[comp.simulation] SIMULATION DIGEST V20 N5

simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu (Moderator: Paul Fishwick) (02/24/91)

Volume: 20, Issue: 5, Sat Feb 23 21:38:54 EST 1991

+----------------+
| TODAY'S TOPICS |
+----------------+

(1) CALL: Int. Conference on Computers and Learning
(2) RE: Distributed Memory MultiProcessor Simulator
(3) Visual Orientation Multiplexing Simulation
(4) RE: F-18 Flight Simulator Availability
(5) CALL: Neural Information Processing Systems
(6) CALL: Simulation in Education
(7) AISB: Technical Program

* Moderator: Paul Fishwick, Univ. of Florida
* Send topical mail to: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu OR
  post to comp.simulation via USENET
* Archives available via FTP to bikini.cis.ufl.edu (128.227.224.1).
  Login as 'ftp', use your last name as the password, change
  directory to pub/simdigest. Do 'type binary' before any file xfers.
* Simulation Tools available by doing above and changing the
  directory to pub/simdigest/tools.

Newsgroups: comp.edu,comp.ai,comp.simulation
From: 852028e@aucs.acadiau.ca (Amari  M.  Elammari)
To: <watmath!comp-simulation@cs.dal.ca>
Subject: 4-th International Conference on Computers and Learning
Date: 	Thu, 21 Feb 1991 20:21:56 -0400
Apparently-To: watmath!comp-simulation@cs.dal.ca

	4-th International Conference on Computers and Learning
                 ICCAL'92 - June 17-20, 1992

  ICCAL  is dedicated to the presentation of new results  in  the
theory  and practice of computers and learning. Areas  considered
for   ICCAL'92  include theoretical as well as  practical  topics
such as Authoring Systems, AI Applications, Computers in Distance
Education,  Computer-Supported  Cooperative  Learning,  Discourse
Management,  Evaluation of Learning Environments,  Human-Computer
Interaction/Interface,   Human   Problem   Solving,   Hypermedia,
Innovative  Educational Software, Intelligent  Tutoring  Systems,
Knowledge  Acquisition  and Representation,  Knowledge-Based  CAI
Systems,  Media-Based CAI, Performance  Monitoring,  Presentation
CAI and ICAI, Problem Generation, Simulations, Student  Modelling
and   Cognitive  Diagnosis,  Visualization  of  Algorithms,   and
Innovative   Applications in Medicine, Arts, Music,  Engineering,
Business, Sciences, Humanities, Language Learning, etc.
  Workshops,  tutorials,   and  panels  on  subjects  of  current
interest  will  also be  offered.  Anticipated  workshop/tutorial
themes  are  Authoring  Software,  Cognitive  Science,   Computer
Assisted    Language   Learning,    Human-Computer    Interfaces,
Hypermedia, and Intelligent Tutoring Systems.

  Six  invited  speeches will be given by  the   world's  leading
experts  in areas covering the major themes of the conference and
exhibits of software and hardware products are being planned.

  The    previous  ICCAL  conferences  were  held   in   Calgary,
Canada (1987), Dallas  Texas (1989), and Hagen,  Germany  (1990).
ICCAL'92  will  take place at Acadia University, Wolfville,  Nova
Scotia, Canada.

  ICCAL usually attracts around 300 attendees and the proceedings
of  the  last two conferences have  been published in the Lecture
Notes  in Computer Science  by Springer Verlag. This will be  the
case for ICCAL'92 as well.

  Deadline for submission of papers: October 4, 1991.
  Paper   format:  4 copies of paper consisting of a  title  page
with  author   name(s)  and  affiliation(s), one  page   with   a
200-word  abstract,  keywords, and names of  relevant  conference
topics,  and a 2,500 to 3,500 word long manuscript.

Send submissions and enquiries to

Dr. I. Tomek, Jodrey School of Computer Science,
Acadia University, Wolfville, Nova Scotia, B0P 1X0, Canada,
phone: (902)-542-2201/467, fax: (902)-542-7224,
e-mail: INTERNET:ICCAL@AcadiaU.ca

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 Feb 91 08:00:37 -0500
From: fpst@hubcap.clemson.edu (Steve Stevenson)
To: simulation-request@bikini.cis.ufl.edu
Subject: Cross post request

Newsgroups: comp.simulation
From: mosley@ezra.mcs.anl.gov (James L. Mosley)
Subject: Re: Distributed memory multiprocessor simulator
Sender: news@antares.mcs.anl.gov

In article <1991Feb19.080504.18189@cs.umu.se> jacob@nydala.cs.umu.se (Peter Jacobson) writes:

>I am working on a simulator ...
>The kind of architectures in mind are mainly hypercube architectures
>like the Intel iPSC/2, NCUBE etc.
>
>Does anyone know of work related to this project?
>Please respond by email, and I will summarize if there is interest.

	Intel Scientific Computers already has such a beast.  It simulates
the iPSC/2 on unix machines.  You could probably contact them for more
information.

Intel Scientific Computers
15201 N.W. Greenbrier Parkway
Beaverton, Or 97006

Hope this helps.

Steve Hammond
send responses to hammond@mcs.anl.gov (this is a friends account)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 Feb 91 11:05:50 -0500
From: Jonathan Marshall <marshall@cs.unc.edu>
To: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu
Subject: Paper available -- visual orientation multiplexing simulation

	  **** Please do not re-post to other bboards. ****

Papers available, hardcopy only.

       ADAPTIVE NEURAL METHODS FOR MULTIPLEXING ORIENTED EDGES

			 Jonathan A. Marshall

		    Department of Computer Science

Edge linearization operators are often used in computer vision and in
neural network models of vision to reconstruct noisy or incomplete
edges.  Such operators gather evidence for the presence of an edge at
various orientations across all image locations and then choose the
orientation that best fits the data at each point.  One disadvantage
of such methods is that they often function in a winner-take-all
fashion: the presence of only a single orientation can be represented
at any point; multiple edges cannot be represented where they
intersect.  For example, the neural Boundary Contour System of
Grossberg and Mingolla implements a form of winner-take-all
competition between orthogonal orientations at each spatial location,
to promote sharpening of noisy, uncertain image data.  But that
competition may produce rivalry, oscillation, instability, or mutual
suppression when intersecting edges (e.g., a cross) are present.  This
"cross problem" exists for all techniques, including Markov Random
Fields, where a representation of a chosen favored orientation
suppresses representations of alternate orientations.

A new adaptive technique, using both an inhibitory learning rule and
an excitatory learning rule, weakens inhibition between neurons
representing poorly correlated orientations.  It may reasonably be
assumed that neurons coding dissimilar orientations are less likely to
be coactivated than neurons coding similar orientations.  Multiplexing
by superposition is ordinarily generated: combinations of intersecting
edges become represented by simultaneous activation of multiple
neurons, each of which represents a single supported oriented edge.
Unsupported or weakly supported orientations are suppressed.  The
cross problem is thereby solved.

[to appear in Proceedings of the SPIE Conference on Advances in
Intelligent Systems, Boston, November 1990.]

Also available:

J.A. Marshall, "A Self-Organizing Scale-Sensitive Neural Network."
	In Proceedings of the International Joint Conference on
	Neural Networks, San Diego, June 1990, Vol.III., pp.649-654.

J.A. Marshall, "Self-Organizing Neural Networks for Perception of
	Visual Motion."  Neural Networks, 3, pp.45-74 (1990).

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
=									=
=   Jonathan A. Marshall			  marshall@cs.unc.edu   =
=   Department of Computer Science					=
=   CB 3175, Sitterson Hall						=
=   University of North Carolina		  Office 919-962-1887	=
=   Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3175, U.S.A.		     Fax 919-962-1799	=
=									=
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

To: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu
Subject: Re: F-18 Flight Simulator
Newsgroups: comp.simulation
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 91 12:08:47 EST
From: dcousins@BBN.COM
Sender: dcousins@BBN.COM

Regarding a previously requested F18 flight simulator...

Thanks to your post, I went hunking and found acm. It can be found on
expo.lcs.mit.edu (sorry, I forgot the path, but it was contribution
or something...). Unless you have a real hummer of a machine, expect
the response time to be a bit disappointing.....

Dave Cousins

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 Feb 91 14:58:54 EST
From: jcp@sarnoff.com (John Pearson W343 x2385)
Subject: NIPS Call for Papers

                                   CALL FOR PAPERS
                        Neural Information Processing Systems
                               -Natural and Synthetic-
                   Monday, December 2 - Thursday, December 5, 1991
                                  Denver, Colorado

          This is the fifth meeting  of  an  inter-disciplinary  conference
          which   brings   together  neuroscientists,  engineers,  computer
          scientists, cognitive scientists, physicists, and  mathematicians
          interested  in  all aspects of neural processing and computation.
          There will be an afternoon  of  tutorial  presentations  (Dec  2)
          preceding  the  regular session and two days of focused workshops
          will follow at a nearby ski area (Dec 6-7). Major categories  and
          examples   of   subcategories   for  paper  submissions  are  the
          following;

           Neuroscience:  Studies  and  Analyses   of   Neurobiological
            Systems,  Inhibition in cortical circuits, Signals and noise
            in neural computation, Theoretical Biology and Biophysics.
           Theory: Computational Learning  Theory,  Complexity  Theory,
            Dynamical  Systems,  Statistical  Mechanics, Probability and
            Statistics, Approximation Theory.
            Implementation  and  Simulation:  VLSI,  Optical,   Software
            Simulators,  Implementation  Languages,  Parallel  Processor
            Design and Benchmarks.
           Algorithms   and   Architectures:    Learning    Algorithms,
            Constructive   and   Pruning   Algorithms,  Localized  Basis
            Functions,    Tree    Structured    Networks,    Performance
            Comparisons, Recurrent Networks, Combinatorial Optimization,
            Genetic Algorithms.
           Cognitive Science & AI: Natural Language, Human Learning and
            Memory, Perception and Psychophysics, Symbolic Reasoning.
           Visual Processing:  Stereopsis,  Visual  Motion  Processing,
            Image Coding and Classification.
           Speech and Signal Processing:  Speech  Recognition,  Coding,
            and   Synthesis,   Text-to-Speech,   Adaptive  Equalization,
            Nonlinear Noise Removal.
           Control, Navigation, and Planning Navigation  and  Planning,
            Learning  Internal Models of the World, Trajectory Planning,
            Robotic Motor Control, Process Control.
           Applications Medical Diagnosis or Data  Analysis,  Financial
            and   Economic   Analysis,  Timeseries  Prediction,  Protein
            Structure Prediction, Music Processing, Expert Systems.

          Technical Program:  Plenary, contributed and poster sessions will
          be  held.   There will be no parallel sessions.  The full text of
          presented  papers  will  be  published.   Submission  Procedures:
          Original  research  contributions  are  solicited,  and  will  be
          carefully refereed.  Authors must submit six  copies  of  both  a
          1000-word  (or less) summary and six copies of a separate single-
          page  50-100  word  abstract  clearly   stating   their   results
          postmarked  by May 17, 1991. Accepted abstracts will be published
          in the conference program.  Summaries are for  program  committee
          use  only.   At the bottom of each abstract page and on the first
          summary page indicate preference for oral or poster  presentation
          and  specify  one  of  the  above  nine  broad categories and, if
          appropriate, sub-categories (For example:  Poster,  Applications-
          Expert   Systems;   Oral,  Implementation-Analog  VLSI).  Include
          addresses of all authors at the front  of  the  summary  and  the
          abstract  and  indicate  to which author correspondence should be
          addressed. Submissions will not be considered that lack  category
          information,  separate  abstract sheets, the required six copies,
          author addresses, or are late.

          Mail Submissions To:

          Stephen J. Hanson
	  NIPS*91 Submissions
          Siemens Research Center
          755 College Road East
          Princeton NJ, 08540

          Mail For Registration Material To:

          NIPS*91 Registration
          Siemens Research Center
          755 College Road East
          Princeton, NJ, 08540

          All  submitting  authors  will  be  sent  registration   material
          automatically.   Program  committee decisions will be sent to the
          correspondence author only.

          NIPS*91 Organizing Committee: General Chair, John Moody, Yale U.;
          Program  Chair,  Stephen  J. Hanson, Siemens Research & Princeton
          U.; Publications Chair, Richard Lippmann, MIT Lincoln Laboratory;
          Publicity  Chair,  John  Pearson,  SRI,  David  Sarnoff  Research
          Center; Treasurer, Bob Allen, Bellcore; Local Arrangements,  Mike
          Mozer,  University of Colorado; Program Co-Chairs:, David Ackley,
          Bellcore; Pierre Baldi, JPL & Caltech; William Bialek,  NEC;  Lee
          Giles,  NEC; Mike Jordan, MIT; Steve Omohundro, ICSI; John Platt,
          Synaptics; Terry Sejnowski, Salk Institute; David Stork, Ricoh  &
          Stanford;  Alex Waibel, CMU; Tutorial Chair: John Moody, Workshop
          CoChairs: Gerry Tesauro, IBM & Scott Kirkpatrick,  IBM;  Domestic
          Liasons: IEEE Liaison, Rodney Goodman, Caltech; APS Liaison, Eric
          Baum, NEC; Neurobiology Liaison, Tom Brown, Yale U.; Government &
          Corporate  Liaison,  Lee  Giles,  NEC;  Overseas  Liasons: Mitsuo
          Kawato, ATR; Marwan Jabri, University of Sydney;  Benny  Lautrup,
          Niels  Bohr  Institute;  John  Bridle, RSRE; Andreas Meier, Simon
          Bolivar U.
                 DEADLINE FOR SUMMARIES & ABSTRACTS IS MAY 17, 1991
                                     please post

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 23 Feb 91 01:11:30 GMT
From: mcleod@M5.Sdsc.Edu
Subject: Digest inputs
To: fishwick@bikini.cis.ufl.edu

                    ***  CALL FOR PAPERS ***

                   SIMULATION IN EDUCATION FOR
                  BUSINESS, MANAGEMENT AND MIS

                1992 SCS Western Multiconference
             January 20-22, 1992 - Newport Beach, CA

SCS SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT AND CALL FOR PAPERS - At the 1991 SCS WMC

a significant portion of the Business/Management papers dealt with

the use of simulation as a education/training environment for the

teaching of simulation to Business/Management students.  Our 1992

conference will focus on these areas, and have special interest for

professors of IE, Decision Sciences, Management Science, Finance,

etc.

THE USE OF SIMULATION IN EDUCATION ENVIRONMENTS FOR BUSINESS,
MANAGEMENT & MIS

Possible topic areas include:
     * Design and implementation of training environments using

     simulation.
     * Testing and validation of training simulation environments.

     * Determining the effectiveness of training simulation
     environments.
     * Applications of training simulation environments in
     corporate management training centers.
     * Applications of training simulations environments in
     academic schools of business.

THE EDUCATION OF BUSINESS, MANAGEMENT & MIS STUDENTS IN THE USE OF

SIMULATION

Possible topic areas include:

     * Descriptions of curriculums for teaching simulation skills

     in business schools.
     * Curriculums, methods & tools for teaching simulation
          * for business policy & strategy analysis.
          * for business planning & decision support.
          * for business operations & control.
          * for business information systems support.
          * for marketing & product development.

TUTORIALS AND PANELS ON THE ABOVE AREAS OF INTEREST

Possible topic areas include:
     * Simulation languages applicable to building training
     environments for business training.
     * Problems of obtaining funding and approval to establish

     simulation education within schools of business and/or MIS.

IMPORTANT DATES AND CHAIRPERSONS:
Abstracts or full papers due:      July 1, 1991
Notification of
 acceptance/rejection:             Aug  1, 1991
Tutorial Commitments due:          Oct  1, 1991
Camera-ready papers due:           Oct 15, 1991

Submit papers or abstracts for review to the appropriate program

chair, in care of the conference name, to SCS, P.O. Box 17900, San

Diego, CA  92177.  Only previously unpublished papers will be
considered.

Conference Chair:        Joseph E. Hilber, AT&T
                         (201) 231-6370
                         attmail!hilber@att.com

Program Chair -          Robert S. Roberts, New Mexico State
Teaching Simulation      University
in Business Schools:     (505) 646-4903
                         rroberts@nmsu.edu
Program Chair -
Simulation as            Angela J. Dixon, University of Tulsa
Training Environment:    (918) 631-8861
                         adixon@tulsa.bitnet

                          Sponsored by
               The Society for Computer Simulation
               P.O. Box 17900, San Diego, CA 92177
            TEL: (619) 277-3888  FAX: (619) 277-3930
                       mcleod@sdsc.bitnet

                    ***  CALL FOR PAPERS  ***

                            (Revised)

                           SIMTEC '91
                      Simulation Technology
                  Conference International 1991

   October 21-23, 1991  /  Orlando Twin Towers  /  Orlando, FL

SimTec '91 will be the first in a series of Fall technical
conferences organized by Regional Councils of The Society for
Computer Simulation.  The conference is expected to attract
internationally-known experts in simulation who wish to exchange

their latest research results, ideas, and refereed papers to other

simulationists in an atmosphere conducive to the advancement of

simulation and its applications.

                                   * Massively Parallel and
* Simulation Laboratories            Distributed Systems
     Keith Klukis,                      Stephen Seidman,
  Martin Marietta Missile Systems       Auburn University
     (407) 356-6381                     (205) 844-4330

* Manufacturing                    * Signal Processing
     Bernard Schroer,                   Jerry Viviano,
  University of Alabama-Huntsville           UDS
     (205) 895-6361                     (205) 430-8351

* Control Systems                  * Sensors, Pattern Recognition

     C.F. Chen,                         Mary Lou Padgett,
  Boston University                     Auburn University
     (617) 353-2567                     (205) 821-2472

* Computer Image Generation        * Robotics
     Greg Sauer,                        Gary Workman,
  Martin Marietta Missile Systems    Univ. of Alabama-Huntsville

     (407) 356-6381                     (205) 895-6578

* Biomedical Simulation            * Networks
     Mailen Kootsey,                    Neal Bengtson,
  Simulation Resources               IBM Network Analysis Center

     (919) 490-1966                     (919) 254-4388

* Real Time Systems                * Materials Engineering
     Richard Wavell,                    Warton Jemian,
  Martin Marietta Missile Systems    Auburn University
     (407) 356-6381                     (205) 844-3321

                 * AI, KBS, and Neural Networks
                         Mary Lou Padgett,
                         Auburn University
                         (205) 821-2472

                  BEST SIMTEC '91 PAPER AWARDS
Selected papers will be considered for publication in the SCS
monthly journal, SIMULATION.  Paper contest categories are:
Academic, Industrial, and Government.
**SPECIAL NOTE FOR STUDENTS**  Papers submitted by students,
accompanied by a cover letter from their supervising professor,

will be considered for the SESC '91 Student Paper Competition
Award: $500.

                       DEADLINES AND DATES
One page abstracts, session, tutorial, discussion, and working

group proposals are due by APRIL 15, 1991.  Include a cover letter

stating the name, address and phone number of each author.  Specify

category: academic, industrial, or government.  Authors and
presenters will be notified by MAY 15, 1991.  Draft papers are due

JUNE 15, 1991.  Final papers or briefing slides MUST be received

by AUGUST 1, 1991 for inclusion in the Proceedings.

*General Chairman*                 *Program Chairman*
Joseph Gauthier                    M. Keith Klukis
Mitchell & Gauthier                Martin Marietta Missile
 Associates, Inc.                   Systems
(205) 881-0947                     (407) 356-6381

*Technical Editor*                 *Treasurer*
Mary Lou Padgett                   James Newell
Auburn University                  OMMCS, Redstone Arsenal
(205) 821-2472                     (205) 876-9406

                  SUBMIT ONE PAGE ABSTRACTS TO:

    Mary Lou Padgett, 1165 Owens Road, Auburn, Alabama 36830.
                      Phone: (205) 821-2472

                          Sponsored by
               The Society for Computer Simulation
               P.O. Box 17900, San Diego, CA 92177
            TEL: (619) 277-3888  FAX: (619) 277-3930
                       mcleod@sdsc.bitnet
                   (in cooperation with SPIE)

------------------------------

From: B M Smith <bms@dcs.leeds.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 91 17:16:03 GMT
          Fri, 22 Feb 91 17:16:03 GMT
To: simulation@UFL.edu
Subject: Item for Distribution

                        *****************
                        *               *
                        *  A I S B 9 1  *
                        *               *
                        *****************

                     UNIVERSITY OF LEEDS, UK

                       16 - 19 APRIL 1991

                   TUTORIAL PROGRAMME 16 APRIL

                 TECHNICAL PROGRAMME 17-19 APRIL
                        with sessions on:
                  * Distributed Intelligent Agents
                  * Situatedness and Emergence in Autonomous Agents
                  * New Modes of Reasoning
                  * The Knowledge Level Perspective
                  * Theorem Proving
                  * Machine Learning

      Programmes and registration forms are now available from:
                  Barbara Smith
                  AISB91 Local Organizer
                  School of Computer Sudies
                  University of Leeds