[comp.simulation] SIMULATION DIGEST V21 N3

simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu (Moderator: Paul Fishwick) (04/04/91)

Volume: 21, Issue: 3, Wed Apr  3 16:46:47 EST 1991

+----------------+
| TODAY'S TOPICS |
+----------------+

(1) Simulating Mechanical Systems
(2) 2nd Symposium on Behavioral Representation
(3) Input Distributions
(4) WANTED: Info. on Virtual Reality
(5) Looking for E-DIF Tools
(6) DIS Multicast Workshop
(7) Looking for a Computer Network Simulator
(8) Seeking MODSIM Users in Europe

* Moderator: Paul Fishwick, Univ. of Florida
* Send topical mail to: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu OR
  post to comp.simulation via USENET
* Archives available via FTP to bikini.cis.ufl.edu (128.227.224.1).
  Login as 'ftp', use your last name as the password, change
  directory to pub/simdigest. Do 'type binary' before any file xfers.
* Simulation Tools available by doing above and changing the
  directory to pub/simdigest/tools.

Newsgroups: comp.simulation
From: think!simons@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU (Joshua Simons)
Subject: Request for References
Sender: think!news@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 91 13:26:48 GMT
Apparently-To: bloom-beacon!comp-simulation

I am interested in simulating a mechanical system, but I don't
have any good books on the subject of simulating analog systems.
If you know of any such books, please send me a reference. I will
send a summary of the results to this list.

[[EDITOR: You might want to try out "Interactive Dynamic System
Simulation" by Granino Korn, McGraw Hill, 1989 -PAF]]

Thank you!

 -josh simons

PS: I am not looking for books about simulation packages. I am
    more interested in books that cover the mathematics of simulating
    analog systems (with an emphasis on doing the simulation on a
    digital computer).
 --
simons@think.com
thinking machines corporation

------------------------------

Newsgroups: comp.simulation
From: vanb@eola.cs.ucf.edu (David Van Brackle)
Subject: Behavioral Representation Symposium
Sender: news@osceola.cs.ucf.edu (News sysetm)
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 91 20:22:41 GMT
Apparently-To: uunet!comp-simulation

* * *  Announcing the Second Symposium on Behavioral Representation  * * *

PM Trade and the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) will
conduct the Second Symposium on Behavioral Representation (BR) for
Computer Generated Forces (CGF) on 6 and 7 May 1991 at the University of
Central Florida (UCF) in Orlando, Florida. The symposium will be hosted by
the University of Central Florida Institute for Simulation and Training (IST)
on behalf of PM-TRADE/DARPA. The purpose of the symposium will be:
  - to review a proposed definition of BR in its component elements;
  - to identify research gaps in the component elements of BR;
  - to provide a forum to exchange information on BR and modeling research,
      and its relevance to CGF technology;
  - and to present upcoming research programs and opportunities relating
      to BR and CGF.

Examples of research topics covered by this symposium include:
  - Autonomous Agent modeling
  - Agent Representation
  - and Training Developer Specifications for Automated Forces in Distributed
      Battlefield Simulation

IST Technical Report (IST-TR-90-15) of 15 Aug 1990 titled A TESTBED FOR
AUTOMATED ENTITY GENERATION IN DISTRIBUTED INTERACTIVE SIMULATION,
paragraph 1.5 describes the components of a CGF. This report was distributed
at the Initial BR Symposium of 24 and 25 Oct 1990 at Fort Knox, KY.
An electronic copy of this report has been placed on the IST bulletin board
system. Please call (407) 658-5077 to access this system.

A call for papers on these topics has been issued to those who attended the
Initial BR Symposium. A limited number of papers have also been invited for
presentation. The BR Symposium will be organized to provide an opportunity for
attendees to participate in discussions of Uniformed Service User Needs,
Systems Issues, and Technical presentations on the Components of a CGF.

Interested parties should contact:

Mr. Daniel Mullally
Institute for Simulation and Training
University of Central Florida
12424 Research Parkway
Orlando, FL  32826
(407) 658-5023 or (407) 658-5000
E-Mail: dmullaly@ucf1vm.cc.ucf.edu

------------------------------

To: comp-simulation@rutgers.edu
From: faatcrl!krishnav@gvlv2.gvl.unisys.com (krishnav)
Newsgroups: comp.simulation
Subject: Input analysis - Discrete event simulation - question
Date: 28 Mar 91 21:24:38 GMT

Hi

 I'm doing some discrete event simulation.  I know that my
interarrival times are exponential.  I have a huge data and when I fit them
to different distributions, I'm not satisfied with any particular distribution
as they do not show the peak distribution of packets and off peak distribution
of packets.  I was able to dynamically change the interarrival times of these
data packets during simulation and was able to generate almost the same shape,
showing peak and off peak points.  It turned out to be the inverse of the
volumes for each hour.  (I have hourly data). Is it statistically acceptable
to inverse the volumes for each hour and distribute them exponentially to get
the volume and the pattern I need ?  Any help would be greatly
appreciated.  Please reply to my personal address also. (our netnews is
flaky !!)

Thanks

 -Krishna

Krishna Veeraghanta    Staff Engineer  Computer Technologies Assoc.Inc
Internet : krishnav@pilot.njin.net          Voice:W:(609)-484-4812/6700
UUCP: .....rutgers!faatcrl!krishnav               R:(609)-926-9529

------------------------------

To: comp-simulation@cis.ohio-state.edu
From: mryman@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu (Mark Ryman)
Newsgroups: comp.simulation
Subject: virtual reality info?
Date: 29 Mar 91 19:04:37 GMT

I have recently chosen virtual reality as my topic for a research paper. However
I have not exactly been running into an overabundance of information while
digging around in the library here at O.U. The paper is for a Junior Composition
English course and my target audience is the rest of the class, therefore, I
need to try to keep the terminology somewhat basic and easy to understand.
So far the best material I've found is the OMNI interview with Jaron Lanier
and a couple short articles in New Scientist magazine.  If anyone out there
could help point me in the direction of more sources, or possibly e-mail some-
thing you have on this topic, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

                                                          -Mark Ryman

------------------------------

To: comp-simulation@uunet.uu.net
From: heb@regent.e-technik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Herbert Bauer)
Newsgroups: comp.simulation
Subject: Looking for EDIF-Tools
Date: 2 Apr 91 11:27:15 GMT
Sender: news@reseq.regent.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de

Hi everybody!

I'm looking for EDIF-Tools, especially a parser or an interpreter.
The reason is that I would like to be able to handle EDIF netlists
with our simulation system.
Does anybody know of an e-mail adress of the EDIF User Group
in Arizona?
I've heard that UC Berkeley has some EDIF tools as public domain
software. Does anybody know of an file-server (preferable anonymous
ftp) where to obtain such software?

Thanks,

    Herbert

heb@regent.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de

| Herbert Bauer    (heb@regent.e-technik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de) |

------------------------------

Date:         Tue, 02 Apr 91 09:09:08 EDT
From: BRUCE MCDONALD <MCDONALD@ucf1vm.cc.ucf.edu>
Subject:      DIS Multicast Workshop
To: Paul Fishwick <fishwick@cis.ufl.edu>

                            WORKSHOP
                          ANNOUNCEMENT

PURPOSE:  -    to initiate a U.S. program in multipeer/multicast
          -    to provide a bridge to the international
               standardization communities
          -    to begin work on the long-standing NATO requirement
          -    to effectively articulate the distributed
               interactive simulation (DIS) requirement for
               multipeer/multicast

TIME AND DATE: From 8:00 AM on 6 August
               to 4:00 PM on 8 August 1991.

PLACE:         University of Central Florida, Orlando, Florida

HOST:          U.S. Army Project Manager For Training Devices,
               and the University of Central Florida
               Institute for Simulation and Training

PT OF CONTACT: UCF Institute for Simulation and Training
               Research Pavilion, Suite 300
               12424 Research Parkway
               Orlando, Florida 32826

               Attention: Margaret Loper
               Phone (407)658-5517      Fax -5059

PARTICIPATION: Is expected and invited from ANSI, CCITT, IEEE,
               IEC/ISO, ISA, NATO, and Government organizations
               with technical background in, and an understanding
               of multicast and a requirement for its use.

RESERVATIONS:  Rooms have been reserved for meeting participants
               and are being held until 15 July 1991 under the
               block name "UCF Multicast" at the Holiday Inn,
               University of Central Florida, 12125 High Tech
               Avenue, Orlando, Florida 32817.  Reservations can
               be made by calling (407)275-9000 and referencing
               the block name.

DIRECTIONS:    From the Orlando International Airport, take the
               airport exit road to the Bee Line (Toll Road) going
               East toward the Kennedy Space Center, Cape
               Canaveral; exit onto the Northern Beltway and
               proceed north through the toll booth ($0.75) to
               East-West Expressway exit, EASTBOUND; proceed east
               on the East-West Expressway through the toll booth
               ($0.75) to the Alafaya Trail exit; take this exit
               and at the light turn left (north) onto Alafaya
               Trail toward the University of Central Florida.  At
               left turn onto University Drive and then an
               immediate right onto High Tech Drive and the
               Holiday Inn.
                            WORKSHOP

                         WORKSHOP FORMAT

AUGUST 6

     8:00 AM - 9:00 AM:  Registration and breakout session
                         selection
     9:00 AM - 11:45 AM: Plenary with invited speakers to
                         provide background information on
                         following topics:
          9:00 AM - 10:00 AM:
                         -multicast standards activities
                         -multicast instantiations
          10:00 AM - 10:15 AM:  Break
          10:15 AM - 11:15 AM:
                         -multicast network implementations
                         -distributed interactive simulation
          11:15 AM - 11:45 AM:
                         -expectations from workshop breakout
                         sessions and introduction to session
                         chairs
     11:45 AM -  1:00 PM: Lunch
      1:00 PM -  5:00 PM: Breakout Sessions
      5:00 PM -  6:00 PM: Chairpersons coordination meeting

AUGUST 7

      8:00 AM -  5:00 PM: Breakout Sessions
                          (activities structured by Chairs)
      5:00 PM -  6:00 PM: Chairpersons coordination meeting

AUGUST 8

      8:00 AM - 10:00 AM: Breakout Sessions
                          (activities structured by Chairs)
     10:00 AM:            Breakout sessions products delivered for
                          duplication and view-graph production
     10:00 AM - 12:00 AM: Break and Lunch
     12:00 AM -  4:00 PM: Plenary - distribution of breakout
                          products
                          -session chair presentations
                          -workshop adjournment

------------------------------

Newsgroups: comp.simulation
From: clausco@CS.UCLA.EDU (Claus R. Cooper)
Subject: Wanted: a computer network simulator
Originator: clausco@oahu.cs.ucla.edu
Sender: usenet@CS.UCLA.EDU (Mr. News Himself)
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 91 01:04:13 GMT
Apparently-To: comp-simulation@uunet.uu.net

I am looking for a production-quality computer network simulator.  I work
for a company that is interested in licensing such a simulator for
incorporation into its product.

The simulator should be readily portable to different hardware platforms.

Please send email to: clausco@cs.ucla.edu

	Claus Cooper
	clausco@cs.ucla.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 3 Apr 91 10:21:57 +0200
From: divia%vxdcj1.cern.ch@nervm.nerdc.ufl.edu (Roberto Divi` - CERN ECP/DS (Tel 4994, 2663,
 13+5587))
To: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu
Cc: divia@dxmint.cern.ch
Subject: Seeking MODSIM users in Europe for pricing comparisons

Dear Netlanders,
  CERN - European Laboratory for Particle Physics - is currently  evaluating
different simulation tools for its  future developments. We  have been quite
impressed by the capabilities offered by  MODSIM, but not by  its price. The
licence is EXTREMELY espensive compared to other similar commercial products.
We would  like to  know if MODSIM  is used by other European  centers and at
which conditions.

Thanks in advance...

|   Roberto Divia`      | Love at  first sight  is one of the greatest |
|   =============       | labor-saving devices the world has ever seen |
|  CERN :  European Laboratory for Particle Physics,  1211  Geneva  23 |
|  Switzerland (CH)                                                    |

END OF SIMULATION DIGEST