[net.games.trivia] Define: .games.trivia

weiss@gondor.UUCP (Michael Weiss) (01/17/85)

*** LEAVE THIS LINE ALONE! ***

Question:  Is this net group only for the discussion of trivia
	   games (although TP is the one and only) or rather is
	   it for the discussion of trivia itself.

I would like to see some good trivia questions go around here, but
if that is not the intention of the group, I will withdraw.

To start things rolling (if they will, indeed, roll):

Q: What happened on Samuel Clemen's birthday and on his death and will
   happen again in a few years.

   (Easy one to get the ball rolling...)
--
-Michael  "on the the Twilight Node"  Weiss         UUCP...!gondor!weiss

     - The opinions expressed herein are those of my superiors,
       and are not neccesarily shared by the author.

sct@lanl.ARPA (01/21/85)

> I would like to see some good trivia questions go around here, but
> if that is not the intention of the group, I will withdraw.
>
> To start things rolling (if they will, indeed, roll):
>
> Q: What happened on Samuel Clemen's birthday and on his death and will
>    happen again in a few years.
>
>    (Easy one to get the ball rolling...)
> --
> -Michael  "on the the Twilight Node"  Weiss         UUCP...!gondor!weiss
>
>      - The opinions expressed herein are those of my superiors,
>        and are not neccesarily shared by the author.

That's easy: the return of Halley's Comet

rohn@randvax.UUCP (Laurinda Rohn) (01/22/85)

> -Michael  "on the the Twilight Node"  Weiss         UUCP...!gondor!weiss
> To start things rolling (if they will, indeed, roll):
>
> Q: What happened on Samuel Clemen's birthday and on his death and will
>    happen again in a few years.
>
>    (Easy one to get the ball rolling...)

Wasn't it occurrences of Halley's Comet?

					Lauri
					rohn@rand-unix.ARPA
					..decvax!randvax!rohn

"I told you when I met you I was crazy..."

tron@fluke.UUCP (Peter Barbee) (01/23/85)

Q: What happened on Samuel Clemen's birthday and on his death and will
   happen again in a few years.

A: Haley's Comet appeared

decvax-+-uw-beaver-+
ihnp4--+   allegra-+
ucbvax----lbl-csam-+--fluke!tron
	       sun-+
	   ssc-vax-+
:

weiss@gondor.UUCP (Michael Weiss) (01/24/85)

> Q: What happened on Samuel Clemen's birthday and on his death and will
>    happen again in a few years.
>
>    (Easy one to get the ball rolling...)

  Sorry if I confused anyone with the fact the Halley's comet is
  coming this year, and I said in the next few years.  I thought
  it was due next year.  Even so: Halley's comet is the correct
  answer.  I got 3 replies which is pretty good.  Let's see some
  more good trivia questions on this node.  Ok?  (s'allright!)

--
-Michael  "on the the Twilight Node"  Weiss         UUCP...!gondor!weiss

     - The opinions expressed herein are those of my superiors,
       and are not neccesarily shared by the author.

myeksie@uokvax.UUCP (01/24/85)

Bravo!!

I like your suggestion.

As for your trivia question, it was Haley's Comet.
Now, to add my own piece of worthless non TP trivia:

What is the most populous monosyllabic (sp?) city in the U.S.A.?

lip@gcc-bill.ARPA (Sethmodius Lipkin) (01/31/85)

>What is the most populous monosyllabic (sp?) city in the U.S.A.?

How about Flint, Michigan?

acsccjk@sunybcs.UUCP (Chris Kracik) (02/01/85)

> > Q: What happened on Samuel Clemen's birthday and on his death and will
> >    happen again in a few years.
> >
> >    (Easy one to get the ball rolling...)
>
>   Sorry if I confused anyone with the fact the Halley's comet is
>   coming this year, and I said in the next few years.  I thought
>   it was due next year.

     you are correct, in that Haley's comet is due every 76 years.  it was
last seen in 1910 (the year Mark Twain died) and is due again next year.

   And now for some music trivia :

   1) What was E.L.O. called before they were E.L.O. ??

   2) What was Chicago called before they were Chicago ??

   3) What two groups did Billy Joel play with before he went solo ??
      3b)  What were the names of the albumns put out by these two groups ??

            Chris 'my life is trivial' kracik

jcjeff@ihlpg.UUCP (jeffreys) (02/04/85)

>    And now for some music trivia :
>
>    1) What was E.L.O. called before they were E.L.O. ??

        Answer is: Wizzard
                   ( when Roy Wood left Wizzard, Jeff Lynn formed E.L.O )

>    2) What was Chicago called before they were Chicago ??

       Answer is: Chicago Transit Authority
                  ( remember 25 or 6 to 4 ??, I do. )

  |     From the keys of Richard Jeffreys ( British Citizen Overseas )      |
  |            @ Bell Laboratories, Naperville, Illinois                    |

rmf@petfe.UUCP (Ralph M. Friedman) (02/06/85)

'Chicago' was formerly known as 'Chicago Transit Authority'.

          Regards,
     Ralph M. Friedman

guy@rlgvax.UUCP (Guy Harris) (02/07/85)

> >    And now for some music trivia :
> >
> >    1) What was E.L.O. called before they were E.L.O. ??
> >
>         Answer is: Wizzard
>                    ( when Roy Wood left Wizzard, Jeff Lynn formed E.L.O )

Try The Move instead; when they split, Wood formed Wizzard and Lynn formed
E.L.O. (which, for my money, says that E.L.O. wasn't called The Move before
they were E.L.O.; they were different groups).

	Guy Harris
	{seismo,ihnp4,allegra}!rlgvax!guy

rick@ucla-cs.UUCP (02/08/85)

In article <136@ihlpg.UUCP> jcjeff@ihlpg.UUCP (jeffreys) writes:
>>    And now for some music trivia :
>>
>>    1) What was E.L.O. called before they were E.L.O. ??
>>
>        Answer is: Wizzard
>                   ( when Roy Wood left Wizzard, Jeff Lynn formed E.L.O )

WRONG! Maybe Roy Wood went on to form Wizzard (I don't know) but before
the split they were The Move. Bev Bevan, the drummer, stayed with Lynn
when they became ELO.
--

			       Rick Gillespie
				  rick@ucla-cs

	"She turned me into a newt! . . . I got better."

zmh10@udenva.UUCP (zmh10) (02/28/85)

> 'Chicago' was formerly known as 'Chicago Transit Authority'.
>
>           Regards,
>      Ralph M. Friedman

*** REPLACE THIS MESS WITH YOUR LINEAGE ***

Before that, they were The Big Thing.  Also, Chicago albums are one of three
places where Roman Numerals are still used.

Steven Howard