[comp.mail.sendmail] sendmail with MX and IDA-enhancements

ap@laura.UUCP (Axel Pawlik) (08/16/88)

  has anybody out there already merged the MX-sendmail
with Lennard Loevstrand's IDA-enhancements?

  Any hints would be greatly appreciated,

		thanks a lot,   Axel

				ap@unido.uucp
				ap@unido.bitnet

robert@pvab.UUCP (Robert Claeson) (08/18/88)

In article <553@laura.UUCP>, ap@laura.UUCP (Axel Pawlik) writes:

>   has anybody out there already merged the MX-sendmail
> with Lennard Loevstrand's IDA-enhancements?

And added Sun's enhancements (being able to query YP for known hosts
and the like)?

	*ANY* hints and/or pointers are welcome,

		Robert Claeson
		robert@pvab.se
		robert%pvab.se@uunet.uu.net

vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul Vixie) (08/18/88)

In article <553@laura.UUCP> ap@unido.bitnet (Axel Pawlik) writes:
#
#   has anybody out there already merged the MX-sendmail
# with Lennard Loevstrand's IDA-enhancements?

That's "Lennert Lovstrand" with some special do-dads over the "o".  We should
at least try to get his name right, though he's pretty understanding...

Anyway, 5.59 IDA.  Dave Koblas at MIPS did one; I did one with some unwitting
assistance from Erik Fair; and (drum roll, please) Lennert has one that he
wants to send out.  Look for it in comp.sources.unix some time soon.
--
Paul Vixie
Digital Equipment Corporation	Work:  vixie@dec.com	Play:  paul@vixie.UUCP

pst@comdesign.CDI.COM (Paul Traina) (08/20/88)

From article <298@pvab.UUCP>, by robert@pvab.UUCP (Robert Claeson):
| In article <553@laura.UUCP>, ap@laura.UUCP (Axel Pawlik) writes:
|
|>   has anybody out there already merged the MX-sendmail
|> with Lennard Loevstrand's IDA-enhancements?
|
| And added Sun's enhancements (being able to query YP for known hosts
| and the like)?
|
| 	*ANY* hints and/or pointers are welcome,
|
| 		Robert Claeson
| 		robert@pvab.se
| 		robert%pvab.se@uunet.uu.net

Ditto please, I'm torn between runing old 4.12 and hacking 5.59 to have
the YP support.
		Paul Traina
		pst@condor.cdi.com
		...{pyramid|ucsbcsl|uunet}!comdesign!pst
--
Paul Traina				To believe that what is true for
{uunet|pyramid}!comdesign!pst		you in your private heart is true

Lennart_Lovstrand.EuroPARC@Xerox.COM (08/27/88)

In article <450@comdesign.CDI.COM> pst@comdesign.CDI.COM (Paul Traina) writes:
> From article <298@pvab.UUCP>, by robert@pvab.UUCP (Robert Claeson):
> | In article <553@laura.UUCP>, ap@laura.UUCP (Axel Pawlik) writes:
> |>   has anybody out there already merged the MX-sendmail
> |> with Lennard Loevstrand's IDA-enhancements?
> | And added Sun's enhancements (being able to query YP for known hosts
> | and the like)?
> Ditto please, I'm torn between runing old 4.12 and hacking 5.59 to have
> the YP support.

Gentlemen and -women, it does indeed exist!

Please welcome the IDA Sendmail Enhancement Kit v1.2 for sendmail 5.59
with MX and Yellow Pages support.  It has tonight been made available on
Arisia.Xerox.COM in ~ftp/pub1/ida.tar.Z (available via anonymous ftp)
and will be sent to comp.sources.unix shortly.

The major change is that of Yellow Pages support, but others include dbm
file update locking, setting classes from programs (eg. CU|uuname),
delayed macro evaluation (from the net), rfc822 quoted macro expansion,
address rewriting loop detection and an extra compile-time frozen file
check; the latter ones contributed by Guy Middleton @ Waterloo.

There has also been some bug fixes and slight improvements on the IDA
configuration file and associated files.

All the old enhancements still apply, with the exception of BSD2.9 and
4.2 support, although it will compile and run under SunOS 3.x given that
you have bind 4.8 as well.

For those of you who haven't heard of this before, the IDA Enhancement
Kit is a set of changes to the standard Berkeley mailer which implements
the following features:

  o  Nameserver Default Argument
  o  Direct Access to Dbm(3) Files
  o  Batched SMTP Support
  o  Separate Envelope/Header Rewriting Rulesets
  o  Separate Local UUCP Host Name
  o  Return Path for UUCP Mailers
  o  UUCP Header Address Relativization
  o  Support for Multi-Token Matches
  o  Support for Embedded Subruleset Calls
  o  Elaborate Matching Algorithm for Unknown Local Recipients
  o  Support for Maryland's Mdbm Package
  o  Improved Test Mode Output
  o  Better To: and Cc: Headers of Returned Messages

It also comes with the IDA Configuration Kit, which has pathalias based
systems routing within sendmail, fully !-/@-translating rulesets,
generic localuser addresses, and more.

Enjoy!

--Lennart Lovstrand
  Rank Xerox EuroPARC, Cambridge, England

  DARPA Internet: Lovstrand.EuroPARC@Xerox.COM
  Xerox Internet: Lovstrand:EuroPARC:RX

zjat02@apctrc.UUCP (Jon A. Tankersley) (09/03/88)

The only problem with IDA is that it requires source.....  For those that
have gotten bruised fighting for source license it can't be used.  How
about a binary/purchasable product?

-tank-
--
#include <disclaimer.h>		/* nobody knows the trouble I .... */

james@bigtex.uucp (James Van Artsdalen) (09/04/88)

In article <516@cra2.apctrc.UUCP>, zjat02@cra2.UUCP (Jon A. Tankersley) wrote:

> The only problem with IDA is that it requires source.....  For those that
> have gotten bruised fighting for source license it can't be used.  How
> about a binary/purchasable product?

?  I ftp'd both IDA and sendmail anonymously, and have placed both for
anonymous uucp download on bigtex.  Is there any copyright problem
with either?
--
James R. Van Artsdalen    ...!uunet!utastro!bigtex!james     "Live Free or Die"
Home: 512-346-2444 Work: 328-0282; 110 Wild Basin Rd. Ste #230, Austin TX 78746