[comp.mail.sendmail] Argh!

casey@corwyn.cognet.ucla.edu (Casey Leedom) (09/30/88)

In article <9810@elroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> dave@jplopto.UUCP (Dave Hayes) writes:

> HOW does one become conversant with the ways of sendmail, UUCP mail, and
> the general internet mailing system?!?  Mailing to others on the internet
> reliably seems to involve a system of enormous complexity that is
> completely un-documented.  Is there an overview that I can obtain that
> explains how mail works and why fully 75% of my messages to other sites
> on the internet bounce?

  Unfortunately there isn't.  And yes, it's an admittedly sad state of
affairs.  People are working on the problem, but it a complex one.  Some
of the complexity that you perceive in the current mail systems is
gratuitous and unnecessary, but much of it stems from the fact that it is
just a tough problem.

  Things like RFC822, the Domain System, the work of various OtherNet
organizations like USENET, and individuals like Rick Adams, Peter
Honeyman, etc. are helping the situation.  We're getting closer to the
time when simply mailing to user@host will work *for everyone*, not just
internet sites.

  Many sites already run 90% of this desired goal.  They've had the
benefit of *Mail Gurus*, either resident or contracted.  Someday when the
practices are well accepted the necessary software and configuration work
will be part of most manufacturers distributions.  Until then, you're at
the mercy of Mail Gurus.

> Is there a method of configuring sendmail to try these messages via other
> routes when it encounters a bounced message or a felled machine?  How the
> h**l does sendmail work?  How does MAIL work?  Is there a way to make the
> system simpler?  More reliable?  Where are the standards?  Why are all
> machines different?

  Much as I hate to offer this as the answer, you're best bet is to
either invest the work to become a Mail Guru (90% doable with a *very*
solid month's worth of work), or contract someone to set you system up
nicely.  It's very definitely possible to set systems up so that they run
very nicely in a stable mode (that is, not requiring endless and constant
tweaking).

  If you get someone good and are willing to pay for their time, they'll
sit down and show you what they're doing and why it works.  As a matter
of fact, that's probably a pretty good way to judge possible
contractors.  Ask them if they're willing to do that.  Be prepared to pay
for it though.  They'll charge the same per hour as they charge for
actual computer work.

  I hope this helps.

Casey

mike@quench.lbl.gov (Michael Helm) (09/30/88)

In article <9810@elroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> dave@jplopto.UUCP (Dave Hayes) writes:

>HOW does one become conversant with the ways of sendmail, UUCP mail,
>and the general internet mailing system?!? All I get when I ask

Well, I'm a newcomer to this in some respects too, so...but I would recommend
you track down the following:

     Quarterman, John S. and Hoskins, Josiah C., "Notable
     Computer Networks," Communications of the ACM, vol. 29,
     no. 10, pp. 932-971, Association for Computing
     Machinery, New York, New York, October 1986.
This article is getting dated, but it's a place to start.  One of the authors
is said to be working on a book in this area; he's also involved with USENET,
perhaps he'll respond.

>and why fully 75% of my messages to other sites on the internet bounce?
I can't be sure...I guess it's time to spout some gibberish.  What
you mite need is a sendmail that can talk to Internet name servers;
an MX'able sendmail.  This could help obviate the need for

>      ...a method of configuring sendmail to try these messages via other
>routes when it encounters a bounced message or a felled machine?
But not completely.  It does make life easier if it's available for your
system; trust me. (at least give me the benefit of the doubt)

>h**l does sendmail work? How does MAIL work? Is there a way to make the
>system simpler? More reliable? Where are the standards? Why are all
>machines different?
The BSD 4.3 System Management Manual has several sections that
explain 4.3 versions of sendmail & Mail, as well as the nameserver.
These articles in turn reference the standards, & they are available
on sri-nic.arpa or other places -- the rfc's.  The 4.3BSD SMM is available
from the Usenix Association & other places.  Your computer vendor's manuals
may essentially recap these articles, so check there too.

You may think you have it bad, but just look at what some people
have to put up with:

>From: "SDRRTR::PSI%PRSRTR::PSI%SCRVX2::BLUE::IN%\"'m_mailnow::m_sdr::davis'@scr-gateway\""@sdr.slb.COM

(I found this on comp.emacs tonite.  Apologies to the author.)
Imagine having to print something like that on your meishi!

Michael Helm (Internet M_Helm@lbl.gov)
(my opinions only)