[comp.simulation] SIMULATION DIGEST V19 N9

simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu (Moderator: Paul Fishwick) (02/05/91)

Volume: 19, Issue: 9, Mon Feb  4 13:23:08 EST 1991

+----------------+
| TODAY'S TOPICS |
+----------------+

(1) CALL: Workshop on Principles of Diagnosis
(2) Object Oriented Simulation
(3) WANTED: Simulation Compilers
(4) CALL: Workshop on Petri Nets
(5) Object Oriented Simulation
(6) WANTED: Material for joint ACM/TCSIM Simulation Digest
(7) Modelling Distributed Data Base Systems
(8) WANTED: Simulation Articles in IEEE Potentials Mag.
(9) Workshop on Military Standards for Defense Simulations

* Moderator: Paul Fishwick, Univ. of Florida
* Send topical mail to: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu OR
  post to comp.simulation via USENET
* Archives available via FTP to bikini.cis.ufl.edu (128.227.224.1).
  Login as 'ftp', use your last name as the password, change
  directory to pub/simdigest. Do 'type binary' before any file xfers.
* Simulation Tools available by doing above and changing the
  directory to pub/simdigest/tools.

Date: Sun, 27 Jan 91 10:21 PST
From: Ethan A. Scarl <eas@atc.boeing.com>
Subject: International Workshop on Principles of Diagnosis
Cc: ethan@atc.boeing.com

Second International Workshop on Principles of Diagnosis

Milano (Italy), October 14-15-16, 1991

Organized by CISE Tecnologie Innovative and Dipartimento di
Informatica of Universita` di Torino

Call for Papers

This workshop (which follows the successful one held at Stanford
University in 1990) encourages intensive and high quality interaction
and cooperation among researchers with a diversity of artificial
intelligence approaches to diagnosis. Attendance will be limited
to fifty participants with presentations spread over three days.
Substantial time will be reserved for discussion.

To attend, participants should submit papers (maximum 5000
words) to be reviewed by the committee. Submissions are
welcomed on (but not limited to) the following topics:

 -   Theory of diagnosis (abductive vs. deductive diagnosis,
    isolation vs. identification, diagnosis on non-monotonic
    theories, diagnosis of dynamic systems,...)
 -   Computational issues (controlling the combinatorial explosion,
    focusing strategies, controlling diagnostic reasoning of complex
    systems, ...)
 -   Modeling for diagnosis (multiple, approximate, probabilistic and
    qualitative models, integrating model-based diagnosis with
    heuristics ....)
 -   Evaluation of theories on practical applications
 -   Inductive approaches to diagnosis (Case-Based Reasoning,
    Neural Nets, ...)

Accepted papers can be revised for inclusion in the workshop
working notes. Although work published elsewhere is acceptable,
new original work is preferred.

Please send five copies of each submission to the chairman at
the postal address below. Include several ways of contacting the
principal author in addition to a postal address: electronic mail,
fax and telephone numbers are preferred, in that order. Please
indicate with your submission if you wish to make a
presentation or only to attend.

Submissions received after 3 May 1991 will not be considered.
The decisions of the committee will be mailed by 1 July 1991.

Chairman:       Luca Console
                Dipartimento di Informatica - Universit` di Torino
                Corso Svizzera 185,  10149 Torino  (Italy)
                E-mail: console@uduniv.cineca.it
                Fax: (+39) 11 751603      Tel.: (+39) 11 771 2002

Committee: I. Bratko (U. Ljubljana), P. Dague (IBM), J. de Kleer
(Xerox), G. Guida (U. Brescia), K. Eshghi (HP), W. Hamscher (Price
Waterhouse), M. Kramer (MIT), W. Nejdl (T.U. Wien), J. Pearl (UCLA),
D. Poole (U. British Columbia), O. Raiman (Xerox), J. Reggia (U.
Maryland), J. Sticklen (Michigan State U.), P. Struss (Siemens), P.
Szolovits (MIT), G. Tornielli (CISE).

Organizing Committee: M. Migliavacca (CISE, chairman), M.
Gallanti (CISE), A. Giordana (U. Torino), L. Lesmo (U. Torino).

Secretarial Support: A. Camnasio, CISE,  P.O. Box 12081, 20134
Milano, Tel (+39) 2 21672400, Fax (+39) 2 26920587.

This workshop is sponsored by AI*IA and ECCAI.
Sponsorship required to AAAI.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 27 Jan 91 21:36:24 -0500
From: gt4084c@prism.gatech.edu (SRINIVASAN,K)
To: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu
Subject: Re: SIMULATION DIGEST V19 N4
Newsgroups: comp.simulation

Is ROSE, the OO simulation tool from Rand Corp. or any other Object-Oriented discrete event simulation tool available in public domain?  I will prefer it if it is in Lisp and CLOS, but information about other tools will also be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

 --
SRINIVASAN,K
School of Textile Engineering   Georgia Tech.

------------------------------

To: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu
Subject: Simulation and compilation
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 91 18:40:16 MST
From: Sivaram <sivaram@hplssi.hpl.hp.com>

Hi,

It is only very recently (Jan 28) that I looked at comp.simulation.

However, I am working on a major simulation effort.  I am interested in
simulators for computer modelling.  I am primarily interested in those
that had a compilation approach rather than a interpretation strategy.

Would you have any info?  Source code would make me happy too.

[[EDITOR: You may wish to look in our archives - specifically SMPL
and SimPack both offer a natural compiler environment since the
C language is used in both. See the instructions at the beginning of
this digest to see how to FTP simulation software. You should also
consider Herb Schwetman's CSIM language which is available directly from
Herb: (hds@mcc.com) -PAF]]

Thanks.

Sivaram
sivaram@hplabs.hp.com

------------------------------

To: comp-simulation@munnari.oz@munnari.OZ.AU
From: jb%evunka@trl.oz.au (Jonathan Billington)
Newsgroups: melb.seminars,news.announce.conferences,comp.org.ieee,comp.parallel,comp.simulation,comp.software-eng
Subject: PNPM91: Call for Papers
Date: 24 Jan 91 03:57:57 GMT
Sender: news@trlluna.trl.OZ.AU

		Fourth International Workshop on
		Petri Nets and Performance Models
			     PNPM91

			 CALL FOR PAPERS

			Melbourne, Australia

		   Tutorial Day: 2 December 1991
		   Conference: 3-5 December 1991

		     Sponsor: Telecom Australia

Co-operation requested with

Association for Computing Machinery
IEEE Computer Society
IEEE Victorian Section
IFIP

General Chairman: Fred Symons (Monash University, Melbourne)
International Committee Chairman: Tharam Dillon (LaTrobe University, Melbourne)
Programme Co-Chairmen:  Jonathan Billington (TRL, Melbourne)
			Bill Henderson (Adelaide University)
Organising Committee Chairman: Jim Park (TRL, Melbourne)

International Committee

G. Balbo (Italy)			S. Natkin (France)
H. Beilner (Germany)			L. Ojala (Finland)
K. Jensen (Denmark)			K. Onaga (Japan)
M. Kim (Korea)				M. Silva (Spain)
W. Lu (China)				D. Simpson (UK)
J.F. Meyer (USA)			K. Trivedi (USA)

Programme Committee

M. Ajmone Marsan			M.K. Molloy
G. Chiola				M. Murata
G. Ciardo				T. Murata
J.M. Colom				S. Nishio
J. Dugan				W.H. Sanders
G. Florin				H. Takagi
P. Haas					P. Taylor
S. Haddad				M. Vernon
G. Juanole				W.M. Zuberek
J. Magott

			Scope of Workshop

The workshop provides a forum for the presentation of original
contributions in the area of Petri net based models and tools for
performance evaluation and systems design. During the Workshop,
facilities will be provided for the exhibition of computer-aided Petri
net tools. The day before the workshop, Monday 2 December 1991, a day
of tutorials will be presented. The language of the workshop is
English.

				Topics

* New developments in timed and stochastic Petri nets, including high-level
stochastic nets
* Analysis methods for timed and stochastic nets
* Advances in incorporating time into nets, while retaining the results of
General Net Theory
* Relationships with other formal systems where timed extensions are being
developed (e.g. process algebras)
* Application of nets to the design and performance evaluation of systems
including computing, communications, information, office automation and
flexible manufacturing systems
* Computer aids for the analysis of Petri net models
* Educational issues, including the role of Petri nets in teaching concurrency

			Information for Authors

Submissions
 -----------

Authors are invited to submit five copies of a full paper (in English
and no longer than 20 A4 pages) to Jonathan Billington by 1 May 1991.
The name and address of the author(s), and a short abstract are to be
included on a separate title page. Descriptions of work in progress,
particularly related to industrial applications (2 to 4 pages), and
indications of interest in exhibiting a tool (1 page description) are
also invited.

Address for Correspondence
 --------------------------

Jonathan Billington
Telecom Australia Research Laboratories
P.O. Box 249
Clayton, Vic., 3168
AUSTRALIA
Tel: +61-3-5416416
Fax: +61-3-5442362
Email: j.billington@trl.oz.au

Important Dates
 ---------------

1 May 1991: Submission Deadline
1 August 1991: Notification of acceptance/rejection
5 September 1991: Final version due

Proceedings
 -----------

Accepted papers will be published in the proceedings by the IEEE
Computer Society.

		 	   Tutorial Day

On Monday 2 December 1991 a set of tutorials will be presented. The
purpose of the tutorials will be to provide introductory information on
Petri net fundamentals and their extensions for performance
evaluation.  The tutorials will be presented by leading international
experts. The tutorials will provide an ideal opportunity for students,
academics and industry personnel interested in learning the basics of
new techniques that will be of increasing importance in the design of
concurrent, distributed or real time systems.

			Tools Exhibition

It is intended to provide facilities for the demonstration of computer
aided tools for the creation, manipulation and analysis of Petri net
based models. Please send details of computing requirements to Jonathan
Billington. (See REPLY FORM below)

			    REPLY FORM

		    PNPM91, Melbourne Australia

Please complete and return by email, fax or post to:

Jonathan Billington
Telecom Australia Research Laboratories
P.O. Box 249
Clayton, Vic., 3168
AUSTRALIA
Tel: +61-3-5416416
Fax: +61-3-5442362
Email: j.billington@trl.oz.au

Name:				Title:
Address:

				Postcode:
Telephone:
Fax:
Email:

__ I intend to attend PNPM91
__ I wish to attend the Tutorial Day
__ I shall submit a paper
Title:

Co-authors:

__ I intend to exhibit a tool
Name of Tool:
Machine:
Operating System:
Memory required:

__ Please send me the next circular

 -----------------------END OF CALL--------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Jan 91 16:04:04 -0500
From: watro@linus.mitre.org
To: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu
Cc: watro@linus.mitre.org, jil@linus.mitre.org, ehb@linus.mitre.org,
        vtg@mitre.org
Subject: query on object-oriented simulation

I'm in a group trying to do a comparison of object-oriented simulation
tools. So far we have looked at Sim++, ModsimII, SESWorkbench,
Smalltalk and a home-built tool based on C++.  Does anyone have
suggestions for other tools to look at?  We are interested in judging
the performance of the tools.  Are there any suggestions for
benchmarks for object-oriented simulation tools?  Finally, there is
the question of which features are the most important.  This leads to
endless discussion.  We have some preference for multiple inheritance
(which leaves out Smalltalk) and dynamic creation of simulation
objects (which leaves out Sim++).  SESWorkbench provides a very
general approach to "transactions" (sequences of events) but is not as
object-oriented as the others.  Modsim II is an interesting mix of
features and frustrations.

Any general comments or references would be appreciated.  We hope to
post a summary of our work in the near future.  Usual disclaimers apply.

 --Ron Watro

Dr. Ronald J. Watro   The MITRE Corporation, MS A129, Burlington RD,
                      Bedford, MA 01730  USA      617-271-7648
InterNet:   watro@mitre.org

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Jan 91 17:31:34 -0600
From: dana@ponder.csci.unt.edu (Dana Wyatt)
To: simulation@ufl.edu
Subject: The next Simulation Digest

[[EDITOR: Please note that the "Simulation Digest" to which Dana
refers is the published hard copy Digest co-published by both
the IEEE-CS TCSIM and ACM SIGSIM. -PAF]]

As we prepare to go to press with the next issue of Simulation Digest,
I would like to make a last minute solicitation for material.  We accept
letters, short technical notes, contributed papers, cartoons :), and
anything else appropriate.

If you wish to discuss a potential contribution, please contact me at:

	Dana Wyatt
	University of North Texas
	Computer Science Department
	Denton, Texas  76203
	817/ 565-2767 (office)
	817/ 565-2820 (my office)
	817/ 232-8726 (home)
	dana@dept.csci.unt.edu (e-mail)

Deadline for receipt of materials is Friday, February 8.  I realize
that this is probably too short of notice for contributed papers,  but
"what the heck", thought I'd solicit your input!

Dana Wyatt
ACM Editor, Simulation Digest

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 1 Feb 91 13:43:08 EST
From: samuels@starbase.MITRE.ORG (Mike Samuels)
To: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu
Subject: DBMS modeling

Hello, out there!  Does anyone have good references on problems (and
solutions!) for modeling centralized and/or distributed database
management systems?  I have an old article by McBride, Tonik, and
Finnin ("System considerations for predicting mass storage subsystem
behavior"), but everything else I've seen is very specific to a
particular application.

Also, are there any tools tailored for the analysis of distributed
DBMSs? I guess what I'm looking for is something like NETWORK II.5
or (preferably) OPNET, only tailored to DBMS problems rather than protocols.

I will post responses to comp.simulation if there's interest.  Thanks.

Michael Samuels                         The MITRE Corporation
samuels@mitre.org                       Mailstop W448
(703) 883-7828                          7525 Colshire Drive
FAX: (703) 883-6435                     McLean, VA 22102

------------------------------

Date:         Fri, 01 Feb 91 14:49:30 CST
From: "George Zobrist, Professor" <C2816@UMRVMB.UMR.EDU>
Subject:      solicitation for manuscripts-ieee potentials magazine
To: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu

      SOLICITATION OF MANUSCRIPTS FOR IEEE POTENTIALS MAGAZINE

THE IEEE POTENTIALS MAGAZINE (A QUARTERLY) IS SOLICITING MANUSCRIPTS FOR
A PLANNED SPECIAL ISSUE ON ASPECTS OF SIMULATION.

THE IEEE POTENTIALS MAGAZINE GOES TO ALL STUDENT MEMBERS OF THE IEEE
(US AND CANADA), PRESENTLY ABOUT 50, 000.

THE LEVEL OF THE ARTICLE IS ADDRESSED TO THE UNDERGRADUATE STUDENT AND HAS
SEVERAL OBJECTIVES : INTERESTING THE STUDENT IN A TOPIC FOR FURTHER STUDY,
EXPLAINING TECHNOLOGICAL ADVANCES IN AN AREA, A FORUM FOR TECHNICAL IDEAS,
ARTICLES OF INTEREST TECHNICALLY.

IT SHOULD BE STRESSED THAT THE ARTICLE SHOULD NOT TRY TO MYSTIFY THE STUDENT
BUT TO ENABLE THE STUDENT TO LEARN MORE ABOUT TECHNICAL MATERIAL THAT HE/SHE
MAY/MAY NOT BECOME ACQUAINTED WITH IN THEIR FORMAL COURSE WORK.

SIMULATION TOPICS MIGHT BE: VARIOUS SPEED UP ALGORITHMS FOR DISTRIBUTED
PROCESSING, DISCRETE EVENT SIMULATION PROCESS, DISTRIBUTED SIMULATION,
APPLICATIONS, NEED FOR SIMULATION, ETC

LENGTH OF ARTICLE CAN BE NO MORE THAN 10 MANUSCRIPT PAGES (8 1/2 11) REDUCED
BY NUMBER OF FIGURES- SHORTER PAPERS ALSO ACCEPTABLE

THE MANUSCRIPTS ARE REVIEWED BY: STUDENTS, FACULTY, RESEARCHERS IN AREA AND
THEN A DECISION IS MADE AS TO WHETHER TO PUBLISH OR NOT.

IF INTERESTED, CONTACT:

DR. GEORGE W. ZOBRIST
ASSOCIATE EDITOR, IEEE POTENTIALS MAGAZINE
DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE
UNIVERSITY OF MISSOURI-ROLLA
ROLLA, MO 65401
PHONE: 314-341-4836
EMAIL: C2816@UMRVMB.UMR.EDU (INTERNET) OR C2816@UMRVMB.BITNET

DEADLINE FOR RECEIPT OF MANUSCRIPT SUMMER OF 1991

------------------------------

Date:         Mon, 04 Feb 91 09:18:15 EDT
From: BRUCE MCDONALD <MCDONALD@ucf1vm.cc.ucf.edu>
Subject:      CBD Announcement - Workshop
To: Paul Fishwick <fishwick@cis.ufl.edu>,
        Col Jim Shiflett <SHIFLETT@VAX.DARPA.MIL>

CBD Announcement

Project Manager Training Devices, Orlando, FL 32826

A--WORKSHOPS FOR THE DEVELOPMENT OF MILITARY STANDARDS FOR DEFENSE
SIMULATIONS.  A NETWORKING WORKSHOP will be held in Orlando, FL on
13-15 March 1991.  This is the fourth workshop for the continued
development of a Draft Military Standard entitled Protocol Data
Units for Distributed Interactive Simulation (DIS).  The standard
describes the form and types of messages to be exchanged between
entities in a real-time distributed interactive simulation.  The
University of Central Florida Institute for Simulation and Training
(IST) began the work in August 1989 as the agent for the Department
of the Army Project Manager for Training Devices.  Using SIMNET as
a baseline and considering recommendations made in meetings and in
over seventy position papers, IST has developed this first draft
document.  It represents the work of over 300 scientists,
engineers, and technicians from industry, academia and government.
An electronic copy of these documents has been placed on the IST
bulletin board system.  Please call (407) 658-5077 to access these
documents.  If you need assistance with bulletin board procedures,
call Mr. Bob Glasgow (407) 658-5510.  To register for the workshop
or to purchase printed copies of the draft standard, rationale
document, and minutes from the first three  workshops, please
contact Mr. Vince Amico, UCF College of Extended Studies, 12424
Research Parkway, Suite 200, Orlando, FL 32816-0177, (407)249-6102,
FAX (407)249-6113.  The workshop will be held at the Orlando
Marriott International Drive in Orlando, FL.  Room reservations
should be made directly with the hotel.  Call (407)351-2420 and
specify the IST/DARPA/PMTRADE meeting.  This will be the last
workshop before IST submits the final version of the Draft Military
Standard.  Based on comments at the workshop, we plan to modify the
draft and then publish version 1.0 in June 1991.  Eventually, this
Military Standard will become a DoD Standard.  Consequently, this
workshop is very important to defense industries involved with
simulation technologies and government agencies preparing
requirements for acquisitions such as the Close Combat Tactics
Trainer, Aviation Combined Arms Tactical Trainer and Advanced
Distributed Simulation Technology.  The workshop will allow time
for individuals to present their recommendations regarding the
standard.  Topics of particular interest are recommended changes to
the Draft Standard, as well as recommended Performance Measures,
Communications Architecture, Communications Services, Simulation
Management, COMM/SIGINT/EW, and correlations between Terrain, Ocean
and Atmosphere models.  These presentations will be allocated 15
minutes for remarks and five minutes for questions.  Individuals
wishing to speak must submit position papers to Dr. Bruce McDonald
(407)658-5046 on the proposed topics no later than 1 March 1991.
The Interoperability Standard Steering Committee will select
speakers based on criticality of the issues addressed.

END OF SIMULATION DIGEST