[comp.mail.sendmail] Unknown Host Error

ane@hal.UUCP (Aydin "Bif" Edguer) (08/09/88)

HELP!
Environment:
I am currently running sendmail 5.59 on a VAX 11/750 under 4.3 BSD.
I am also running named 4.8.
Problem:
When sending mail to a particular site, I receive the following error:
550 hostname... Host unknown
Fact:
The hostname exists and has a valid number.
Verified by running nsquery and nslookup.
Fact:
Other internet hosts can be found and mail sent via SMTP.
Verified by sending mail using the verbose option.  (numerous sites and times)
Fact:
I use the following rules to isolate tcp sites:
> # Well it isn't a "known" host lets try to find it
> R$*<@$+.UUCP>$*	$1<@$2>$3			Just drop the .UUCP
> # Look for host name using named
> R$*<@$+>$*		$:$1<@$[$2.$]>$3		ask named to resolve
> R$*<@$+.>$*		$:$1<@$[$2.$]>$3		recheck unresolved names
> # Send mail via tcp to known hosts
> R$*<@$+>$*		$#tcp$@$2$:$1@$2$3		user@domain
The hostname lookup SUCCEEDS!
Verified by running sendmail -bt ruleset 0 user@host where host is a known
alias.  The hostname is converted to its canonical hostname!
Fact:
I do not understand how named and sendmail can resolve the name AND the
host still be UNKNOWN!
Verified by this posting :-)

I am at wit's end.  Help me please.

Wanted:
	Solutions to the problem
	or
	Suggestions on how to isolate the problem

Aydin Edguer
ane@hal.cwru.edu

hakanson@mist.cs.orst.edu (Marion Hakanson) (08/09/88)

In article <277@hal.UUCP> ane@hal.cwru.edu (Aydin "Bif" Edguer) writes:
>Environment:
>I am currently running sendmail 5.59 on a VAX 11/750 under 4.3 BSD.
>I am also running named 4.8.
>. . .
>Fact:
>I do not understand how named and sendmail can resolve the name AND the
>host still be UNKNOWN!
>Verified by this posting :-)
>. . .
>Aydin Edguer
>ane@hal.cwru.edu

This rather surprising behavior can occur when (for example) someone has
an MX record pointing to an unknown host.  Sendmail reports the original
destination host as being unknown, when it is actually the MX-er which
cannot be resolved.  Get into nslookup, "set type=MX" and look at what
MX records exist for that host.  To find the offender, "set type=A" and
try each of the MX hosts shown above.  Needless to say, a better diagnostic
from sendmail would be greatly appreciated.

--
Marion Hakanson         Domain: hakanson@cs.orst.edu
                        UUCP  : {hp-pcd,tektronix}!orstcs!hakanson

karl@triceratops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) (08/09/88)

hakanson@mist.cs.orst.edu writes:
   >I do not understand how named and sendmail can resolve the name AND the
   >host still be UNKNOWN!

   This rather surprising behavior can occur when (for example) someone has
   an MX record pointing to an unknown host.

It can also happen if there is inconsistent data among a domain's
various nameservers out there.  In the last several months, I have
caught 3 or 4 instances where mail to some.site.domain got bounced
with `host unknown,' but when I later made a fast check for the host,
I got valid A or MX records.  On checking ALL of the nameservers for
the given host, 2 out of 3 had the correct data, the 3rd gave me an
authoritative denial of existence.  Oops.  Can you guess on which
nameserver my machine managed to have a grip when that mail was trying
to go through?

I generally try to duplicate the inconsistency in a typescript that I
can then send to the person identified in the SOA record.

--Karl