci groups.

Ronald E. Graham (RG)
NASA Lewis Research Center

Graham's [ahem!] Law: The relative rates of diffusion of gases under the
same conditions are inversely proportional to the square roots of the
densities of those gases.

And don't you forget it ;-)!

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Jan 91 16:15:44 -0600
From: vizzier@turing.msfc.nasa.gov (Benton A. Vizzier Jr.)
To: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu
Subject: WANTED: Information on Thermal Analysis Systems

I am currently interested in finding out what is available for thermal
analysis/simulation/modelling.  This request has two parts:

1) I am interested in thermal analysis packages that allow simulation
   of computer components (ICs and PC boards on a mother board and/or
   backplane).  We are looking for a system to model the thermal aspects
   of computers that are used to control experiments on shuttle
   flights.

2) I am interested in general thermal analysis packages for conduction,
   convection and/or radiation.  Examples of these packages are SINDA
   and TRASYS.  This request is simply due to supporting the thermal
   engineering group at Marshall Space Flight Center, AL and a desire
   to know what is available that we might not be aware of.

In both cases both public domain and proprietary packages are of
interest.

If anyone else has an interest in thermal analysis systems, I would be
happy to share the information that I collect.

  ---

Ben Vizzier, Jr.                   Boeing Computer Support Services
vizzier@turing.msfc.nasa.gov       Ardmore Station, MS EC-00
(205)544-4363                      P.O. box 5128
                                   Huntsville, AL  35814-5128

END OF SIMULATION DIGEST