[comp.simulation] SIMULATION DIGEST V21 N4

simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu (Moderator: Paul Fishwick) (04/10/91)

Volume: 21, Issue: 4, Wed Apr 10 09:16:55 EDT 1991

+----------------+
| TODAY'S TOPICS |
+----------------+

(1) WANTED: VHDL Information
(2) WANTED: UNIX Simulation Software
(3) Simulating Tank Engines
(4) CALL: Workshop on Parallel and Distributed Simulation
(5) Virtual Worlds
(6) NEEDED: Text on Simulation

* Moderator: Paul Fishwick, Univ. of Florida
* Send topical mail to: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu OR
  post to comp.simulation via USENET
* Archives available via FTP to bikini.cis.ufl.edu (128.227.224.1).
  Login as 'ftp', use your last name as the password, change
  directory to pub/simdigest. Do 'type binary' before any file xfers.
* Simulation Tools available by doing above and changing the
  directory to pub/simdigest/tools.

To: uunet!comp-simulation@uunet.UU.NET
From: steve@titan.tsd.arlut.utexas.edu (Steve Glicker)
Newsgroups: comp.simulation
Subject: System level simulation with VHDL
Date: 3 Apr 91 21:22:40 GMT
Sender: news@titan.tsd.arlut.utexas.edu
To: comp-simulation@cs.utexas.edu

I am very interested in any work (papers or ongoing projects) on the
use of VHDL for system level descriptions, especially for the case in
which high level descriptions are translated into a set of functional
primitives.  My current leads include work under Dr. Jim Ayler at the
University of Virginia and a paper entitled "Translating System
Specifications to VHDL" in this years EDAC Proceedings (European
Design Automation Conference).  I just got these leads from
comp.lang.vhdl and have not followed up on them yet.  (I have posted
this request on comp.lang.vhdl as well).  I will summarize my finding
if there is interest.

[[EDITOR: For some information on the Pittsburgh VHDL simulator, read the
column "Simulation Network News" in the journal SIMULATION (most
recent issue) -PAF]]

 --
Steve Glicker
Applied Research Laboratories

------------------------------

Newsgroups: comp.simulation
From: ben@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Ben Fried)
Subject: Looking for Unix software for IE/Business simulation
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 1991 21:16:32 GMT
Apparently-To: comp-simulation@rutgers.edu

The subject pretty much says it all - I'm looking for Unix packages of
any sort that can do or help with Industrial Engineering or business
simulations - this is for someone who's currently using GPSS on an IBM
mainframe.

Thanks!

Ben
 --
Benjamin Fried
ben@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu				rutgers!columbia!ben

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 4 Apr 91 14:22:16 -0800
From: FLORA@HSSI.dnet.hac.com
To: cybsys-l@bingvmb.bitnet, ARPA::simulation@ufl.edu,
        ARPA::soft-eng@mwunix.mitre.org
Subject: Help! Sources for Tank Engine Simulation Wanted.

Help!

I am looking for information in regards to simulating tank engines. I'm
not really sure that this interest group is the proper place to ask?
Any suggestions on where I can obtain this information would be greatly
appreciated. Please respond by email since I do not currently subscribe to
this interest group.

Thanks in advance,

	Flora Shirazi-Fard
	email: flora@hssi.dnet.hac.com
	phone: (818) 915-9863

------------------------------

To: comp-simulation@uunet.UU.NET
From: abrams@abrams.cs.vt.edu (Marc Abrams)
Newsgroups: comp.simulation
Subject: CFP:  Parallel and Distributed Simulation (PADS92)
Date: 9 Apr 91 21:13:27 GMT
Expires: 1 August 1991
Sender: usenet@creatures.cs.vt.edu

                           Call For Papers
      6th Workshop on Parallel and Distributed Simulation (PADS)
               Jointly Sponsored by SCS, IEEE, and ACM
    20-22 January 1992 (part of the 1992 Western Multiconference)
                      Newport Beach, California

This is the oldest and longest running conference on parallel and
distributed simulation.  Topics of interest include, but are not
limited to:

     o  Techniques, algorithms, and systems for concurrent simulation
        (e.g., discrete, continuous, combined, real time, optimistic,
        conservative)

     o  Programming constructs and languages for concurrent simulation

     o  Performance evaluation of concurrent simulation algorithms and
        systems

     o  Special purpose parallel simulation (e.g., logic, cache
        simulations)

     o  Concurrent graphics and animation for simulation

     o  Relationship of concurrent simulation and computer
        architecture (e.g., SIMD, geographically distributed
        computing, tightly coupled multiprocessors)

     o  Case studies applying concurrent simulation techniques to
        production simulation software

                              Schedule:

1 July 1991:    Deadline for program chair to receive paper
                submissions (6 copies).  This date may precede the
                deadline line for the remainder of the Western
                Multiconference.  Any paper received after 1 July 1991
                risks rejection without consideration of its merits.

15 Sep. 1991:   Notification of acceptance

15 Oct. 1991:   Tentative deadline for camera ready copy

All submissions will be reviewed.  Paper acceptance is moderately
competitive; about half of last year's submissions were accepted.
Because the identity of authors and referees will not be revealed to
each other, authors' names and affiliations should appear only on the
cover sheet.  Bibliographic references should be modified so as not to
reveal the author's identity.

Papers must be in English.  Do not submit a paper that has been
submitted to (or has appeared in) any other conference or journal.  In
addition to regular papers (8 pages), the program committee may
accept additional papers either as short papers (4 pages) or for
inclusion in a poster session.  Poster abstracts will appear in the
proceedings.  Papers judged to be especially high in quality will be
forwarded for consideration by the ACM Transactions on Modeling and
Computer Simulation.

Submissions with a cover letter stating the name, address (postal and
electronic), and phone number of each author should be sent to Marc
Abrams, Program Chairman.

Marc Abrams, Program Chairman              Paul Reynolds, General Chairman
Department of Computer Science            Institute for Parallel Computation
       Virginia Tech                            University of Virginia
 Blacksburg, VA 24061-0106                     Charlottesville, VA 22903

      abrams@cs.vt.edu                       pfr@louisxiv.ipc.virginia.edu
   Voice:  (703) 231-8457                           (804) 924-1039
    Fax:  (703) 231-6075

                          Program Committee

 Rassul Ayani, Royal Inst. of Tech
 Doug DeGroot, Texas Instruments         Boris Lubachevsky, Bell Labs
 Richard Fujimoto, Georgia Tech          Vijay Madisetti, Georgia Tech
 David Jefferson, UCLA                   David Nicol, William & Mary
 Ron Kriz, Virginia Tech                 Peter Reiher, JPL
 Jason Lin, Bellcore                     David Wagner, Univ. of Colorado

Proceedings publisher: Society for Computer Simulation (SCS)
 --
Marc Abrams
(Asst. Prof.)

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 9 Apr 1991 23:37:57 MST
From: "zazula@uazhe0.physics.arizona.edu"@Arizona.EDU
Subject: INFO WANTED
To: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu

Newsgroups: comp.simulation
From: zazula@uazhe0.physics.arizona.edu (RALPH ZAZULA)
Date: 9 APR 91 23:33:09
News-Software: VAX/VMS VNEWS 1.3-4   Lines: 19

Hi!

I'd like to get some information on who is doing research in the area
of virtual worlds (as I've seen them referred to in this group).  I'm thinking
of things like: real-time 3D audio/video, tracking of a subject to position
him/her in a computer generated environment.   Pointers to discussion
groups, literature, real-people... would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ralph

   | Ralph Zazula                               "Computer Addict!"        |
   | University of Arizona                 ---  Department of Physics     |
   |   UAZHEP::ZAZULA                            (DecNet/HEPNet)          |
   |   zazula@uazhe0.physics.arizona.edu         (Internet)               |
   |   "You can twist perceptions, reality won't budge."  - Neil Peart    |

------------------------------

Newsgroups: comp.simulation
From: overeind@fwi.uva.nl (Benno Overeinder)
Subject: Wanted: Book for Modelling and Simulation Course
Sender: news@fwi.uva.nl
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 91 09:25:03 GMT
Apparently-To: comp-simulation@hp4nl.nluug.nl

I am searching for a book to support a graduate course on modelling and
simulation. This course has an interdisciplinary character; as well as
computer science students as biology, chemistry, and physics students are
supposed to attend.
Central questions are: how to construct a correct model and
		       how do I simulate this model?
		       (continuous, discrete, Monte Carlo, etc.)
I am familiar with the classical text on simulation theory, "Theory of
Modelling and Simulation" of Bernard Zeigler, but I am interested in the
opinion of other researchers in the field of simulation.
Has anyone suggestions or recommendations?
I will eventually post an annotated bibliography.
Thanks in advance,

 --Benno

| Benno Overeinder			| Computer Systems Department	     |
| 					| University of Amsterdam	     |
| e-mail: overeind@fwi.uva.nl		| Kruislaan 403, 1098 SJ  Amsterdam  |
| 					| The Netherlands	             |

END OF SIMULATION DIGEST