[net.games.trivia] Suffix Trivia

asw@aluxz.UUCP (WEINER) (02/14/85)

*** EGASSEM RUOY HTIW ENIL SIHT ECALPER ***

There's a question that's been going around work.  Everyone seems to know
the question but no one knows the answer.  If you know it I would like to
hear it.

The claim is that there are three words in the English language that end
in "gry".
Two are obvious but we can't get the third.

Any linguists out there?

                           Befuddled in Allentown

naj@uiucdcs.UUCP (02/19/85)

The words are the obvious two: angry & hungry,
as well as the obscure but nonetheless valid word "gry",
meaning a small or meagre amount.

jsb@trwrba.UUCP (John S. Bien) (02/21/85)

According to our /usr/dict/words the only words containing
"gry" are:

	angry
	gryphon
	hungry

but only two of them are suffixes.  Oh well, so much
for /usr/dict/words (if there really is a third).

				John Bien
				ucbvax!trwrb!jsb

don@ucbtopaz.CC.Berkeley.ARPA (02/22/85)

In addition to "angry," "hungry," and "gry," with the meaning of a small
or meagre amount, there are also:

      a.  "gry," a variant of "gri," (a corruption of the Romany (Gypsy)
          "grai"), meaning "a horse," and

      b.  "aggry," (from "akori," an Edo word meaning "blue coral"),
           designating a kind of variegated glass beads, of ancient
           manufacture, found in Ghana, West Africa.

(Source:  Webster's New International Dictionary of the English Language,
 Second Edition, Unabridged, G & C Merriam Co, 1955.)

jim@randvax.UUCP (Jim Gillogly) (02/23/85)

In article <224@aluxz.UUCP> asw@aluxz.UUCP (WEINER) writes:
>The claim is that there are three words in the English language that end
>in "gry".
>Two are obvious but we can't get the third.
>Any linguists out there?

Settle for an amateur cryppie?  I checked through 15-letter words and found:

1. aggry (a kind of colored glass bead)
2. angry
3. hungry
4. ahungry
5. unangry
6. anhungry  (I've actually read this one somewhere.  Shakespeare?)
--
	Jim Gillogly
	{decvax, vortex}!randvax!jim

guy@cmu-cs-theory.ARPA (Guy Jacobson) (02/27/85)

The OSPD (Official Scrabble Players Dictionary) lists:
	angry
	hungry
	puggry
as the words ending in -gry.  Puggry is one of the many acceptable
variant spellings of pugree, a cloth band wrapped around a hat.
			-- Guy