[comp.simulation] SIMULATION DIGEST V20 N3

simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu (Moderator: Paul Fishwick) (02/18/91)

Volume: 20, Issue: 3, Sun Feb 17 23:50:13 EST 1991

+----------------+
| TODAY'S TOPICS |
+----------------+

(1) Simulation for Instruction
(2) Shop Floor Scheduling and Simulation
(3) WANTED: Discrete Event Models for Large Systems
(4) CALL: International Modelling and Simulation Conference
(5) Continuous Simulation Languages
(6) Simulation in C & C++
(7) Mathematical Models of Wind Instruments

* Moderator: Paul Fishwick, Univ. of Florida
* Send topical mail to: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu OR
  post to comp.simulation via USENET
* Archives available via FTP to bikini.cis.ufl.edu (128.227.224.1).
  Login as 'ftp', use your last name as the password, change
  directory to pub/simdigest. Do 'type binary' before any file xfers.
* Simulation Tools available by doing above and changing the
  directory to pub/simdigest/tools.

Date: Tue, 12 Feb 91 21:43 CST
From: JHDCI@canal.crc.uno.edu
Subject: Intro and Help
To: SIMULATION@ufl.edu

I am a doctoral student in education at the University of New Orleans and
am planning on writing my dissertation on some form of simulation as it
applies to education...e.g., class room simulation, curriculum sim., trend
sim., etc. ad nauseum.  I have been avidly reading everything I can get my
hands on concerning neural nets, complexity, genetic algorithms, cellular
automata, emergence, and anything else that appears nonlinear.  There
appears to be more than enough literature.  I have been especially impressed
with "Genetic Algorithms..." by David Goldberg although I am having a little
trouble in reading the PASCAL code (I, unfortunately write in QuickBasic).
Chris Langton's writings have also influenced my thinking and given me a
mad desire to create an "Artificial School."

My desires are for a reasonably simple computer simulation program (public
domain if possible) that can be run on a PC.  I would also like to do more
reading on GA's and artificial life.  I have already copied the digests from
ALife, Neuron, and Simulator and am plowing through them as fast as possible.
It would also be nice to see some more genetic algorithm code (even in PASCAL,
I can read it at about the same speed I read Urdu).

Any info that any of you could send me, FTP addresses, product names, people
to contact would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all for your help.

Jack DeGolyer [JHDCI@UNO.EDU]
University of New Orleans

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Feb 91 15:28:14 +0100
From: tuvie!zdfzs!arcs3@relay.EU.net
To: ETUVIE!"fishwick@fish.cis.ufl.edu"@relay.EU.net
Subject: contact call

Hallo !
I hope, I've reached a proper address. If yes, Maybe could you give me
a favour. My name is Janusz Niwinski and I'm working in Austrian
Research Center Seibersdorf. I'm concerned with discrete simulation,
specially with area of scheduling activities at the job shop floor.
Currently I'm working on a decision supporting tool for dynamic
scheduling in a flexible manufacturing facilities. I'm looking for contacts
with other persons who are concern with similar problems. If it doesn't
bother you, could you send me an information, how could I reach the mail
administrator to place my address in a simulation mail or if there are any
similar interest groups which I may contact.

I thank you in advance and if I could be helpful for you in any way,
please ask.

My address and phone number:

Mr. Janusz Niwinski
Dept. of Industrial Engineering
Austrian Research Center Seibersdorf
A-2444 Seibersdorf
Austria - Europe

phone (02254) 80 2214
Fax   (02254) 80 2118
E_mail arcs3@tuvie.at

                                     Sincerely yours

                                       j. Niwinski

------------------------------

From: Neil Youngman <nyo@cs.exeter.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 91 18:02:47 GMT
To: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu
Subject: Discrete Event Simulation

I would like to hear from anyone who is doing large discrete event
simulations or considering a simulation problem, which is too large
to run on a conventional system.

I am working on a project evaluating Parallel Discrete Event
Simulation methods.  We need a range of large examples to allow us to
compare the efficiency of different approaches and their applicability
to different problems.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Feb 91 14:19:52 -0600
From: ek@cacs.usl.edu (Enrique Vicente Kortright)
To: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu
Subject: CALL FOR PAPERS

                            CALL FOR PAPERS
         1991 International Modelling and Simulation Conference
        Association for Modelling and Simulation in Enterprises
                      New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
                          October 28-30, 1991

SCOPE
The 1991 International Modelling and Simulation Conference serves as a forum
for the interchange of ideas, tools, techniques, and applications in the field
of computer modelling and simulation.  The theme of this year's conference is
"Simulation Languages and Tools," but papers are invited from all areas of
modelling and simulation.  The conference will include paper sessions,
tutorials, and invited speaker presentations.  The typical audience of this
conference is formed by practitioners and theorists of modelling and simulation
from all over the world in both industry and academia.

Sample topics include:

GENERAL METHODOLOGY
 - Simulation languages, environments, tools, and methods
 - Expert systems and  artificial intelligence in simulation
 - Object-oriented simulation
 - Neural network simulation
 - Distributed and parallel simulation
 - Integration tools
 - Computer-assisted modelling
 - Systems analysis and design, identification, control
 - Mathematical modelling, mathematical tools, numerical analysis

EXAMPLES AND APPLICATIONS
 - General  physics, matter & waves, optics, acoustics
 - Electronics, components, devices, circuits, instrumentation,
  communication systems
 - Electrical engineering, phenomena, power circuits & networks, electrical
  machines
 - General solid & fluid mechanics, civil engineering
 - Mechanical systems, machines, engines, robotics
 - Thermics & energy, sources, machines, plants
 - Chemistry & chemical engineering, materials, metallurgy
 - Production systems, manufacturing, management, trade, economics
 - Environment, geology, hydrology, atmosphere & space, animal & vegetal
  resources, ecology
 - Life sciences, biomedical problems, human & social sciences, education
 - Socio-economic problems, city & land planning, transportation, distribution,
  traffic

Original, unpublished papers and topic ideas for tutorials may be submitted.
Send two copies of an Extended Summary limited to five double-spaced pages.
The official language of the conference is English.

Submissions from USA and Canada      Other submissions
  are to be sent to                    are to be sent to

Enrique V. Kortright	             Prof. G. Mesnard
Department of Computer Science	     AMSE, 16 Av. Grange Blanche
Nicholls State University	     69160 Tassin-la-Demi-Lune,
Thibodaux, LA 70310, USA	     FRANCE
(504) 448-4406                       Phone: 78343604
Fax: (504) 448-4927                  Fax: 78345417
email: ek@swamp.cacs.usl.edu

Accepted papers will be published in the conference proceedings.  At least one
author is expected to attend the conference and to register early.  After the
conference some papers will be selected for publication in an AMSE journal.

DEADLINES:
Proposals and abstracts: April 30, 1991
Acceptance: May 30, 1991
Full paper: September 15, 1991 (sent directly to AMSE in France)

Conference Committee. AMSE President: G. Mesnard. Program Chair: E. Kortright.
Program Committee: L. Levy (Nicholls State), M. Saacks (Xavier University),
S. Harnett (Southwestern Louisiana).

Sponsored by the International Association for Modelling and Simulation in
Enterprises. For information on other AMSE conferences in 1991 contact Prof.
Mesnard.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Feb 91 05:01:40 +0200
From: Andrei Heilper <heilper%techunix.bitnet@nervm.nerdc.ufl.edu>
Comments:  Domain style address is "heilper@techunix.technion.ac.il"
To: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu
Subject: Re: SIMULATION DIGEST V20 N1
Newsgroups: comp.simulation

I am interested in simultion languages for continuous systems.
Most of the systems, startng with ACSL are very expensive. But
I found at least 2 or 3 exceptions. I would like to know if
somebody cna locate these programs.
 a) The first one is called DSL. The sources appeared in a book
called Digital Simulation, by Shah. I wonder if somebody has these
sources in an electronic from
 b) Incidentally I came accross a circuit simulation language called
called SCEPTRE, which has also dynamical system capabilities. The
language was popular in the 70's and the book mentioned the fact
that it was freely available.
c)The last one is called SIL. I have no information, except the fact
it is a CSMP similar language and it is interpreted.

        Best regards,
                Andrei Heilper

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Feb 91 16:21:56 -0700
From: malyanka@enuxha.eas.asu.edu (Raphael Malyankar)
To: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu
Subject: Simulation in C or C++

Does anyone know of a C or C++ language simulation package? We have an
event based simulation package written in SIMSCRIPT and are considering
rewriting it in C or C++. The most important elements in the package would
be random number generators like SIMSCRIPT has (i.e., multiple random
streams and different types of distributions). Something that does event
scheduling would also be nice, though I suppose this would not be too difficult
to program.  SIMSCRIPT is nice as far as it goes, but our system is now
doing more than just simulation - it includes planning and distributed AI,
amongst other things, and we are finding it difficult to put in the stuff
we need to add. We also need to speed it up, but personally I have doubts
whether a C coded simulation will run much faster than compiled SIMSCRIPT.
Comments, anyone?

We have VAXstations running VMS, but porting could probably be arranged.
Comercial/non-commercial packages are both OK.

Thanks in advance,

Raphael Malyankar                malyanka@enuxha.eas.asu.edu

Department of Computer Science
Arizona State University.
Tempe AZ 85287.
602-965-2735

------------------------------

From: nobody@wimsey.bc.ca (Nobody)
To: comp-simulation@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: comp.music,comp.simulation,sci.math,sci.physics,comp.theory.dynamic-sys
Subject: Real models for a wind instrument
Date: 17 Feb 91 19:30:32 GMT
Apparently-To: van-bc!rnews

I am interested in mathematical models for the generation of sound by a
wind instrument, in particular, the flute.  I would appreciate it if anyone
could provide me with information, particularily references, for research
in this area.

Please note:

I am not interested in dissertations of "the fundamental physics
of music". I am not a physicist, but I do understand the theory of vibrating
strings.

I am really interested in models of fluid flow and non-linear vibration in
cylinder shapes (such as the flute).

Gary Kenward

SNAP
There is no need for a disclaimer, as the company doesn't care what I say: they
know what an imbecile I am.
 --

Gary W. Kenward
Mobile Data International Inc.