[comp.simulation] SIMULATION DIGEST V19 N10

simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu (Moderator: Paul Fishwick) (02/07/91)

Volume: 19, Issue: 10, Wed Feb  6 20:31:52 EST 1991

+----------------+
| TODAY'S TOPICS |
+----------------+

(1) Using Simulation in Understanding our Environment
(2) SimCity and SimEarth
(3) SPICE Interest Groups
(4) WANTED: EPR Simulation Program
(5) CALL: Conference on Computer-Aided Design
(6) 1991 SCS Simulation Multiconference
(7) CALL: ICSE Workshop on Software/Hardware CoDesign
(8) Simulation Games

* Moderator: Paul Fishwick, Univ. of Florida
* Send topical mail to: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu OR
  post to comp.simulation via USENET
* Archives available via FTP to bikini.cis.ufl.edu (128.227.224.1).
  Login as 'ftp', use your last name as the password, change
  directory to pub/simdigest. Do 'type binary' before any file xfers.
* Simulation Tools available by doing above and changing the
  directory to pub/simdigest/tools.

Date:    Mon, 4 Feb 91 17:22:05 GMT
From: mcleod@M5.Sdsc.Edu
Subject: call
To: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu

To all CONCERNED
                 about our ENVIRONMENT

CALL for Comment, Informal Note, or Technical Article for possible publication

As one who is greatly concerned about our environment, I am trying to do
something about the problems we face.  The "something" stems from my belief
that to solve a problem it helps to understand the system in which the
problem is embedded.  And experience shows that to model -- even an attempt
to model -- a system is an excellent way to gain UNDERSTANDING.

Therefore I have initiated, and am pursuing, a series of conference tracks
(groups of sessions) under the rubric UNDERSTANDING OUR ENVIRONMENT.  I am
writing this in the afterglow of our successful presentations at the recent
Western MultiConference at the Disneyland Hotel in Anaheim, California -- our
first full-day track consisted of three sessions related to modeling various
aspects of our environment.  Our next conference will be in New Orleans,
April 1-5, and the next in Baltimore, July 22-24.

In support of this activity the Society for Computer Simulation invites
anyone modeling ANY ASPECT of our environment to send us an abstract telling
briefly about what they are doing, even if only "Work In Progress."  Suitable
abstracts will be published in the informal "Simulation in the Service of
Society" section of our refereed technical journal SIMULATION.  Selected
authors will be invited to prepare and present formal papers at future
conferences such as those described in the enclosures.  These papers will be
published in the Conference Proceedings.  Papers by authors unable to attend
a conference will be considered for publication in SIMULATION.  Consideration
is being given to gathering outstanding papers for publication in a hard-
cover book to be titled "Understanding Our Environment."

Non-modelers concerned with problems related to our deteriorating environment
are invited to attend one of our conferences to learn what simulationists
are doing about it.

Please let me hear from you on this subject, even if only by way of a one-
line blurb unsuitable for publication!

John McLeod, P.E.
Founder, Society for Computer Simulation, International
8484 La Jolla Shores Drive
La Jolla, CA 92037
Phone: (619) 454-0966
E-mail: mcleod@sdsc.bitnet
FAX: (619) 277-3130

------------------------------

Newsgroups: comp.simulation
From: drdave@buhub.bradley.edu (David L. Vessell)
Subject: SimEarth
Sender: news@bradley.bradley.edu
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 91 21:44:28 GMT
Apparently-To: comp-simulation@uunet.uu.net

This is probably a lighter topic than usual for this notesgroup, but I
thought maybe someone here would know.

Being a fan and student of Maxis's SimCity--The City Simulator, I took
interest in the rumour that Maxis is producing a program called SimEarth,
which I assume is similar in pretense but on a, well, 'global' scale.  If
anyone has heard about this or knows any specifics, post or write.

Also, for those of you who do the 'industrial strength' computer
simulating, what's your opinion of SimCity and other "Simulation Lite"
software packages?

**dR.Dave**            ....making the world safe for intelligent dance music.
  David L. Vessell   Bradley Univ.  Peoria, IL   drdave@buhub.bradley.edu
"I'm not a theatre major.  I'm not even a theatre minor.  I just have this
 obsession with power tools...."  --Kory Komala

------------------------------

Newsgroups: comp.simulation
From: akbar@frith.egr.msu.edu (Muhammad Akbar)
Subject: SPICE/PSPICE news group
Sender: Muhammad.Akbar@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 91 20:44:34 GMT
Apparently-To: uunet!comp-simulation

I am working on my thesis. My work involves analog and digital circuit
simulations using spice/pspice on sun workstations. I would like to know
if there is any interest group on SPICE/PSPICE. If anybody has any
information kindly send me email.

Thanks in advance.

Muhammad Akbar  (akbar@frith.egr.msu.edu)

------------------------------

Newsgroups: comp.simulation
From: boz@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (John Boswell)
Subject: EPR simulation
Sender: news@dartvax.dartmouth.edu (The News Manager)
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 1991 06:10:15 GMT
Apparently-To: comp-simulation@eddie.mit.edu

Hi.
	I am hoping that someone reading this group can help me.  I'm looking
for the source code (in Pascal, preferably) to any EPR simulation programs.
My ultimate goal is to be able to fit a simulated powder spectrum to an
experimental spectrum (iteratively).  I have one program already, but
it is rather a "black box", as it is not commented, and I'm not quite
able to follow it (with descriptive variables like "x" and "y", or
whatever).
	I know of the Fortran programs from the QCPE, but I don't speak
Fortran...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

John Boswell
Department of Chemistry
Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH		boz@eleazar.dartmouth.edu

------------------------------

Newsgroups: comp.simulation
From: fuchs@crhc.uiuc.edu (W. Kent Fuchs)
Subject: Call for Papers  ICCAD-91
Sender: news@roundup.crhc.uiuc.edu
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 1991 19:36:48 GMT
Apparently-To: comp-simulation@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu

                               CALL FOR PAPERS

           IEEE INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON COMPUTER-AIDED DESIGN

                                  ICCAD-91

                    Submission Due Date:  April 12, 1991

     The 1991 INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON COMPUTER-AIDED DESIGN will  be
     held  November  10-14, 1991, in Santa Clara, CA.. ICCAD is oriented
     towards Electrical Engineering CAD professionals, concentrating  on
     CAD for Electronic Circuit Design.

     AREAS OF INTEREST

     Original technical papers on (but not  limited  to)  the  following
     topics are invited:
     1) HIGH LEVEL SIMULATION
     2) SIMULATION
     3) HIGH LEVEL SYNTHESIS
     4) LOGIC SYNTHESIS
     5) LAYOUT VERIFICATION/ANALOG CIRCUIT DESIGN
     6) PLACEMENT AND FLOORPLANNING
     7) ROUTING
     8) TESTING
     9) CAD FRAMEWORKS

     AUTHOR INFORMATION

     Authors should submit:
     1) 12 copies of a one-paragraph abstract, and
     2) 12 copies of the completed paper not to exceed 18  double-spaced
     pages, figures and tables included.

     Excessively long submissions and previously published  papers  will
     be returned to the authors.

     NOTE: Papers will be  reviewed  anonymously.   Therefore  ONLY  the
     cover page should identify authors and their affiliations!

     FORMAT

     The ONE-PARAGRAPH ABSTRACT, typed  on  one  separate  page,  should
     clearly  and precisely state what is new and point out the signifi-
     cant results.  The paper should be as  close  as  possible  to  the
     paper  as  you  would expect to see it appear if published.  In the
     detailed description, the author must objectively address  why  the
     proposed  contribution is superior to prior work or what the signi-
     ficance of the contribution is, if breaking new ground.  Demonstra-
     tion of superiority in algorithms and strategies with heuristics is
     required through a description of  the  programming  implementation
     and application to "real" problems.  Additional mathematical proofs
     are welcome.  The contribution should address an  area  of  current
     technical interest to the CAD professional.  A clear description of
     the new contribution, status of the work and  significant  examples
     and appropriate results should be given.

     COVER PAGE REQUIREMENTS

     Submissions should include, on the cover page:  the  title  of  the
     paper;  the  category  1-9,  which most clearly matches the paper's
     content (see Areas of Interest); the  full  name,  complete  return
     address, telephone number and affiliation of each author; and clear
     identification of the individual to whom all  communication  should
     be  addressed.  In giving your return address, please consider that
     the communications for paper acceptance and mailing of the author's
     kit occur in the month of July.

     AUTHOR'S SCHEDULE

     Deadline for submissions:    Postmarked April 12, 1991
     Notification of acceptance:  June 28, 1991
     Deadline for final version:  August 9, 1991

     SEND TO:  ICCAD-91 Secretary
               MP Associates, Inc.
               7490 Clubhouse Rd., Suite 102
               Boulder, CO 80301
               Telephone: (303) 530-4562

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 5 Feb 91 23:52:00 GMT
From: mcleod@M5.Sdsc.Edu
Subject: Conference Announcement
To: fishwick@fish.cis.ufl.edu

                          ANNOUNCEMENT

                    Simulators International
               1991 SCS Simulation Multiconference

Who should attend:

     Vice Presidents
     Plant Managers
     Simulator Support Group Staff Members

The 1991 SCS Simulation Multiconference to be held April 1-5,
1991, at the Fairmont Hotel in New Orleans, Louisiana will
include special emphasis on Nuclear Reference Plant Simulator
Certification.  A track running throughout the week will cover
all aspects of simulator hardware, software, testing,
configuration control, certification, maintenance, and
management.

Special guest speakers will include Commissioner Kenneth C.
Rogers of the United State Nuclear Regulator Commission and
Thomas E. Tipton, Director of Operations, Management and Support
Services Division, NUMARC.  These presentations to nuclear
utility vice presidents and plant managers should emphasize the
importance placed on certified simulators as part of the Licensed
Training Programs at Nuclear Power Plants.

A simulator certification awards presentation, included in the
Utility Simulator Users Group and sponsored by The Society for
Computer Simulation, will honor those utilities that have put
forth the effort to achieve certification of their simulators.
Members of the simulator support groups and executives from the
participating utilities should plan to attend and receive
recognition.  The Utility Simulator Users Group has provided
direct assistance through the volunteer efforts of group members
on Assist Team.

For additional information, contact the Society for Computer
Simulation.  BITNET: McLeod@SDSC  or call (619) 277-3888.
Society for Computer Simulation, P.O. Box 17900, San Diego, CA
92117-7900.

------------------------------

Posted-Date: Wed, 6 Feb 91 10:05:24 CST
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 91 10:05:24 CST
From: franke%cadillac.cad.mcc.com@mcc.com (David Franke)
To: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu
Subject: CFP - ICSE Workshop on Hardware/Software CoDesign

			  * CALL FOR PARTICIPATION *

		  ICSE Workshop on Software/Hardware CoDesign

Austin, TX, USA         Date: May 13th, 1991                 Sponsored by ICSE

Systems comprising a mixture of hardware and software components are difficult
to develop because hardware and software practitioners employ distinct
methodologies. Codesign involves bringing together these methodologies, not
only at the design stage but throughout the development and product life-cycle.
This workshop is a forum for defining and exploring issues in software/hardware
codesign.

The workshop seeks papers or extended abstracts describing 1) current research
into codesign issues and 2) case studies of designs involving software and
hardware.  We encourage papers/abstracts which contribute to the understanding
of codesign issues such as the following:

* Representation paradigms and languages that allow expression of software and
   hardware designs; their power and limitations; their requirements upon
   associated analysis and/or simulation techniques
* Simulation methods for combined software/hardware designs
* Metrics and evaluation techniques for combined software/hardware designs
   (for example, reliability, performance, size (code, hardware))
* Estimation techniques for combined software/hardware system metrics
* Data models for combined software/hardware designs
* Integration of software design techniques/methods and hardware
   design techniques/methods
* The role of codesign in concurrent engineering

To facilitate discussion, acceptance will be limited to 30 papers and 10 or
fewer presentations.  Individuals who wish to request an invitation to the
workshop without submitting a paper should send a letter to the workshop chair,
describing background and interests, by the paper submission deadline.
There will be a proceedings of all accepted submissions.  Single paragraph
abstracts of each attendee's paper or work in codesign will be distributed
prior to the workshop.  If sufficient interest is expressed by participants,
there may be an evening session for "system" demonstrations on video or slides.

The workshop's organizing committee consists of: David Franke, MCC; Martin
Purvis, MCC; others to be determined

The submission format will be short, self-contained papers of no more than
2000 words (the proceedings version of accepted papers may be longer).
Extensions and condensations of work already submitted elsewhere is
permissible, so long as duplications are noted.  Submissions should include
postal addresses, email addresses, and phone numbers for all authors, plus a
stamped self-addressed card if such acknowledgement is desired.  Three copies
of submitted papers should be sent to either of the following:

David Franke                      Martin Purvis
MCC                               MCC
3500 W. Balcones Center Dr.       3500 W. Balcones Center Dr.
Austin, TX  78759-6509            Austin, TX  78759-6509

(512) 338-3641                    (512) 338-33605
franke@mcc.com                    purvis@mcc.com

Important dates:  Feb. 22    Papers must be received
                  Apr. 9     Notification of acceptance mailed
                  Apr. 17    Abstracts due for early distribution
                  Apr. 24    Revised papers must be received
                  May  13    Workshop

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 6 Feb 91 16:01 GMT
From: Jocelyn Paine <POPX@vax.oxford.ac.uk>
To: COMP-SIMULATION <@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk:COMP-SIMULATION@UCBVAX.BERKELEY.edu>
Subject: Games for programmed players

Newsgroups: comp.simulation
The AI magazine published, in Autumn 1983, an article called "Knowledge
Programming in Loops", by Mark Stefik, Daniel Bobrow, Sanjay Mittal and
Lynn Conway. This described an experimental course at Xerox Parc about
building expert systems in Loops.

The course was centered round a game called "Truckin'" in which the
players drove lorries round a board populated with shops. To win, you
had to get to the end of the board, having bought and sold from the
shops in such a way as to make more profit then any other player. Or to
be exact: your _player_ had to do this. _Your_ job was to program your
player, using expert system techniques, so as to make it win.

Things were made more interesting by features designed to cause goal
conflicts. For example, if your lorry drove quickly over a bumpy road,
it might damage its load; but if the load was perishable, it would go
off if not delivered quickly. There were highwaymen, robbing from
lorries that passed too slowly; and weighing stations, fining lorries
which went too fast or were too heavy.

Ineptly programmed lorries would reveal themselves in various ways:

    "A player may be racing to Alice's Restaurant [the final stop]. One
    move before the game ends it is unable to resist a business
    'opportunity' and doesn't make it to Alice's.

    A player may go to the closest place to sell goods, even if that's
    the City Dump, which unfortunately pays a 'negative price'.

    A player may become focussed on a tight producer/consumer loop,
    making money faster than any other player on the board. If it is
    programmed to only buy fuel from stations along its route, but there
    is no petrol station in the tight loop, the team will watch
    anxiously as the fuel gauge drops lower and lower.

    A player may try to park next to Alice's Restaurant near the end of
    the game, even if it happens to be the Union hall, which confiscates
    all goods and cash."

All this comes from the original paper, and I've described it in case
anyone wants to take up the idea for teaching.

I would like to ask whether anyone else has designed such games, or if
anyone knows references to them. I'll summarise replies to the net.
Somebody mentioned a game called "Robot Wars" (_not_ Core Wars, which is
the one in which machine code programs fight it out) but I've been
unable to trace it.

I'd also like to ask for the E-mail address of the authors, so that I
can ask for more details about the rules of Truckin'.

                                    Jocelyn Paine ( POPX @ UK.AC.OX.VAX )

END OF SIMULATION DIGEST