[comp.simulation] SIMULATION DIGEST V21 N9

simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu (Moderator: Paul Fishwick) (05/13/91)

Volume: 21, Issue: 9, Mon May 13 11:19:58 EDT 1991

+----------------+
| TODAY'S TOPICS |
+----------------+

(1) A Graphical Networked Object Simulation Environment
(2) CALL: Computer Network Simulation
(3) High Performance Computing Technical Committee
(4) Modelling Transactions
(5) RE: Network Analysis Help
(6) WANTED: Simulation of HDLs

* Moderator: Paul Fishwick, Univ. of Florida
* Send topical mail to: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu OR
  post to comp.simulation via USENET
* Archives available via FTP to bikini.cis.ufl.edu (128.227.224.1).
  Login as 'ftp', use your last name as the password, change
  directory to pub/simdigest. Do 'type binary' before any file xfers.
* Simulation Tools available by doing above and changing the
  directory to pub/simdigest/tools.

To: comp-simulation@munnari.oz.au
From: legg@ucs.adelaide.edu.au (Christian Legg)
Newsgroups: comp.simulation
Subject: A Graphical Networked Object Simulation Environment
Date: 9 May 91 07:25:59 GMT
Sender: legg@ucs.adelaide.edu.au

  Hello.

  Around August last year I posted a query to this group about the
availability of graphical simulation environments for use on Macintosh
computers. I was working on one myself, and was thankful for the replies
that I received and the information that they contained.

  Well, the program was finished and submitted as part of my honours degree,
which I have since completed (hooray!).

  For anyone interested, I have made the program available for anonymous
FTP. Details for this are :-

  machine : sirius.itd.adelaide.edu.au
  ip      : 129.127.40.3
  path    : /archive/PC/mac/goose12.sit.hqx

  The binhexed and stuffit-ed (1.5.1) file contains the application, a
comprehensive user manual (in Word 4 format) and a readme file (in text
format).

  The file is around 240k in length, thanks to many illustrations that I
placed into the user manual.

  If you do fetch a copy of Goose, all I ask is that you let me know where
you are and let me know of any suggestions and/or opinions that you have of
the program.

  Thanks again.

  christian legg
  legg@itd.adelaide.edu.au

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 9 May 1991 15:34 EDT
From: "ADEL S. ELMAGHRABY" <ASELMA01%ULKYVX.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: TCSIM  Call for papers + ...
To: simulation@ufl.edu

                        Simulation Digest

                         CALL FOR PAPERS

                          Special Issue

      Computer Network Simulation & Performance Evaluation

An issue of Simulation Digest will be devoted to the new
developments in Computer Network Simulation and Performance
Evaluation.  Papers are solicited in, but not limited to, the
following areas:

          Computer network simulation
          Performance measurement
          Interconnection network
          Hierarchical network
          Parallel computing
          Scheduling and positioning

Authors should submit papers to the Special Issue Editor:

          Dr. Anup Kumar
          Engineering Mathematics and Computer Science
          University of Louisville
          Louisville, Kentucky  40292
          Phone:  (502) 588-6304
          E-mail:  a0kuma01@ulkyvx.bitnet

Deadlines for submission of papers are:

          Three copies of the paper               July 1, 1991
          Notification of Acceptance              August 15, 1991
          Date of Publication                     October 1, 1991

Simulation Digest is a joint publication of the IEEE-CS and ACM.

I encourage all of you who are not currently members of the IEEE-CS Technical
Committee on Simulation (TCSIM) to join.

What do you get  ??
   - Belonging to a group of simular interests !
   - 3 regular issues of SIMULATION DIGEST (The printed Digest in addition to
     this electronic forum).
   - An annual special issue, usually Proceedings of The annual Simulation
     Symposium (this one is worth more than the dues).

How do you join ??
    - You need to be an IEEE-CS member, then your cost is only $ 15.00
    - Send your name, and IEEE-CS membership number with a check indicating
      your request to:
                         IEEE-CS
                         1730 Massachusetts Ave, NW
                         Washington, DC 20036-1903

Who are the members ? Who is envolved ?
  Members are simulationists like you. And it is mainly a volunteer operation.
We need your help and support. Volunteer and leadership list over the past
years includes :
Paul Fishwick (past chair), Mario Garzia, Ricardo Garzia, Sallie Sheppard,
Oryal Tanir, Bernard Zeigler, Heimo Adelsberger, ... and many others.

If you are interested but have some questions, concerns, or like to get more
involved, please send me a note.

             Adel S. Elmaghraby ( Current TCSIM Chair)

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 10 May 91 01:55:18 GMT
From: mcleod@Sdsc.Edu
Subject: Simulation Digest Announcement
To: fishwick@fish.cis.ufl.edu

                          ANNOUNCEMENT

   Formation of High Performance Computing Technical Committee

A meeting for the formation of the SCS High Performance Computing
Technical Committee will be held Tuesday, July 23, at 2:00 pm at
the Hyatt Regency Inner Harbor in Baltimore during the Summer
Computer Simulation Conference.
  The goal of the committee is to encourage the innovation in high
performance computing technologies and to stimulate the use of
these technologies in key areas of computer simulation.  The
committee will promote the exchange of ideas and information
between industry, government, and universities supporting the
development of High Performance Computing Simulations which can
provide solutions to current scientific and technical challenges.
  High performance computing refers to the full range of advanced
computing technologies, including large scale parallel systems,
special purpose and experimental systems and architectures, and
existing supercomputer systems.
  Individuals who are interested in participating in the high
performance computing committee activities but who do not plan to
attend the Summer Computer Simulation Conference are invited to
send a note describing their areas of interest to:

Dr. Adrian Tentner, Chairman       Society for Computer Simulation
High Performance Computing TC -OR- P.O. Box 17900
Argonne Nat'l Laboratories         SAn Diego, Ca 92177
9600 Cass Avenue                   MCLEOD@SDSC.BITNET
Argonne, IL 60439

  Individuals interested in receiving a copy of the preliminary
program of the 1991 Summer Computer Simulation Conference should
send a note or e-mail to the Society.

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 10 May 91 01:56:53 GMT
From: mcleod@Sdsc.Edu
Subject: Systems running under CICS
To: fishwick@fish.cis.ufl.edu

I'm looking for projects or references that have tried to model
the performance of transaction-oriented-software-systems, primarily
by discrete-event simulation.  Examples of the systems I'm
interested in are CICS (IBM) or, more specifically, any business
application software system running under CIS (e.g. on-line order
processing, sales, invoicing, bookkeeping, etc.)  A (first) major
performance characteristic  I'm looking for is the response time
from the viewpoint of the "typical" business user.  References and
other pointers to analytical performance models w.r.t. CICS would
also be welcomed.  Thanks for any and all help.  Prof. Dr. Werner
E. Helm, FB MN, Statistics & OR, Fachhochschule Darmstadt,
Schoefferstr. 3, D-6100 Darmstadt, Germany Phone: 061 51 16 86 51;
Fax: 49 6151 168900.

------------------------------

To: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu
Subject: Re:Network Analysis help request
Date: Fri, 10 May 91 09:41:47 -0400
From: "Paul A. Schragger" <schragge@udel.edu>

I have an algorithm to solve a problem similar to your traffic problem.

First a little background.

I am working on the Highball Network project at the University of
Delaware.  This is a high-speed wide area computer network.
The intermediate devices are cross-bar switches.  The end-points
can be sources or sinks.  We are designing it to be a
reservation-TDMA network.  Departure times for each burst request
must be calculated to eliminate collision on the links and switches.
My work has been to create the reservation algorithms for this network.

The initial work has been published in IEEE INFOCOM'91 pg 589-596
"Scheduling Algorithms for Burst Reservations on Wide Area High Speed
Networks".  Additional information on the entire Highball project is
available as Tech Report 90-9-3 from the EE dept at UDEL.

In a nutshell, I solve the problem by creating lists of all
source to destination pair paths.  Then using these lists for
calculating the assignment of a burst to the least delay path.
For each path an availablity schedule is generated from the link
occupancy schedules.  Once a path and departure time have been
selected, the occupancy schedules of the links along the assigned path
are updated.

The solution provides an uninterrupted path across the network
using greedy assignments of resources.
This may be applicable to your problem if not only the time of
departure and path are assigned but the speed of the vehicle controlled.

I will be happy to provide more details offline.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 May 91 16:58:33 EDT
From: Ramchandani Rajen Sham <rajen@edsel.ece.cmu.edu>
To: fishwick@fish.cis.ufl.edu

WANTED: Symbolic simulation/Abstract Execution Source code

I am looking for any code that will enable me to perform symbolic simulation/
abstract execution of any hardware description language, like verilog,
vhdl or isp or a high level procedural language like pascal or C.  It
would be nice if it has the capability of resolving
brach conditions whenever possible.  Or on the other hand if you have some
program that is capable of deciding if a statement is true or false depending
on the conditions it has seen so far i would like to hear from you.

what is mean is: given the following hypothetical code fragment

sum = 0;
loop
  read ( x, y);                                                  -(1)
  if x > 2 then sum = sum + x - 2 else sum = sum + x ;           -(2)
  if y > x && y > 2 then sum = sum + y - 2 else sum = sum + y;   -(3)
end loop

the executer would trace a path thus
PC(1): input x1, y1;
PC(2): ( x1 > 2 AND  sum = x1 - 2 )  OR
       (x1 <= 2 AND sum = x1)
PC(3): ( x1 > 2 AND  sum = x1 - 2)  AND (y1 > x1 && y1 > 2
                                           AND sum = sum + y1 -2 )
       pruned to ( x1 > 2 AND  y1 > x1 AND sum = x1 + y1 -4) by the resolver
[ i.e it was able to deduce that y1 >2 was redundant]
OR ( ...............................)

The last thing on this wish list of mine is if you have some program that
generates input data values  to satisfy a given set of conditions, will be
equalities, inequalities and contain boolean operations.

If you have any pointers to similar  work being done elsewhere i could like
to hear from you.

Thanks a lot
please email responses to rajen@edsel.ece.cmu.edu

END OF SIMULATION DIGEST