[comp.simulation] SIMULATION DIGEST V21 N10

simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu (Moderator: Paul Fishwick) (05/23/91)

Volume: 21, Issue: 10, Wed May 22 22:43:28 EDT 1991

+----------------+
| TODAY'S TOPICS |
+----------------+

(1) CALL: European Conference on Artificial Intelligence
(2) SOFTWARE: Parallaxis Version 2.0
(3) Simulation and Modeling of Multiprocessors
(4) WANTED: Public Domain Finite Element Software
(5) Dynamic Articulation of Articulated Objects
(6) Simulation of Digital Systems
(7) WANTED: Book Material

* Moderator: Paul Fishwick, Univ. of Florida
* Send topical mail to: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu OR
  post to comp.simulation via USENET
* Archives available via FTP to bikini.cis.ufl.edu (128.227.224.1).
  Login as 'ftp', use your last name as the password, change
  directory to pub/simdigest. Do 'type binary' before any file xfers.
* Simulation Tools available by doing above and changing the
  directory to pub/simdigest/tools.

Date: Tue, 14 May 91 15:36:27 +0200
From: ai-vie!paolo@relay.EU.net (paolo petta)
To: LANTRA-L@FINHUTC.bitnet, NEURON@csl.ti.com, NL-KR@CS.ROCHESTER.EDU,
        PROLOG@SUSHI.STANFORD.EDU, VISION-LIST@ADS.COM, lseward@RAND.ORG,
        simulation@UFL.EDU
Subject: *** ECAI'92 *** CALL FOR PAPERS (plain text version)

 CALL FOR PAPERS - ECAI92 - CALL FOR PAPERS - ECAI92 - CALL FOR PAPERS

                            CALL FOR PAPERS

     10th European Conference on Artificial Intelligence (ECAI 92)

                   August 3-7, 1992, Vienna, Austria

The  European  Conference  on  Artificial  Intelligence  (ECAI)  is  the
European  forum for scientific exchange and presentation of AI research.
The aim of the conference is to cover all aspects of AI research and  to
bring  together  basic  research  and  applied  research.  The Technical
Programme will  include  paper  presentations,  invited  talks,  panels,
workshops,  and  tutorials.  The  conference  is  designed  to cover all
subfields of AI, including non-symbolic methods.

ECAIs are held in alternate years and  are  organized  by  the  European
Coordinating  Committee  for  Artificial  Intelligence (ECCAI). The 10th
ECAI in 1992 will be hosted  by  the  Austrian  Society  for  Artificial
Intelligence  (OGAI).  The  conference  will  take  place  at the Vienna
University of Economics and Business Administration.

TOPICS OF INTEREST

You are invited to submit an original  research  paper  on  any  of  the
following subjects:

 - Automated  Reasoning  (e.g.  automatic  programming,  reasoning   with
     uncertainty,   theorem   proving,  constraint  satisfaction,  logic
     programming, search)
 - Cognitive  Modeling  (e.g.  models  for  human  problem  solving   and
     information  processing,  memory  models, computational theories in
     psychology)
 - Connectionist and PDP Models for AI (e.g. connectionist architectures,
     connectionist learning, neural networks applications)
 - Distributed  AI  and  Multiagent  Systems  (e.g.  distributed  problem
     solving,    distributed    resource    allocation,   communication,
     cooperation)
 - Enabling  Technology  and  Systems  (e.g.  machine  architectures,  AI
     computer languages, tools for AI system development)
 - Integrated Systems (e.g. integrating several AI  components,  embedded
     AI, integrating AI and conventional systems)
 - Knowledge Representation (e.g. terminological knowledge,  nonmonotonic
     logic,  foundations  of  temporal,  causal  and  spatial reasoning,
     abduction, common sense, complexity of reasoning)
 - Machine  Learning  (e.g.  inductive  learning,   knowledge   intensive
     learning, discovery, concept formation)
 - Natural Language  (e.g.  text  generation  and  understanding,  speech
     understanding, syntax, semantics, discourse, representation issues,
     NL system architecture)
 - Philosophical Foundations (e.g. philosophy of mind, functionalism  and
     AI, epistemological foundations)
 - Planning, Scheduling, and Reasoning about Actions (e.g.  temporal  and
     causal  reasoning  for planning, task scheduling, plan recognition,
     resource allocation)
 - Principles of  AI  Applications  (e.g.  generic  applications,  expert
     system  design, tutoring systems, knowledge acquisition, case-based
     reasoning)
 - Reasoning  about  Physical   Systems   (e.g.   modeling,   model-based
     simulation,  qualitative  reasoning, diagnosis, design, monitoring,
     applications  of  causal,  temporal  and  spatial   reasoning   for
     engineering, scientific, medical, economic problems)
 - Robotics (e.g. connecting perception to action, sensor-motor  systems,
     kinematics, navigation, grasping)
 - Social, Economic, Legal, and Artistic Implications (e.g. AI scenarios,
     ethical issues, legal issues and responsibility, AI and music)
 - User  Interfaces  (e.g.  intelligent  graphical  interfaces,   natural
     language  front  ends,  user  models,  knowledge-based  information
     presentation, artificial reality)
 - Verification, Validation  &  Test  of  Knowledge-Based  Systems  (e.g.
     improving and securing consistency, completeness, reliability)
 - Vision  and  Signal  Understanding  (e.g.  vision  and  perception  in
     biological    and   technical   systems,   sensor   interpretation,
     intelligent signal interpretation)

SUBMISSION OF PAPERS

Authors are requested to submit to the Programme Chairperson 5 copies of
papers  written  in  English  in  hardcopy  format  (electronic  and fax
submissions will not be accepted). Submitted papers must be unpublished,
original  work  and  substantially different from papers currently under
review. They must not be submitted elsewhere before  notification  date.
This  restriction  does  not  apply to workshops and similar specialized
presentations with a limited audience.

Papers can be either long papers (completed research: maximum 5000 words
/  10  single-spaced  pages)  or short papers (ongoing research: maximum
2000 words / 4 pages). Each full page of figures counts  as  500  words.
Each  paper  should  contain an abstract (maximum 200 words). A separate
title page should include the  title,  the  name(s)  of  the  author(s),
complete  address(es), the specification of one of the above topics, and
the category long or short. Papers should be printed on A4  or  8.5"x11"
sized  paper  in letter quality print, with 12 point type (10 chars/inch
on typewriter).

Work described in an accepted paper  may  also  be  illustrated  with  a
videotape  or  a  demo.  Special  sessions  will  be scheduled for video
presentations and demos. Authors wishing to show a videotape or  a  demo
should  specify  the duration and the requirements of the videotape/demo
when submitting their paper for review.

TIMETABLE

Papers must be received by the Programme Chairperson before January  17,
1992.  Authors  will  be notified of acceptance or rejection by April 1,
1992. Final camera-ready papers must be received by May 15, 1992.

WORKSHOPS

Workshops are welcome at  ECAI  92.  They  will  give  participants  the
opportunity  to  discuss  specific technical topics in a small, informal
environment,  which  encourages  interaction  and  exchange  of   ideas.
Workshop  proposals  should be sent to the Programme Chairperson as soon
as possible, but not later than January  17,  1992.  Workshop  proposals
should  contain  a  brief  description of the workshop and the technical
issues addressed, a preliminary schedule, and the  names  and  addresses
(postal,  phone,  fax,  e-mail)  of  the  Organizing  Committee  of  the
workshop. The proposals will be reviewed  and  the  organizers  will  be
notified  not  later  than  February  28,  1992.  The   organizers   are
responsible  for  producing  a  call  for  participation,  for reviewing
requests to participate  and  for  scheduling  the  workshop  activities
within  the constraints set by the conference organizers. Workshops will
be scheduled outside the main technical programme.

ECAI PRIZE

A prize for the best paper as determined by the Programme Committee will
be awarded; the Digital Equipment Prize will also be awarded at ECAI 92.

PROGRAMME CHAIRPERSON

Papers, workshop proposals and all  inquiries  regarding  the  programme
should be sent to the Programme Chairperson:
   Prof. Bernd Neumann
   FB Informatik
   University of Hamburg
   Bodenstedtstr.16
   D-W-2000 Hamburg 50
   Germany

PROGRAMME COMMITTEE

Luigia Carlucci Aiello, Italy       Ramon Lopez de Mantaras, Spain
Giuseppe Attardi, Italy             David Makinson, France
Wolfgang Bibel, Germany             Robert Milne, United Kingdom
Mike Brady, United Kingdom          Katharina Morik, Germany
Ivan Bratko, Yugoslavia             Bernhard Nebel, Germany
Alan R. Bundy, United Kingdom       Wolfgang Nejdl, Austria
Stephan Busemann, Germany           Erkki Oja, Finland
Rolf Eckmiller, Germany             Eugenio Oliveira, Portugal
Jan-Olof Eklundh, Sweden            Domenico Parisi, Italy
Boi Faltings, Switzerland           Radoslav Pavlov, Bulgaria
Olivier Faugeras, France            Henri Prade, France
Francoise Fogelman-Soulie, France   Peter Raulefs, USA
Christian Freksa, Germany           Graeme D. Ritchie, United Kingdom
Peter Gardenfors, Sweden            Lorenza Saitta, Italy
Volker Haarslev, Germany            Erik Sandewall, Sweden
Eva Hajicova, Czechoslovakia        Aaron Sloman, United Kingdom
Werner Horn, Austria                Karen Sparck-Jones, United Kingdom
Gerard Kempen, The Netherlands      Sam Steel, United Kingdom
Dietrich Koch, Germany              Luc Steels, Belgium
Yves Kodratoff, France              Pietro Torasso, Italy
Jan Koenderink, The Netherlands     Robert Trappl, Austria
Jean-Pierre Laurent, France         Enn Tyugu, USSR
Maurizio Lenzerini, Italy

OTHER ACTIVITIES AND INQUIRIES

ECAI 92 will present a set of tutorials which  will  focus  both  on  AI
topics  from  the  practical perspective and on topics about emerging AI
technologies. All inquiries regarding tutorials should  be  directed  to
the  Tutorial  Chairperson, Werner Horn, Austrian Research Institute for
Artificial Intelligence, Schottengasse 3, A-1010 Vienna,  Austria  (tel:
+43-1-53532810, fax: +43-1-630652, email: werner@ai-vie.uucp).

For inquiries about registration (scientific programme  and  tutorials),
accommodation  and  other  local  arrangements  you  should  contact the
ECAI92 Conference Office,  ADV,  Trattnerhof 2,  A-1010 Vienna,  Austria
(tel: +43-1-5330913-74, fax: +43-1-5330913-77, telex: 75311178 adv a).

All inquiries regarding other activities should be directed to the Local
Arrangements   Chairperson,   Johannes   Retti,   Siemens  AG,  Abt.EK4,
Goellnergasse 15, A-1030 Vienna, Austria  (tel:  +43-1-71711-5030,  fax:
+43-1-71711-5120, email: retti%siewien.uucp@relay.eu.net).

------------------------------

From: Thomas Braeunl <Braeunl@informatik.uni-stuttgart.de>
Date: Thu, 16 May 91 14:00:51 +0200
To: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu
Subject: comp.simulation posting

  THE  P A R A L L A X I S  MASSIVELY PARALLEL PROGRAMMING SYSTEM

             -----------------------------------
              Announcing Parallaxis Version 2.0
             -----------------------------------

Parallaxis is a procedural programming language based on Modula-2, but extended
for data parallel (SIMD) programming. It has been developed at the Universitaet
Stuttgart (Germany) and is in the public domain since 1990. The main approach
for machine independent parallel programming is to include a description of the
virtual parallel machine with each parallel algorithm. The declaration includes
the number of identical processors with local memory (PEs), the names of
communication ports, and the network topology for data exchange among PEs. With
this information contained in each program, the parallel algorithm becomes
simpler (e.g. symbolic names for communication directions) and easier to
understand.

In Version 2 we extended the language in several ways:
  o multiple configuration and connection structures allow
    semi-dynamic topologies
  o new data exchange operations for exchanging data with inactive PEs
    and with implicit reductions allow general m:n connections
  o data structures pointer and variant record have been added

The simulation system has also been extended:
  o compiler optionally generates cross-reference files for the
  o symbolic debugger on Parallaxis source level

The Parallaxis system comprises a compiler and a simulator (except for
the MasPar, which is the only parallel implementation as of today). The
versions currently available are:
  * IBM-PC              (DOS)
  * Apple Macintosh     (MAC OS)
  * Sun3 w/ coproc.     (OS 4.0)
  * Sun3 w/o coproc.    (OS 4.0)
  * SPARCstation / Sun4 (OS 4.0)
  * DECstation          (Ultrix)
  * VAXstation          (Ultrix)
  * HP 9000/300         (Unix)
  * HP /800 series      (Unix)
  * Cray-2              (scalar only, sorry)
  * Apollo              (available soon)
  * MasPar MP-1         (available July 1991)

The software packages and a number of example programs are available via
"anonymous ftp" from:
    ftp.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de    (129.69.211.1)
    in subdirectory    pub/parallaxis
Please send remarks and bug reports to: braunl@informatik.uni-stuttgart.de

There is also a new User Manual for Parallaxis Version 2.0 .
You may order a copy by sending a fee (cash or cheque) of DM 10.00 (Europe)
or US$ 15.00 (outside Europe) to:
       Thomas Braunl, Univ. Stuttgart IPVR
       Breitwiesenstr. 20-22, D-7000 Stuttgart 80
       Germany

Thomas Braunl                  e-mail:  braunl@informatik.uni-stuttgart.de

To: comp-simulation@uunet.uu.net
From: pagels@cs.arizona.edu (Michael A. Pagels)
Newsgroups: comp.arch,comp.os.research,comp.simulation
Subject: Request for references: Multiprocessor OS simulation
Date: 16 May 91 17:03:47 GMT
Sender: news@cs.arizona.edu

I'm having difficulty locating references in the following
two areas, so I would be obliged for your assistance in
providing citations.

 -  Simulation and modeling of multiprocessor operating systems.

 -  Simulation and modeling of multiprocessor architectures.

To date I have a reasonable amount of information on Tango,
Simon and the Chief simulation environments.

Please reply via EMail, and I'll post a bibliography of responses.

Thanks in advance.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 18 May 91 14:32:55 -0400
From: "Paul Fishwick" <fishwick@fish.cis.ufl.edu>
To: simulation@ufl.edu
Subject: Public Domain Finite Element Software

I am looking around to see if there is any available finite element
software written in C. I notice that some of the FE textbooks include
software with them. Does anyone have such software available through
e-mail or FTP? Thanks for any responses.

 -paul f.

| Prof. Paul A. Fishwick.............. INTERNET: fishwick@fish.cis.ufl.edu|
| Complex Systems and Simulation Group UUCP: gatech!uflorida!fishwick     |
| Dept. of Computer Science........... PHONE: (904) 392-1414              |
| University of Florida............... FAX: (904) 392-1220                |
| Bldg. CSE, Room 301.................                                    |
| Gainesville, FL 32611...............                                    |

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 May 1991 16:35 +8:00
From: "puchm@cutmcvax.cs.curtin.edu.au"@cc.curtin.edu.au
Subject: dynamic simulation of articulated objects
To: comp-simulation@munnari.oz.au

    Dear net,

        I am interested in any and all references to ARTICLES
        (from magazines and journals) about dynamic simulation of
        articulated objects.

        Thanks,
            Richard.
 --
Richard Puchmayer == puchm@cutmcvax.cs.curtin.edu.au   | Some of us are poets,
Masters Student at Curtin University of Technology, WA.|  some of us are not!

------------------------------

To: comp-simulation@iraun1.ira.uka.de
From: Philipp Lanches <Lanches@informatik.uni-stuttgart.de>
Newsgroups: comp.simulation
Subject: Simulation of digital systems
Date: 22 May 91 15:51:22 GMT
Sender: news@informatik.uni-stuttgart.de
Originator: lanches@adam

I am interested in principles and techniques of mixed simulation for digital
systems at different levels of abstraction (system-, RT-, gate-level).

I would appreciate if anybody could give me a pointer to fundamental literature
and/or basic papers concerning this topic.

Methods and algorithms for parallel and distributed simulation would be of particular interest since we are using a message-passing oriented, transputer-based machine at our site.

Please send your responses directly by e-mail. If anybody is interested, I will post a summary to the net.

Thank you.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
Philipp Lanches				IPVR/ISE, Universitaet Stuttgart
e-mail:					Breitwiesenstr. 20-22
  lanches@informatik.uni-stuttgart.de	W-7000 Stuttgart 80  (F.R.G)
 --
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Newsgroups: comp.simulation,comp.theory.self-org-sys,sci.bio.technology,sci.edu,sci.math,sci.math.stat,sci.med.physics,sci.nanotech,bionet.population-bio,bionet.sci-resources,bionet.software
From: mwitten@hermes.chpc.utexas.edu (Matthew Witten)
Subject: REQUEST FOR ASSISTANCE
Sender: news@hermes.chpc.utexas.edu
Date: Wed, 22 May 91 14:19:26 GMT
Apparently-To: uunet!comp-parallel

Dear Reader:

I am writing this note to solicit reprints/preprints for a book that I
am writing. The book is called Frankenstein In The Machine (Pergamon
Press). It is aimed at being a comprehensive study of the role of
high performance computing in medicine/biology/dentistry/allied health
sciences. The book is in its final stages of organization. I am trying
to make the book relatively comprehensive. I am looking for the following
items:

(1)Color pictures/black and white graphics (slides/prints) of actual
   results. Same areas are
	-medical imaging
	-molecular visualization
	-simulation visualization
	-microscopy
        -medical visualization
   but are not limited to these areas. I will make copies of anything
   sent to me and gladly return it to you. In addition, I will
   acknowledge all figures used in the book. If you send pictures, please
   include appropriate citation/legend

(2)Copies of reprints/preprints in the area of computational medicine,
   dentistry, veterinary medicine, and allied health sciences. Areas
   include, not exclusively,
	-computational physiology and metabolism
	-computational pharmacology, pharmacodynamics, drug design
	-computational chemistry
	-demography, epidemiology, and statistics/biostatistics
	-disease modeling
	-cell biology
	-radiology
	-surgery
	-cardiology
	-renal function, brain modeling, neurophysiology, bone modeling
         joint modeling
        -issues in teaching

(3)Names and addresses of individuals working in areas related to the
   above and who might be interested in contributing to it.

I am trying to make this as complete a book as possible and do not
wish to commit the faux pas of forgetting someone, if at all possible.
Please feel free to circulate copies of this note, to repost copies of
this note, and to discuss the book with others. I am setting an end
of July 1991 target for receipt of materials. However, I am willing to
be flexible if necessary. If you are interested in being kept informed
about this project, please also let me know.

My contact information is below. Please feel free to contact me if you
have any further questions.

Matthew Witten, Ph.D.
Director, Applications Research & Development
Associate Director,
UT System Center For High Performance Computing
Balcones Research Center, 1.154 CMS
10100 Burnet Road, Austin, TX 78758-4497 USA

Phone: (512) 471-2472  FAX: (512) 471-2445/2449

E-MAIL  MWITTEN@HERMES.CHPC.UTEXAS.EDU
      or
        MWITTEN@UTCHPC.BITNET

Matthew Witten, Ph.D.
Director, Applications Research & Development
Associate Director,
UT System Center For High Performance Computing
Balcones Research Center, 1.154 CMS
10100 Burnet Road, Austin, TX 78758-4497 USA

Phone: (512) 471-2472  FAX: (512) 471-2445/2449

E-MAIL  MWITTEN@HERMES.CHPC.UTEXAS.EDU
      or
        MWITTEN@UTCHPC.BITNET

"some intellectuals make their living by creating
obscurities for the rest of us to puzzle over"

END OF SIMULATION DIGEST