[comp.simulation] SIMULATION DIGEST V21 N5

simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu (Moderator: Paul Fishwick) (04/24/91)

Volume: 21, Issue: 5, Tue Apr 23 14:20:15 EDT 1991

+----------------+
| TODAY'S TOPICS |
+----------------+

(1) WANTED: Source Code for Distributed Simulation Example
(2) BOOK: Continuous System Modeling
(3) Combined Discrete/Continuous Methods
(4) Dynamic Simulation
(5) BOOK: Simulation and Statistics
(6) PROGRAM: Neural Nets in Systems, Control, Vision and Genetics

* Moderator: Paul Fishwick, Univ. of Florida
* Send topical mail to: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu OR
  post to comp.simulation via USENET
* Archives available via FTP to bikini.cis.ufl.edu (128.227.224.1).
  Login as 'ftp', use your last name as the password, change
  directory to pub/simdigest. Do 'type binary' before any file xfers.
* Simulation Tools available by doing above and changing the
  directory to pub/simdigest/tools.

To: uunet!comp-simulation@uunet.UU.NET
From: dcook@neuron.tamu.edu (David A Cook tcsh)
Newsgroups: comp.simulation
Subject: Distributed Simulation
Date: 10 Apr 91 16:42:18 GMT
Sender: usenet@TAMU.EDU
To: comp-simulation@cs.utexas.edu

I am looking for the source code for a simple distributed simulation
example.  I am working on my dissertation, and want to port a simple
example to my system here, run it, and then modify it to a different
type of message passing.

Anybody out there got any, or know where I can find some?

Thanks.

David A. Cook

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 10 Apr 1991 18:16:48 MDT
From: CELLIER@ECEVAX.ECE.ARIZONA.EDU
Subject: Book Announcement ... book will be out in early May
To: Fishwick@Fish.CIS.UFL.Edu

        Announcing a systematic, broad-based approach for engineers,
                  scientists, and applied mathematicians -

              F. E. Cellier, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ

                         CONTINUOUS SYSTEM MODELING

Modeling and simulation have become indispensable design tools since they
permit us to predict the behavior of a system before it is actually built.
In fact, modeling and simulation are the only techniques available that
allow us to analyze arbitrarily nonlinear systems accurately and under varying
experimental conditions.

Cellier's CONTINUOUS SYSTEM MODELING introduces students to an important
subclass of modeling.  It deals with the modeling of systems described by a set
of ordinary or partial differential equations or difference equations.
Simulation will be treated in a later volume.

Cellier's aim in this first book is to provide students and teachers with a
unified framework for the methodology of modeling nonlinear systems described
by differential and difference equations.  It introduces many of the major
modeling techniques and software tools which support the modeling of any
continuous system.  The coverage culminates by addressing the modeling of the
process of modeling itself, i.e., how can this process be formulated and
formalized for implementation by artificial-intelligence methods such as
neural networks.

Because modeling is used in many branches of the hard and soft sciences, a
diversity of terminologies and application-specific jargon has proliferated.
This book attempts to unify the entire area by explaining the similarities and
dissimilarities between various techniques and by creating a common toolbox
using a common terminology.

The text has the flavor of the mathematical discipline of dynamical systems and
is strongly oriented toward Newtonian physical science with the concepts of mass
and energy and the laws of thermodynamics central to the discussion.  It
provides detailed coverage of modeling techniques such as bond graphs and system
dynamics, and various software tools such as DYMOLA and STELLA.

Each chapter of this senior and graduate-level text is fully complemented with a
summary, references, homework problems, and suggestions for projects and
research.  Professor Cellier will make available a solutions manual with
accompanying brief tutorial on a 5 1/4 in. diskette.

CONTENTS: Preface.  1. Introduction, Scope, Definitions.  2. Basic Principles
of Continuous System Modeling.  3. Principles of Passive Electrical Circuit
Modeling.  4. Principles of Planar Mechanical System Modeling.  5. Hierarchical
Modular Modeling of Continuous Systems.  6. Principles of Active Electrical
Circuit Modeling.  7. Bond Graph Modeling.  8. Modeling Non-Equilibrium
Thermodynamics.  9. Modeling Chemical Reaction Kinetics.  10. Population
Dynamics Modeling.  11. System Dynamics.  12. Naive Physics.  13. Inductive
Reasoning.  14.  Artificial Neural Networks and Genetic Algorithms.
15. Automated Model Synthesis.

1991/755 pp., 288 illus./Hardcover/$69.50
ISBN 0-387-97502-0

                    APPROVAL COPY REQUEST/ORDER FORM

Yes, please send me:
_____ copy(ies) of CONTINUOUS SYSTEM MODELING, F.E. Cellier/97502-0/$69.50

[ ] Approval Copy
Course Title______________________________________________________________
Starting Date____________________________________Enrollment_______________

Text Decision Date________________________________________________________

Text Now in Use___________________________________________________________

[ ] Purchased Copy
CALL TOLL FREE: 1-800-SPRINGE(R) [1-800-777-4643]
           in NJ, 201-348-4033 [9am to 4:30pm EST]
[NY, NJ, MA, and CA residents, please add sales tax.  Canadian residents please
add 7% GST.  Prepayment required from individuals.  Please add $2.50 for
shipping.]

TOTAL ENCLOSED:____________________

PAYMENT:
[ ] Check   Credit Card: [ ] VISA  [ ] MC  [ ] AMEX  [ ] DISCOVER
Card Number:________________________________________Exp. Date:____________
Signature:__________________________________________Date:_________________

(Personal checks and money orders are also acceptable.)

Name:_____________________________________________________________________
Address___________________________________________________________________
City/State/Zip____________________________________________________________

30-DAY APPROVAL POLICY

I understand that the text I have requested for examination will be send to me
on a 30-day approval basis.  If I decide to adopt, I will return the invoice and
indicate the course, name of the bookstore ordering, and estimated order size.
At that time, the invoive charges will be cancelled.  Otherwise, I will either
purchase the copy or return it to cancel charges.

Signature_________________________________________________________________

Return to:
Springer-Verlag New York, Inc.
ATTN: Ken Quinn
175 Fifth Ave.
New York, NY 10010

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 11 Apr 91 15:23:24 +0200
From: Jean-Claude Pascal <jcp@droopy.laas.fr>
To: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu
Subject: Information wanted

hi --

The following question/inquiry might have been asked to this
group before, but as a new user I do not have any knowledge
of it. I will appreciate any information/help I can get.

I am looking for some information/references/book titles on modelling and
simulation of hybrid systems i.e. systems simultaneously combining
discrete and continuous aspects.

I'ld apreciate any information mailed to me, I'll post a summary
of them on the net.

Thank you very much in advance.

Jean-Claude Pascal LAAS-CNRS, Toulouse, France
my e-mail address: jcp@laas.laas.fr

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 11 Apr 91 10:08:52 -0600
From: kma%nil@hellgate.utah.edu (Kwan-Liu Ma)
Subject: "dynamic" simulation
To: comp-simulation@hellgate.utah.edu

Hi,

   I am interested in knowing if there is existing work or
project under way targeting on "dynamic" simulation.
Here "dynamic" means the ability to control `almost' all levels
of your simulation.  In fact, in my world, we call it "steering"
computations instead of dynamic simulation. I am particularly working
on scientific applications.

   The ability to steer your computations requires:
ways to monitor your simulation states -> graphics (visualization!)
ways to dynamically modify simulation parameters;
    For example, in the simulation of thunderstorm, one might
    want to modify wind speed, etc.
and others.  One advantage of steering is you don't have to restart
your simulation every time when some simulation parameters must be
changed. Apparently, there are many other advantages  ...

   If you know of any work or projects somewhat related to what I am
talking about here, please let me know via email. Or if you would like
to discuss this subject with me, also send email to kma@nil.utah.edu.
I will post a summary if there is interesting discussion or information.

PS: Ohio Supercomputer Center has done some related work!!

   Kwan-Liu Ma
   Computer Science
   University of Utah
   kma@nil.utah.edu
   (801) 581 - 6678

------------------------------

From:   KUBVX1::KLEIJNEN     "Jack Kleijnen, Tilburg, Netherlands"  6-MAR-1991
To:     IN%"JSWAIN@umiami.IR.Miami.EDU"
CC:     KLEIJNEN
Subj:   RE: e-mail directory

"Simulation and Statistics: an Introduction" by
Jack P.C. Kleijnen & Willem J.H. van Groenendaal

>From the Preface:

This book is meant for those readers who wish to acquire a basic know-
ledge of simulation. It gives a survey of problems that can be ana-
lyzed by means of simulation, especially problems in economics, busi-
ness administration, management science, operations research, and
mathematical statistics. It also shows how to analyse simulation re-
sults. This analysis makes it possible to obtain more general conclu-
sions, when using simulation. Moreover, the efficient design of simu-
lation experiments is discussed. For all these topics there is specia-
lized literature, but this literature is often too difficult for the
novice. After reading this book, however, the specialized literature
becomes accessible. Thus this book prepares the readers for the appli-
cation of the simulation technique in practice. Therefore the problems
and pitfalls of practical applications are outlined. Understanding the
examples discussed in this book, requires a basic knowledge of busi-
ness administration and operations research. Understanding the tech-
niques presented in this book, requires knowledge of elementary com-
puter science, mathematics, and statistics.

Hasty readers might skip some chapters. Chapter 2 evaluates pseudo-
random number generators. Practitioners, however, often rely on the
generator implemented on the available computer. Chapter 3 shows how
pseudo-random numbers are transformed in order to sample from statis-
tical distributions such as the normal and the Poisson distributions.
In practice, there are  subroutines for sampling from classic distri-
butions. So hasty readers might skip chapters 2 and 3. Chapter 4 is
important for readers interested in economic and business applica-
tions. This chapter also covers Forrester's Industrial Dynamics or
System Dynamics. Chapter 5 covers classic Operations Research applica-
tions such as inventory and queuing systems. Chapter 6 presents com-
puter programs for more complicated queuing systems, and briefly dis-
cusses special simulation languages. Chapter 7 is an introduction to
the next chapters. It shows how simulation is applied in mathematical
statistics, for example to investigate the robustness of regression
analysis. The next two chapters set this book apart from other text-
books on simulation. Chapter 9 shows how statistical designs such as
2    designs can be applied to select the combinations of factors
(parameters and variables) to be simulated. The results of such expe-
riments are analyzed through Analysis Variance (ANOVA). Chapter 8,
however, presents ANOVA in the more familair terms of regression ana-
lysis. This leads to so-called metamodels, namely regression models of
the input/output behavior of simulation models. Because the specifica-
tion of the metamodel determines the experimental design, regression
models are presented before experimental designs; see the chapters 8
and 9. Chapter 10 answers the question: given the experimental design
of chapter 9, how long should the simulation program run? In other
words: how many years or how many customers should be simulated to
obtain accurate answers? To improve the accuracy this chapter also
gives a few variance reduction techniques, such as common and antithe-
tic random numbers. Finally, chapter 11 gives some information on
verification and validation of models; it also mentions literature
sources and professional societies in the simulation area.

This book is based on lecture notes that have been used for teaching
simulation to students in management science, starting more than twen-
ty years ago. The last few years this course has also been taught to
students in Information Systems and they have indeed been able follow
the statistical parts of this book. The simulation course is taught
during 13 sessions of 90 minutes each; so the course takes 19.5 lec-
ture hours in total. Besides this textbook there is a floppy disk with
a collection of examples and exercises in Pascal, which can be ordered
from the authors. These examples are used for demonstration purposes
during the lectures. The exercises on the floppy disk are to be solved
using some computer. These exercises closely follow the chapters of
the book. After doing the exercises, the reader should be ready to
start simulation projects in practice.

This text is an adaptation of a book originally published in Dutch
under the title "Simulatie: technieken en toepassingen", Academic
Service, Schoonhoven, 1988.

                                                Tilburg, January 1991
                                                J.P.C. Kleijnen
                                                W.J.H. van Groenendaal
Post Box 90153
5000 LE Tilburg
The Netherlands
Electronic mail: kleijnen@kub.nl
Phone: 013-662423
Fax: 013-663019

CONTENTS

Preface

Chapter 1       Introduction
        1.1     Some Applications
        1.2     Some Definitions
                References

Chapter 2       Random numbers
        2.1     Introduction
        2.2     Methods for generating random numbers
        2.3     Pseudorandom numbers
        2.3.1   Midsquare method
        2.3.2   Congruential method
        2.3.3   Additive congruential method
        2.3.4   Tausworthe generators
        2.3.5   Shuffling and hyperplanes
        2.4.    Statistical tests for pseudorandom numbers
        2.4.1   Frequency test
        2.4.2   Test on pairs (r , r   )
        2.4.3   Correlation test
        2.4.4   Run tests
        2.4.5   Gap test
        2.4.6   Poker test
        2.5     Practical computer usage
                References

Chapter 3       Sampling from non-uniform distributions
        3.1     "Table look up" method
        3.1.1   Geometric distribution
        3.2     Simulating the statistical process
        3.2.1   Hypergeometric distribution
        3.3     Inverse transformation method
        3.3.1   Exponential distribution
        3.3.2   Uniform distribution
        3.4     Distributions related to the exponential distribution
        3.4.1   Gamma, Erlang, chi-square and beta distributions
        3.4.2   Poisson distribution
        3.5     Normal distribution
        3.5.1   Central limit theorem
        3.5.2   Box-Muller method
        3.6     Rejection method
        3.6.1   Normal distribution
        3.7     Distributions related to the normal distribution
        3.7.1   Lognormal distribution
        3.7.2   Chi square distribution
        3.7.3   Student's t distribution
        3.7.4   F distribution
        3.8     Multivariate distributions
        3.8.1   Multivariate normal distribution
        3.9     Time series
        3.9.1   Linear autocorrelation function
        3.9.2   Exponential correlation function
        3.9.3   Arbitrary correlation function
        3.10    NAG routines
                References

Chapter 4       Economic and corporate models
        4.1     Macro-economic models
        4.1.1   Klein's model
        4.1.2   General macro-economic models: simultaneous equations
        4.1.3   General macro-economic models: noise
        4.2     Meso-economic models
        4.2.1   Cobweb models
        4.3     Micro-economic models
        4.4     Micro-simulation
        4.5     Corporate models
        4.5.1   Example: Anheuser-Busch model
        4.6     Risk analysis
        4.7     System Dynamics
        4.7.1   Mathematical formulation
        4.7.2   Applications
                References

Chapter 5       Operations Research models
        5.1     Time
        5.2     Inventory models
        5.3     Queuing models
        5.3.1   Single server
        5.3.2   Parallel servers
        5.3.3   Repairmen model
        5.3.4   Servers in sequence
                Appendix: Analytic solution of M/M/n
                References

Chapter 6       Simulation packages and languages
        6.1     Simulation package for parallel servers
        6.1.1   System components and organization
        6.1.2   System states
        6.1.3   Synchronization of server and transaction states
        6.1.4   Data structures
        6.2     Simulation languages
                References

Chapter 7       Statistical applications
        7.1     Regression analysis
        7.2     Ordinary Least Squares (OLS)
        7.3     Estimated Weighted Least Squares (EWLS)
        7.4     Corrected Least Squares (CLS)
        7.5     Monte Carlo study of EWLS and CLS
        7.5.1   Verification of computer program
        7.5.2   Asymptotic covariances in EWLS
        7.5.3   Relative efficiency of EWLS and CLS
        7.5.4   Confidence intervals in EWLS and CLS
                References

Chapter 8       Regression metamodels
        8.1     Metamodel concept
        8.2     Regression data
        8.3     Least squares
        8.4     Validation of metamodels
        8.4.1   Cross-validation
        8.5     Detailed example of metamodeling: M/M/s
        8.6     Interactions
        8.6.1   FMS example
                References

Chapter 9       Experimental Design
        9.1.    Classic experimental designs
        9.1.1   One factor at a time
        9.1.2   Full factorial designs
        9.1.3   Incomplete factorial designs
        9.2     Screening
        9.3     Optimization: response surface methodology
        9.3.1   Case study
        9.4     Replications, and scaling effects
                References

Chapter 10      Tactical aspects
        10.1    Terminating models
        10.2    Non-terminating, steady-state models
        10.2.1  Nearly independent subruns: batching
        10.2.2  Renewal analysis
        10.3    Percentiles and quantiles
        10.4    Variance reduction techniques
        10.4.1 Common random numbers
        10.4.2 Antithetics
        10.5    Jackknifing
                References

Chapter 11      Epilogue
        11.1    Verification and validation
        11.2    Further study
                References

------------------------------

Newsgroups: comp.simulation,comp.announce.conferences,comp.theory.dynamic-sys
From: rswiniar%saturn@ucselx.sdsu.edu (Dr. Roman Swiniarski)
Subject: Neural Networks Conference
Originator: rswiniar@saturn.sdsu.edu
Sender: news@ucselx.sdsu.edu (News Admin)
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 91 20:39:29 GMT
Apparently-To: comp-simulation@ucsd.edu

       THE FIRST INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON

``NEURAL NETWORKS IN SYSTEMS, CONTROL, VISION AND GENETICS''
      (Organized by AMSE and San Diego State University)

             San Diego, 29-31 May, 1991
       Howard Johnson Hotel, San Diego Down Town,
1430 Seventh Street, San Diego, CA 92101, tel (619) 6960911. Fax. (619) 2349416

SCIENTIFIC PROGRAM

Communications are separated into 9 Groups, each corresponding to
one Session:
 Methodology   1- Architectures
               2- Learning Algorithms
 Applications  3- Signal and Data Processing
               4- Patterns and Vision
               5- Speech, Text and Image Recognition
               6- System Analysis, Design and Inspections
               7- Control and Robotics
               8- Specific Applications
 Miscellaneous 9- Other Methods and Results

REGISTRATION

TUESDAY, May 28, 1991, 7:30-8:30 p.m. and WEDNESDAY May 29, 1991
         8:30-9:15 a.m.: Reception of participants and  registration.

WEDNESDAY, May 29, 1991

Inaugural Session  9:15-10:30

Opening Addresses:

 Professor Guy Masnard, President of AMSE (France) - Opening
 Professor Donald Short, Dean of Faculty of Science SDSU - Inaugural Address
 Roman Swiniarski, SDSU - Chairman of the International Program Committee:
                          Scientific Program of  the Conference

l 1- Inaugural Invited Lecture:

 9:30-10:30 Professor Robert Hecht-Nielsen (University of California
           at San Diego, and HNC Neurocomputers, San Diego)
 ``Neural Computing Technology: A Status Report''

Coffee break 10:30-10:45

10:45-12:30 Plenary Session Invited Lectures:

 l 2- P. K. Simpson (General Dynamic Electronic Division, San Diego)
 ``Neural Networks and Fuzzy Systems''

 l 3- Professor Peter Salamon (San Diego State University USA)
 "The ensemble oracle".

Wednesday Afternoon Plenary Session
 2:15 - 4:00  p.m. Invited Lectures

 l 4- Professor K. Lars Hansen (Electronic Institute
      The Technical University of Denmark (Denmark)
 "Self-repair in Neural Network Ensembles".

 l 5- Dr. Y. T. Zhou (HNC Neurocomputers, San Diego)
 Neural Methods for Computer Vision Problems.

 4:00-4:15 Coffee break

 4:15 p.m. Communications of Group 1: Neural networks Architectures

THURSDAY, May 30, 1991 Two parallel Sessions:

 8:30 a.m.    Group 4                      Group 7
      Coffee break at 10:30 a.m.

 2:00 p.m.    Group 2                      Group 9
      Coffee break at 4:00 p.m.

Dinner Party.

FRIDAY, May 31, 1991 Two parallel Sessions:

 8:30 a.m.    Group 5                      Group 8
      Coffee break at 10:30 a.m.

 2:00 p.m.    Group 3                      Group 6
      Coffee break at 4:00 p.m.

 Conclusion of Conference. Closing Address.

SESSIONS

   In each Session the papers will be presented according to their
number given in the ``Detailed List of Accepted Communications'',
unless otherwise specified by the Chairmen to have more homogeneous Sessions.
The speakers are invited to contact the Chairmen at the beginning of the
Session.
The duration of the presentations will be decided by the Chairman according
to the numbers of effectively presented papers, but 30 minutes, including
the discussion, is the upper limit.

   Each Session will end with a General Panel Discussion about
the topics of the Session: contact the Chairmen if you wish to take an
active part in the discussion.

DETAILED LIST OF ACCEPTED COMMUNICATIONS
(This list does not include  the additional late 40 papers  that will
be included soon.)

Group 1 ARCHITECTURES

1. D. ALEXANDRIS, S. WOLPERT, M.T. MUSAVI (USA)-
A VLSI implementations of a backpropagation neural network.

2. K. H. CHAN, M. T. MUSAVI (USA) -
A probabilistic neural network classifier.

3. S. MONDUTIANI, D. MANDUTIANI (Romania)-
Growing interconnection structure in neural network.

4. Z. WANG, C. DI MASSIMO (UK)-
A procedure for determining the canonical structure of feedforward
neural networks.

5. H. L. ZENG, J. B. YU (China)-
A new method for energy functions and dynamics of continuous neural
networks.

6.  Y. H. SHI, Z. Y. HE (China)-
A modified binary Hopfield neural network.

7. A. BULLER (Poland)-
Neural screen: toward unified symbolic/connectionist  knowledge processing.

8.  C. NICOLOPOULOS (USA) -
NEUGEN: A system for configuring neural network architectures.

9.  S. HUI, S. ZAK (USA)-
Stability analysis of cellular neural networks.

10. J. BUCKLEY, E. CZOGALA, T. SADOWSKI (USA  and Poland)-
Inversion of feedforward  multilayer neural networks.

Group 2 LEARNING ALGORITHMS

1.  K. FARRIS, M. T., MUSAVI, W. AHMED (USA)-
A clustering algorithm for implementation of RBF technique in neural networks.

2. M. ARNOLD, T. BAILEY, J. COWLES, J. CUPAL (USA)-
Implementing back propagation neural nets with logarithmic arithmetic.

3. P. SARATCHANDRAN (Singapore)-
Supervised learning via dynamic programming.

4.  S. L. YANG, Y. KE,  ZHONG WANG (China)-
A modified Polak-Ribiere learning algorithm.

5.  K. S. YI. W. Q. WU (China)-
A new learning algorithm of neural networks-Adjoint network learning algorithm.

6.  M. R. WALKER, L. A. AKERS (USA)-
Information refinement in unsupervised, implementation-constrained neural
neural networks.

7.  Y. AUTRET, B. SOLAIMAN (France)-
Defining sub-networks into the global neural network to
increase the learning speed.

8.  YANG X. H., PING HUE (China)-
The effect of using variable learning rate in backpropagation (BP) algorithm.

9.  SUN B. C., LIU X. H. (China)-
A fast self-organizing neural network.

10.  T. D. GEDEON, D. HARRIS (UK)-
Network reduction techniques.

11.  D. ZUCK (USA)-
Defining theoretical consistent and therefore usable
back-propagation neural net training data.

12. A. D. BACK, A.C. TSOI (Australia)-
An adaptive lattice algorithm for IIR multilayer perceptron.

13. H. B. JI (China)-
An investigation into the weighted learning scheme for autoassociative
neural networks.

14. W. ABU-SALAMEH, M. R.TOLUN (Turkey)-
Learning with extended backpropagation rule on different artificial neural
network topologies.

Group 3 SIGNALS AND DATA PROCESSING

1.  F. L. LUO, ZHEN BAO (China)-
Neural networks for recursive least squares algorithms.

2.  F. L. LUO, ZHEN BAO (China)-
Neural network approach to maximum likelihood.

3.  Z. K. YANG, Q. . YIN, L. H. ZOU (China  and  USA)-
Maximum likelihood direction estimating by neural network.

4.  V. WUWONGSE (Thailand)-
Neural network applied to identification of fuzzy membership function.

5.  H. KRISHNAMURTHY, N. BALAKRISHNAN (India)-
Neural network for aircraft identification and classification based on
radar returns.

6.  HWANG CHUNG, NING CHEN, J. H. PARK (USA)-
Recognition of pulse signals mixed in the time domain.

7.  TANG Y. Q., CAO J. H. YAO TANG (China)-
Self-organizing neural map application.

8.  Z. C. WANG, J. HANSON (Canada)-
A neural M-ary tree method for data compression.

9.  D. W. HU, Z. Z. WANG (China)-
Study on multi-layered neural network approximating any continuous function.

Group 4 PATTERNS AND VISION

1.  P. L. HE, D. Q. LIANG, Y. L. CAI (China)-
A neural network for windowed cepstrum filtering.

2. LUNG GUAN (Canada)-
Comparing different neural network architectures for
classifying X-ray imagery.

3. TAO WANG, X. L. XING (China)- Application of neural networks to
image segmentation.

4. HUANG SI JUN, KOH SOO NGEE, TANG HUENG KEI (Singapore)-
Comparing study of image data compression by neural networks and
conventional transform method.

5.  R. SWINIARSKI, M. BUTLER (USA)-
Application of neural networks to image filtering.

6.  Y. H. SHI, Z. Y. HE (China) -
A combinator of two binary Hopfield neural network for associative memory.

7. T. V. NGUEN, Y. F. CHANG, C. M. CHOU (USA)-
A tree search approach for pattern classification using Hopfield net.

8. L. THIAVILLE, P. PUGET, J. J. NIEZ (France)-
A neural network for motion computation.

9. P. Y. BURGI, T. PUN (Switzerland)-
Figure-group separation: Evidences for asynchronous processing in visual
perception?

10. S. T. ACTON, W. N. KLARQUIST (USA)-
Mean filed stereo correspondence.

11. M. B. ZAREMBA, E. PORADA (Canada) -
Dipole neural processing: theory and applications.

Group 5 SPEECH, TEXT a IMAGES RECOGNITION

1.  E. C. MERTZANIS (UK)-
Hierarchical volume data structure for position independent
pattern recognition.

2.  B. SALAIMAN, Y. AUTRET (France)-
Handwritten numerals recognition using combined syntactic and neural
network recognition methods.

3.  Y. F. CHEN, Y, H. ZHOU (China)-
An effective method of neural network for text recognition system.

4.  T. D. GEDEON, V. MITAL (UK)-
An adaptive learning network for information retrieval in a ligitation
support application.

5.  H. KABRE (France)-
A latteral inhibition neural network for continuous speech recognition.

6.  KIM KISEOK, HWANG HEEYEUNG (Korea)-
A study on the speech recognition of Korean phonemes
using modified recurrent  perceptron model.

7. M. LEUNG, A. M. PETERSON (USA)-
Multiple channel neural network model for texture
analysis.

8. A. LUK, S. H. LEUNG (Hong Kong)-
Effects of the numbers of hidden units on digit recognition.\vs\\

9. T. V. NGUEN, C. M. CHOU, Y. F. CHANG (USA)-
Multinetwork classifier for binary images.

10. M. Z. BLEYBERG, I. Y. ZAYAS, C. W. BLACK (USA)-
A neural network system for grain classification.

11. M. B. ZAREMBA, W. J. BOCK, E. PORADA (Canada)-
Recognition of measurement of optically detected physical variables
using interactional neural network.

12. S. M. BHANDARI, K. V. V. MURTHY, S. S. S. P. RAO (India)-
Artificial neural networks for character recognition.

Group 6 SYSTEMS ANALYSIS, DESIGN and INSPECTION

1.  J. G. XU, ZHONG WANG, YOUAN KE (China)-
An adaptive feedback neural network for system modeling.

2.  G. BOJADZIEV (Canada)-
Zone stabilization of pattern formation by neural networks of
chain type.

3.  O. CITCILOGLU, E. TURCKAN, S. SEKER (Turkey and Netherlands)-
Failure detection studies by layered neural network.

4. R. W. SWINIARSKI, T. ROGERS (USA)-
Neural recurrent state estimator of dynamic systems: neural Kalman
filtering.

5. M. H. MARZI, K. F. MARTIN (UK)-
Artificial neural network in condition monitoring
and fault diagnosis.

6.  A. BULSARI, A. MEDVEDEV, H. SAXEN (Finland)-
An algorithm for sensor fault detection using state vector estimator
and feed-forward neural networks applied to a biochemical process.

7.  D. R. SEIDL, R. D. LORENZ (USA)-
A structure by which a recurrent neural network can approximate
a nonlinear dynamic system.

8. Z. P. LO, B. BAVARIAN, C. R. TICC (USA)-
The multiple traveling salesman problem formulation with artificial
neural network and simulated annealing algorithms.

9. Z. P. LO, B. BAVARIAN (USA)-
Development of an intelligent multi-sensor fusion (IMSF) system.

Group 7 CONTROL AND ROBOTICS

1.  D. W. HU, Z. Z. WANG (China)-
Robot eye/hand system coordinated by neural network.

2. D. MANDUTIANU (Romania)-
A neural approach for mobile robot control.

3. R. W. SWINIARSKI (USA)-
Neural network application to self-tuning PID control based on relay
feedback and pattern recognition approach.

4. NING CHEN, HWANG CHUNG (USA)-
A neural network based real time robot path planner in known environment.
5. G. E. MOBUS, P. S. FISHER (USA)-
Conditioned response training of robot using Adaptrode-based neural
networks: I-Continuous adaptive learning.

6. G. E. MOBUS, P. S. FISHER (USA)-
Conditioned response training of robot using Adaptrode-based neural
networks: II- Simulation results.

7. D. Q.CHEN, F. Q.ZHOU (China)-
A neurally-based controller for target-tracking
sight control system.

8. YANG JUN, ZHOU F. Q. (China)-
The variable structure adaptive control using neural networks.

9. B. APOLONI (Italy)-
A  cooperative neural network endowed architecture for
model reference adaptive control.

10. J. G. FU, N. SINHA (Canada)-
Iterative learning control of robotics manipulators with neural networks.

11. LEEI GER, HSUNG CHEN (Canada)-
Direct neural network controller for dynamic nonlinear system.

Group 8 SPECIFIC APPLICATIONS

1. A. KOS (Poland)-
The multi-layer perceptron as a toll for hybrid circuits
topology design.

2. P. KOROHODA, A. KOS (Poland)-
A neural network for power circuits topology design.

3. F. PANETSOS, J. M. ZALDIVAR (Italy)-
Batch chemical reactors control using neural networks.

4. J. H. GE, Y. X. SUN (China)-
Identification of static model of chemical process
based on neural network.

5. R. W. SWINIARSKI, G. OCHS, D. WAAGEN (USA)-
Application of neural networks to human genome sequencing.

6. P. BOURRET, C. GASPIN (France)-
Prediction of RNAs secondary structures by Boltzman
machine.

7. O. V. BORISOVA, J. I. PETUNIN (USSRR)-
Mathematical modeling of synaptic transmission.

8. N. E. SONDAK, V. K. SONDAK (USA)-
A structured methodology for the construction of artificial neural network

9. M. MANDAL, A. K. MANDAL, A. K. NATH (India)-
Neural network models for the estimation of myocardial infraction size.

10. V. VENUGOPAL, T. T. MERENDRAN (India)-
Neural network approach for designing cellular manufacturing systems.

11. H. BOHR, R. GREENSTEIN, P. WOLYNES (USA)-
Neural network predicting surface structure of protein from
their sequence.

Group 9 OTHER METHODS AND RESULTS

1. M. RAMADAN, M. I. EL-SINGABY, N. N. SORIAL (Egypt)-
Zakian's error criteria with sensitivity constraint.

2. C. KRAWCZYK (Poland)-
Several variable interior functions.

3. T. GUNEL, B. YAZGAN (Turkey)-
A new optimization method based on simulated annealing algorithm.

4.  ZHA MING, LUO SIWEI, GE N. K. (China)-
A method of parallel processing for linear prediction of speech.

5.  M. B. ELABRI, M. DUFAUT, R. HUSSON (France)-
Map database construction and scene prediction for visual navigation.

6. J. FACON (Brazil)-
Translation clustering method based on optical flow.

7. J. L. FENG, QUIN ZHOU (China)-
Visualization of image texture information.

8. T. KRISHNAN (India)-
Imperfect supervision in statistical pattern recognition.

9. R. L. LIN, S. J. XU, F. M. SARGOS (France)-
Stability robustness analysis of dynamic interval systems.

10. K. KOLOWROCKI (Poland)-
Examples of asymptotics for nonhomogeneous parallel-series systems.

11. M. B. ELABRI, M. DUFAUT, R. HUSSON (France)-
Road edge detection for mobile robot navigation.
Study of the initial phase.

12. H. Al-KAID, H. C. BAR, K. AXTZRWEWITZY (Spain)-
On the design of asymptotic continuous-time output
proportional regulators with bang-bang gains.

13. G. BOJADZIEV, M. SAIF (Canada)-
Control of planar manipulators with uncertain masses.

14. J. ZAREBSKI (Poland)-
Analysis of electrical and thermal transients in electronic circuits.

15. YI H. J., ZENG R. S. (China)-
An optimal scheduling problem in a bus line.

16. B. L. KUCHIN, L. A. OVCHAROV (USSR)-
The optimal control of distribution systems with fuzzy initial
information.

ACCOMODATION

We have chosen to hold the Conference in a good and cheap Hotel.
We highly recommend to have also your bedroom in this Hotel.
The rate for the participants is  US $ 49 per night for
single or double room, including breakfast (including
the taxes, you to have pay US $53.41).
AMSE can book the room for you: you must send to AMSE a request
with whole amount included (and we must receive request before
May 1, 1991).

If not, you may contact and pay the Hotel by yourself:
Howard Johnson Hotel (San Diego Down Town), 1430 Seventh Ave,
San Diego, CA 92101, Fax 619-2349416, tel. 619-6960911
(indicate the Reference "AMSE Conference", John Tidwell).

CONFERENCE FEE

The Conference fee will include: Volume of the Summaries
of all accepted papers, the Volumes of the Conference Proceedings
including all the presented papers, possible publication
of the papers in original or revised form in
a special Monograph of the AMSE Series ``Neural Networks''
with a low subscription rate, the admission to the Dinner
Party on Thursday Evening.

Payment arrived before May 1, 1991: US $ 285
Payment arriving from May 1, 1991 or at the Conference Desk: US $ 320

Discounts: There is a discount of US $ 30 for students and if several
participants of the same Department register together.
Accompanying students or co-authors pay reduced fee of US $ 80
(without the Volumes).

Make payments in advance to the order of AMSE, make preferably a
Bank Transfer to'Discount bank and Trust Company, Geneve, Switzerland,
to credit 64373.
Participant working in France will pay in equivalent French Francs:
credit the AMSE Postal account 'Lyon, 2708-62 N'. ``Unesco Coupons''
sent to AMSE Office are also accepted.

The registration is possible during the Conference, but, for
better organization, we wish that all attendies mail in advance to
AMSE, 16 Avenue de Grange Blanche, 69160 Tassin-la-Demi-Lune, France,
Telex: 389000 (you must put at the beginning of the text the
AMSE code: A74595-AMSEMESNARD+), Tel. 33-78343604, Fax: 33-78345417

Chair of the International Program Committee
Roman Swiniarski
Department of Mathematical Sciences
San Diego State University
San Diego , CA 92182-0314, USA
e-mail:  rswiniar@ania.sdsu.edu
Tel: (619) 594-5538
Fax: 619-594-5642

PS. The conference title has been changed to
``Neural Networks: Mehodologies and Applications''.

END OF SIMULATION DIGEST