[comp.simulation] SIMULATION DIGEST V20 N7

simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu (Moderator: Paul Fishwick) (03/05/91)

Volume: 20, Issue: 7, Mon Mar  4 16:55:30 EST 1991

+----------------+
| TODAY'S TOPICS |
+----------------+

(1) BOOK: Knowledge Based Simulation
(2) BOOK: Qualitative Simulation Modeling & Analysis
(3) Meeting to Honor Garrett Birkhoff
(4) Information Systems Simulation
(5) Simulation in the Health Profession
(6) Simulation in Ada

* Moderator: Paul Fishwick, Univ. of Florida
* Send topical mail to: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu OR
  post to comp.simulation via USENET
* Archives available via FTP to bikini.cis.ufl.edu (128.227.224.1).
  Login as 'ftp', use your last name as the password, change
  directory to pub/simdigest. Do 'type binary' before any file xfers.
* Simulation Tools available by doing above and changing the
  directory to pub/simdigest/tools.

To: comp-simulation@UCSD.EDU
From: springer@engrhub.UCSD.EDU
Subject: New book on simulation
Date: 27 Feb 91 21:51:35 GMT
Sender: news@hub.ucsb.edu

ANNOUNCEMENT OF A NEW BOOK:

          KNOWLEDGE-BASED SIMULATION: METHODOLOGY AND APPLICATION

                          edited by
                Paul A. Fishwick and Richard B. Modjeski

Volume 4 in the Series Advances in Simulation  (edited by Paul A. Luker and
Bernd Schmidt)
Springer-Verlag, New York, 1991. 294 pages; ISBN 0-387-97374-5; $39.00.

Computer simulation is the use of either an analog or a digital computer to
model and analyze complex artificial and natural systems. The editors define
knowledge-based simulation as the application of knowledge-based methods within
artificial intelligence (AI) to the field of computer simulation. As with any
hybrid approach to research there is a two way street when considering the
relationship between AI and simulation. That is, simulation techniques can
often be seen to also have an effect on AI research.

This book is a representative cumulation of research within the bridge area of
AI and computer simulation performed in government, industry and academia over
the last decade.

Part one of the book deals with the methodology involved, and contains the
following contributions:

1. Application of Artificial Intelligence Techniques to Simulation, Norman R.
Nielsen    2. The DEVS-Scheme Modelling and Simulation Environment, Tag Gon Kim
and Bernard P. Zeigler    3. Methods for Qualitative Modelling in Simulation,
Paul A. Fishwick    4. Dynamic Templates and Semantic Rules for Simulation
Advisors and Certifiers,Tuncer I. Oren    5. Knowledge Acquisition Based on
Representation (KAR) for Design Model Development, Jhyfang Hu and Jerzy W.
Rozenblit    6. Automatic Model Generation for Troubleshooting, Arie Ben-David
7. From CAD/CAM to Simulation: Automatic Model Generation for Mechanical
Devices, Andrew Gelsey.

Part two discusses applications and presents the following chapters:

8. Knowledge-Based Simulation at the RAND Corporation, Jeff Rothenberg    9. An
Architecture for High-Level Human Task Animation Control, Jeffrey Esakov and
Norman I. Badler    10. The Acquisition of Cognitive Simulation Models: A
Knowledge-Based Training Approach, Kent E. Williams and Richard E. Reynolds
11. Strategic Automatic Discovery System (STRADS), Colleen M. Oresky, Douglas
B. Lenat, Albert Clarkson, and Stephen H. Kaisler    12. Uncertainty Management
in Battle-Planning Software, Ben P. Wise and Richard B. Modjeski.

------------------------------

To: comp-simulation@UCSD.EDU
From: springer@engrhub.UCSD.EDU
Date: 27 Feb 91 21:54:55 GMT
Sender: news@hub.ucsb.edu

ANNOUNCEMENT OF A NEW BOOK:

               QUALITATIVE SIMULATION MODELING AND ANALYSIS

                              edited by
                 Paul A. Fishwick and Paul A. Luker
                 (with a foreword by Herb A. Simon)

Volume 5 in the Series Advances in Simulation  (edited by Paul A. Luker and
Bernd Schmidt)
Springer-Verlag, New York, 1991. Approx. 330 pages, 122 Illustr.; ISBN
0-387-97400-8; $44.00.

Qualitative simulation can be defined in a number of ways and from a variety of
perspectives. In general terms it can be defined as a classification of
simulation and modeling methods that are primarily non-numerical in nature. The
qualitative characterization of systems can apply to simulation input,  output,
model structure, and analysis. Qualitative study does not preclude
quantitative approaches - instead it can augment them.

The study of how one can utilize symbolic forms in simulation modeling is a key
concern of qualitative simulation. Pictorial methods are important in
simulation modeling since these methods let users create system analogies by
using graph-based techniques. There is substantial evidence of qualitative
methodology in a wide variety of disciplines from ecological system modeling to
power flow modeling in mechanical engineering. This book brings together many
otherwise disparate sources under the umbrella of qualitative simulation and
analysis. The study of qualitative simulation, like simulation in general,  is
highly inter-disciplinary, and so qualitative methods as described within each
chapter will have a wide range of utility to those who are seeking more
comprehensible and flexible simulation methods.

Chapters:

1. Invariance and Nominal Value Mapping as Key Themes for Qualitative
Simulation, Paul A. Fishwick     2. Aspects of Uncertainty in Qualitative
Systems Modelling, George J. Klir     3. General System Problem Solving
Paradigm, for Qualitative Modeling, Francois E. Cellier     4. A Qualitative
Approach to Causal Modeling, Richard Scheines, Peter Spirtes and Clark Glymour
5. Causal Ordering Analysis, Yumi Iwasaki     6. Qualitative Modeling in
Ecology: Loop Analysis, Signed Digraphs and Time Averaging, Charles J. Puccia
and Richard Levins     7. System Dynamics: Simulation for Policy Analysis from
a Feedback Perspective, George P. Richardson     8. Analogy Theory for a
Systems Approach to Physical and Technical Systems, P.M.A.L. Hezemans and Leo
van Geffen     9. Bondgraphs for Qualitative and Quantitative Systems
Modelling, Jean U. Thoma     10. Complex Dynamical Models, Ralph H. Abraham
11. Qualitative Modeling Using Natural Language: An Application in System
Dynamics,Wanda M. Austin and Behrokh Khoshnevis     12. Natural Language,
Cognitive Models, and Simulation, Howard Beck and Paul A. Fishwick.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 1 Mar 91 14:12:31 EST
From: khahn@cs.rutgers.edu (Karen Hahn)
To: fishwick@fish.cis.ufl.edu
Cc: khahn@cs.rutgers.edu
Subject: [vichneve@cs.rutgers.edu: Program to honor Garrett Birkhoff]

		A MEETING TO HONOR GARRETT BIRKHOFF

			ON HIS 80TH BIRTHDAY

There will be, on Friday June 28,  1991, a special  one-day program of
invited technical  presentations at Harvard  University to honor Prof.
Garrett Birkhoff  on the occasion of  his 80th Birthday.  This program
is part of, and is scheduled to  take place  at  the  end of the IMACS
INTERNATIONAL  SYMPOSIUM ON  COMPUTATIONAL  ACOUSTICS at Harvard, that
begins  on Wednesday, June  26 and ends  on  Friday  the 28th (Garrett
Birkhoff's birthday  was actually on January  11, but it was felt that
honoring him in June, and at the end of a Symposium on a  subject that
is  closely related  to   his   many accomplishment  would  give    an
opportunity  to more of his past  students, friends and colleagues  to
participate).  This  day  of presentations,  organized  and chaired by
Richard Varga, will be  followed by a Banquet  (at the JFK Center)  on
Friday night.

				*  *  *
	  	   SPEAKERS IN THE SCIENTIFIC PROGRAM
      (program begins at 8:00 am - exact times and places to be announced)

WILLIAM F. AMES, Georgia Institute of Technology
	"Optimal Numerical Methods"
JERRY L. BONA, Pennsylvania State University
	"Formulation of Singularities in Nonlinear Wave Equations"
CARL DE BOOR, University of Wisconsin
	"Polynomial Interpolation in several variables"
PETER J. OLVER, University of Minnesota
	"Symmetry, Computer Algebra and Computing"
MARTIN H. SCHULTZ, Yale University
	"Sparse Linear Algebra on Parallel Supercomputers"
RICHARD S. VARGA, Kent State University
	"Scientific Computation on Mathematical Problems and Conjectures"
ROBERT VICHNEVETSKY, Rutgers University
	"Wave Propagation: the Relation Between Numerical Computation and
         Physics"
CALVIN H. WILCOX, University of Utah
	"Ultrasonic Imaging at the Advanced Imaging Methods Laboratory,
        University of Utah"
DAVID M. YOUNG, University of Texas
	"Accelerated Iterative Methods for the Numerical Solution of
	Partial Differential Equations"
			*   *   *
While this special program is open to all, preregistration will be
appreciated. Moreover, pre- registration for the Friday night Banquet
should be received no later than May 31, to allow for the ordering of
meals.

An invitation and details about the program will  be sent to those who
have pre registered.

Additional information may be obtained by contacting Prof.   R.  Varga
(Mathematics,     Kent State University,    Kent,   OH  44242  e-mail:
varga@mcs.kent.edu)) or the  IMACS  Secretary Karen Hahn  (IMACS,  c/o
Computer Science, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ 08903, e-mail:
khahn@cs.rutgers.edu,  FAX 908-932-5530)   or the Symposium  Secretary
Marsha G. Cormier (Harvard University, Pierce Hall, 29  Oxford Street,
Cambridge MA 02138, e-mail robinson@pacific.harvard.edu)

please complete and mail

	REGISTRATION FORM FOR THE DAY TO HONOR GARRETT BIRKHOFF

name, title, etc..________________________________________________________

affiliation_______________________________________________________________

address  _________________________________________________________________

tel and e-mail address (optional)_________________________________________

				* * *

__ I intend to attend the "Birkhoff Day" Scientific Program on Friday,
June 28, 1991 . @*Please send me an Invitation ticket and Program
Information.

__ Please reserve for me _______ ticket(s) for the Banquet at $ 45.00
each (check enclosed, made payable to IMACS).

__ I would like to participate to the Symposium on Computational
Acoustics on June 26-28 at Harvard University. Please send me
information and registration material.

__ Please send me information for travel and accomodation near Harvard
University.

Mail to: Karen  Hahn              or to    Marsha G Cormier
         IMACS Secretariat 		  Harvard University
	 Rutgers University	          Pierce Hall, 29 Oxford Str.
         New Brunswick, NJ 08903 	  Cambridge, MA 02138
	 e-mail khahn@cs.rutgers.edu      e-mail robinson@pacific.harvard.edu
	 Fax 908 932 5530

e-mail is permitted for reservations, but checks by regular mail
for participation in the Banquet will be appreciated.

------------------------------

From brady@chopin.udel.edu Sat Mar  2 09:46:42 1991
	(5.61+/IDA-1.2.8) id AA27304; Sat, 2 Mar 91 09:46:33 -0500
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 91 09:46:33 -0500
From: Joseph Brady <brady@chopin.udel.edu>
To: brady@chopin.udel.edu, simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu
Subject: information systems simulations

I am teaching information systems courses to undergraduates. I would
like to have a game in students would construct an  information
system, which would be evaluated by the simulation on its
effectiveness. I am unable to find any such software, or discussions
of such software in literature. Two questions: (1) are you
aware of any simulations intended to teach information systems
principles and (2) of the various journals aimed at those interested
in simulation, which would be most pertinent for the business
educator?

Joe Brady

------------------------------

From "shannonb@pinjel.ucq.edu.au"@topaz.ucq.edu.au Sun Mar  3 21:15:17 1991
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 91 11:49 +1000
From: "shannonb@pinjel.ucq.edu.au"@topaz.ucq.edu.au
Subject: health and nursing related hypercard stacks
To: comp-simulation@munnari.oz.au

Newsgroups: comp.simulation
From: shannonb@pinjel.ucq.edu.au (Wombat)
Date: 4 Mar 91 11:49:38 AET

Is anyone currently interested or involved  in designing health , nursing and
medical simulations or CML , CAL, CAI, CBT etc etc etc .

We are currently designing a variety of hypercard based educational offerings.
We are also interested in sharing comments / problems / ideas etc that will help
us develop our tools and provide the springboard for future developments.

If you have stacks etc that are shareware , or for sale, we would like to hear
from you.

Please E-mail direct

Thank you for your time and effort

Bruce Shannon

shannonb@pinjel.ucq.edu.au            Access Code - 61 - 079 - 369862
School of Health Science, University College of Central Queensland,
North Rockhampton, Queensland 4701, Australia, Southern Hemisphere, Gaia.
"Doctrina Perpetua"

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 1 Mar 1991 13:14 PST
From: mailrus!uunet!MDCBBS.COM!"sandy@dev3.mdcbbs.com"
Subject: Ada simulation support?
To: uflorida!uflorida.cis.ufl.edu!simulation-request

Newsgroups: comp.simulation
From: sandy@dev3.mdcbbs.com (Wayne E. Sanders Jr.)
Date: 1 Mar 91 13:09:18 GMT

I am looking for any work done on discrete event simulations in Ada.  I know of
Unger's work but I wonder if there isn't something more recent.  I would be
very interested in a set of routines in Ada to support simulation, either
commercial or public domain.

Please respond by email.  If there is interest I will summarize for the net.
Thanks in advance.

Sandy
W. E. Sanders Jr. | +1 213 373 1372 | sandy@dev3.mdcbbs.com | VERY OLD PREAMBLE

END OF SIMULATION DIGEST