[comp.simulation] SIMULATION DIGEST V20 N8

simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu (Moderator: Paul Fishwick) (03/08/91)

Volume: 20, Issue: 8, Thu Mar  7 13:25:12 EST 1991

+----------------+
| TODAY'S TOPICS |
+----------------+

(1) Sessions on Environmental Simulation
(2) CALL: Visualization '91
(3) Modelling the UNIX Scheduler
(4) Modeling Human Communication Networks
(5) UMIACS Parallel Processing Lab Resources
(6) SOFTWARE: Hypercube Simulator
(7) CALL: Simulation in Education
(8) FTP is Working Now

* Moderator: Paul Fishwick, Univ. of Florida
* Send topical mail to: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu OR
  post to comp.simulation via USENET
* Archives available via FTP to bikini.cis.ufl.edu (128.227.224.1).
  Login as 'ftp', use your last name as the password, change
  directory to pub/simdigest. Do 'type binary' before any file xfers.
* Simulation Tools available by doing above and changing the
  directory to pub/simdigest/tools.

Date:    Tue, 5 Mar 91 00:27:46 GMT
From: mcleod@Sdsc.Edu
Subject: [For Simulation Digest]
To: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu

SPECIAL  ADDED  ATTRACTION!
 (And I don't mean the dinner cruise with New Orleans jazz)

There will be special sessions on simulating various aspects of the
environment, the system that (currently) supports all of us, at
the SCS (Society for Computer Simulation) 1991 Simulation
MultiConference in New Orleans, April 1 - 5, that are NOT SHOWN
ON THE PRELIMINARY PROGRAM.

These sessions will be additions to the continuing track "Toward
Understanding Our Environment" which made its debut at the
Society for Computer Simulation 1991 Western MultiConference at
the Disneyland Hotel in Anaheim, California, with five excellent
presentations.  The New Orleans sessions are planned for the
afternoon  of Monday April 1, before the "food & jazz" cruise on
the on Mighty Mississippi that evening (NO April foolin').

Consideration is also being given to an informal session where
those who are simply worried about current trends can discuss
their concerns with those who are trying to use simulation as a
tool to UNDERSTAND how best to attack the recognised problems.
See the final 1991 Simulation MultiConference program for details
about this get-together, which is planned for Tuesday April 2.
If you are not on our mailing list to get the 1991 Simulation
MultiConference Final program please REPLY to "mcleod@sdsc",
Subject: "Toward Understanding Our Environment"

John Mcleod

------------------------------

Newsgroups: comp.simulation
From: mailrus!ulowell!grinstei@uunet.UU.NET (Georges Grinstein)
Subject: CFP - Visualization'91
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 1991 00:47:19 GMT
Apparently-To: ulowell!uunet!comp-simulation

                   Technical Committee on Computer Graphics.
                   October 22-25, 1991   San Diego, California

This second conference will continue to explore how visualization is
being used to extract knowledge from data.  The conference is
concerned with all aspects of visualization, with a focus on
interdisciplinary techniques.  The conference will allow a dialogue to
occur between the developers of visualization methods and visualization
users across the full spectrum of science, engineering and  business.

                 Paper Submission (due April 15, 1991)

Original papers for the conference proceedings should be limited to
5000 words.  Where appropriate, the use of video as part of the paper is
strongly encouraged.   Videos should be submitted for review with
papers.  Contact either co-chair for  information.  Four copies of each
paper and ntsc-vhs video should be submitted  to Gregory Nielson,
papers co-chair.

Co-Chairs:

Gregory M. Nielson
Computer Science Department
Arizona State University
Rural Road and University Ave.
Tempe, AZ  85287-5406
(602) 965-2785
nielson@enuxva.eas.asu.edu

Larry Rosenblum
Naval Research Laboratory
rosenblum@ccf.nrl.navy mil

Panel Proposals (due April 15, 1991)
Proposals for panels are solicited.  These should emphasize the
application of scientific visualization to problems in research,
development, demonstration, or business.  The panels will be presented
in parallel with papers and the case studies during the conference.  A
six page summary or position statements will be published in the
proceedings which will be available at the conference.

Co-Chairs:

R. Daniel Bergeron
Department of Computer Science
University of New Hampshire
Durham, NH  03824
(603) 862-2677
rdb@unh.edu

Nahum D. Gershon
The MITRE Corporation
7325 Colshire Drive
McLean, VA 22102-3481
(703) 883-7518

Tutorial Proposals (due April 15, 1991)
Proposals for full and 1/2 day tutorials (beginning & advanced) are
solicited.  These will be held on Tuesday of the conference week.

Co-Chairs:

Gary Laguna
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
P.O. Box 808, L-125
Livermore, CA 94550
(415)422-5659
laguna@icdc.llnl.gov

Hikmet Senay
Dept. of Electrical Engineering & Computer Science
George Washington University
Washington, DC 20052
(202) 994-5910

Interdisciplinary Case Studies (due April 15, 1991)
Proposals examining the interdisciplinary nature of visualization, tools
and real time applications are especially solicited.  These will be
presented at the conference and a four page summary will be published
in the proceedings.  The intent here is to emphasize the
interdisciplinary nature of most applications of visualization .

Co-Chairs:

Paul Hazan
Applied Physics Laboratory
John Hopkins University
Laurel, MD 20707
(301) 953-5364

Jeffrey Posdamer
AT&T Bell Labs
Room 15E-315
1 Whittany Road
Whittany, NJ 07981-0903
(201) 386-6396

Demonstrations (due June 3, 1991)
A portion of the conference will be devoted solely to demonstrations.
Research organizations and commercial companies interested in
presenting should contact the co-chairs.

Co-Chairs:

Jerome Cox
Department of Computer Science
Washington University, Box 1045
St. Louis, MO 63130
(314) 889-6132
jrc@cs.wustl.edu

Susan Stearman
Digital Equipment Corporation
4 Results Way MRO4-2/H19
Marlboro, MA 01752-3070
(508) 467-3575

Workshops (due April 15, 1991)
Proposals for 1 or 2 day workshops on specific visualization methods or
the application of visualization to specific problems areas should be sent
to one of the workshop Co-Chairs.  These workshops should deal with
state-of-the-art topics and involve experts in the field.  If appropriate,
the workshops may be co-sponsored by another professional
organization.

Co-Chairs:

Art Olson
Department of Molecular Biology MB5
Research Institute of Scripps Clinic
La Jolla, CA 92037
(619) 554-9702
 olson@scripss.edu

Lloyd Treinish
IBM T. J. Watson Research Center
P.O. Box 704,  Room SK-Y68
Yorktown Heights, NY 10598
(914) 784-5038
lloyd@yktvmh3.ibm.com

Conference Co-Chairs
        Russell Athay, Biosym
        Bruce Brown, Oracle
	bbrown@oracle.com
Program Co-Chairs
        Georges Grinstein, University of Lowell
	grinstein@ulowell.edu
        Arie Kaufman, SUNY at Stony Brook

Please distribute hard copies of this note or forward to any lists you
think appropriate. If you have further publicity ideas please respond
via e-mail to me.
Thanks.
Jeff Beddow
beddow@vz.acs.umn.edu

 --
Dr. Georges Grinstein - Institute for Visualization and Perception Research
University of Lowell					 Lowell, MA 01854

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 5 Mar 91 15:38:17 -0600
From: drl@msc.edu (Dennis Lienke)
To: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu
Subject: UNIX scheduler
Cc: drl@msc.edu, dwm@msc.edu, jje@msc.edu

We are interested in experiences in modeling the UNIX scheduler.  This
is for application on very large, multi-processor machines, such as
CRAY-2's.  Thanks in advance ...

	dwm@msc.umn.edu	(Don Mears)
	drl@msc.umn.edu (Dennis Lienke)

------------------------------

From: mzack@lynx.northeastern.edu
Date: Wed,  6 Mar 91 09:12:56 EST
To: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu
Subject: modeling organizational communication

Is anyone aware of research done on modeling human communication networks
in groups or organizations? I am particularly interested in modeling
interaction within small groups to assess the impact of introducing
computer-mediated communication technology (e.g., electronic mail,
bulletin boards, etc.) on the group's communication patterns.

I know very little about simulation (other than a course in GPSS taken
15 years ago), but it appears to have potential for understanding
the dynamics of organizational communication. Any comments?

------------------------------

To: comp-simulation@uunet.UU.NET
From: curtiss@umiacs.umd.edu (Phil J. Curtiss)
Newsgroups: comp.ai,comp.ai.vision,comp.simulation
Subject: Getting accounts on the UMIACS Parallel Processing machines
Date: 6 Mar 91 18:19:12 GMT
Sender: news@mimsy.umd.edu

	A little while ago an announcement was made regarding the
availability of University of Maryland Institute for Advanced Computer
Studies (UMIACS) Parallel Processing Lab resources.  Since then, many people
have shown interest in gaining access to these resources.  Below, you will
find a brief summary of what must be submitted to get accounts and start
using the lab's machines.  More information than what is summarized below
may be required of you depending on your specific needs (disk space,
reserved time on a given machine, how many users from one site, etc.).

	To get an account on machines within the UMIACS Parallel Processing
Lab, you must submit a brief abstract of the project for which you wish to
use the machines in the lab along with a list of those who will be working
on the project and those that need accounts.  You must submit this request
to Mitch Murphy (the Parallel Processing Lab Manager) at the following
address mitch@umiacs.umd.edu.

	As stated in the previous article, the UMIACS Parallel Processing
Lab currently operates a 16k Connection Machine and a BBN Butterfly Machine,
with hopes of acquiring other architectures in the future.

	We are currently putting together a detailed document describing the
facilities of the Lab and will make it available via anonymous ftp from
ftp.umiacs.umd.edu.  A list of abstracts of all the current projects in the
lab is also being assembled and will be made available via anonymous ftp
from ftp.umiacs.umd.edu.  Please note that if you wish to apply for an
account on any of the lab's machines, and do *not* wish to be included in
the abstract list that is to be made available, please let us know.  If you
do so, we will not place your project in the list.

	Lastly, we ask that you circulate the availability of the UMIACS
Parallel Processing Lab resources to anyone you think might be interested
and might benefit from the use of the lab.  Please direct any questions you
may have to either curtiss@umiacs.umd.edu or mitch@umiacs.umd.edu.
 --
Domain: curtiss@umiacs.umd.edu		     Phillip Curtiss
  UUCP:	uunet!mimsy!curtiss		UMIACS - Univ. of Maryland

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 6 Mar 91 16:00:56 -0700
From: Dirk Grunwald <grunwald@foobar.Colorado.EDU>
To: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu
Subject: Simulation of the iPSC/2 et al
Office: 6-1 EECR (303) 492-0452

I have built a simulator for circuit switched hypercubes that was used
for performance studies of the JPL Hyperswitch, and can also be tuned
to mimic the iPSC/2.

It was used for network studies and load distribution simulations.

It's basically a ``home grown'' simulator written in C++. Bobby Nazief
at UIUC has extended it to support meshes and extended the load
distribution model to include migration.

Dirk Grunwald -- Univ. of Colorado at Boulder	(grunwald@foobar.colorado.edu)
						(grunwald@cs.colorado.edu)

[[MODERATOR: I have asked Dirk to provide us with some more information
on how to get his software. Here is his reply, FYI -- PAF]]

It's available now partly with the Gnu G++ library (Random and RNG
classes, Statistic and Histogram), and also from foobar.colorado.edu,
in pub/Awe2/Awe2-xx.yy.tar.Z.

This implements a general tasking library that runs on m68k, i386,
MIPS, SPARC, m88k and ns32k processors.	Additional classes to support
event-based simulation are being built right now, as I need them.  A
student is eventually taking the latter and making it run in
distributed time.

This software is generally available, with an FSF style copyleft, but
with precious little documentation.

Date:    Thu, 7 Mar 91 02:29:07 GMT
From: mcleod@Sdsc.Edu
Subject: Call for papers
To: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu

   *                                                   *
   *                CALL FOR PAPERS                    *
   *                                                   *
   *     SIMULATION IN EDUCATION FOR BUSINESS,         *
   *              MANAGEMENT, AND MIS                  *
   *                                                   *
   *       1992  SCS  WESTERN MULTICONFERENCE          *
   *     JANUARY 20-22, 1992  NEWPORT BEACH, CA.       *
   *                                                   *

   SCS SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT AND CALL FOR PAPERS:
   This conference will focus on using simulation
   in Business, Management and MIS education, and
   on teaching of simulation to college students.

   Possible topic areas include:

   1. Using Simulation for education and training.

   - Design and use of training environments using simulation.
   - Testing and validation of simulation based software.
   - Effectiveness of simulation based Training.
   - Applications of simulations for corporate training.
   - Applications of simulations for college level education.
   - Specific Application Areas of Interest
       -- Business Policy and Strategy
       -- Planning and Decision Support
       -- Operations and Control
       -- Information Systems Support
       -- Product Development and Marketing

   2. Teaching Simulation - Programming, Application, Data Analysis

      - Comparison and Demonstration of Simulation Languages
      - Pedagogical Considerations
      - Innovative Education
      - Cases for Classroom Simulation
      - Suggestions for Data Analysis and Presentation

 TUTORIALS AND PANELS ON THE ABOVE AREAS OF INTEREST

      - Curriculum Design Considerations
      - A Discussion of Methods and Languages
      - A Discussion of Texts and Software
      - A Discussion of Available Simulation
           based Training Software
      - Sources of Funding for Research and Development

   *                                                   *
       to work from,  I would very thankful if you
       could pass along the word and/or send names
       and E-mail addresses for anyone you know who
       might want to participate.
       We will be trying to generate interest among
       faculty in colleges of business,  professionals
       involved in corporate training, and  faculty
       in Industrial Engineering programs.

Tentative Schedule:  April 1, 1991  - Identify Session Chairs
                     July  1,       - Abstracts/Papers Due
                     Aug   1,       - Notification
                     Oct  15,       - Camera Ready Papers Due

   Thanks,  _Bob Roberts

   RROBERTS@NMSUVM1.BITNET
   RROBERTS@NMSU.EDU
   Department of Accounting and BCS
   New Mexico State University
   Box 30001  Dept 3DH
   Las Cruces,  NM  88003
   (505)  646-4903

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 7 Mar 91 13:23:44 -0500
From: "Paul Fishwick" <fishwick@fish.cis.ufl.edu>
To: simulation@ufl.edu
Subject: BIKINI back up!

If any of you tried to FTP to the machine BIKINI, you noticed that it has
been inaccessible for a couple of days -- this was due to a bad disk that
had to be replaced. Everything is back up now and operating normally thanks
to our system staff.

 -paul f.

 | Prof. Paul A. Fishwick.............. INTERNET: fishwick@fish.cis.ufl.edu|
 | Complex Systems and Simulation Group UUCP: gatech!uflorida!fishwick     |
 | Dept. of Computer Science........... PHONE: (904) 392-1414              |
 | University of Florida............... FAX: (904) 392-1220                |
 | Bldg. CSE, Room 301.................                                    |
 | Gainesville, FL 32611...............                                    |

END OF SIMULATION DIGEST