[comp.mail.sendmail] how to compile sendmail on System V?

kls@ditka.UUCP (Karl Swartz) (09/26/88)

In article <246@acheron.UUCP> clarke@acheron.UUCP (Ed Clarke) writes:
>Sendmail 5.59 and bind are both Berkeley code.  To quote from 'main.c' in
>sendmail (partial quote only):
>
>	Redistribution and use in source and binary forms are permitted
>	provided that this notice is preserved and that due credit is
>	given to the University of California at Berkeley.
>
>So throw out your binaries and use the source!

I have had access to sendmail source for a while, but hadn't wanted to
do anything with it because I wasn't sure if I needed a source license
of some source or not; obviously I didn't look at the code enough.

Now, the question comes up of how to build it for System V, specifically
a UNIX PC.  I played around with it a bit, turning off most features to
avoid obvious Berkeleyisms, but it still won't go.  Any suggestions on
an easy way to do this, or is it guaranteed hard labor?  (No, I don't
*need* it, just wanted something else to hack on.)

--
Karl Swartz		|UUCP	{gatech!emoryu1,uunet!dasys1}!ditka!kls
1-505/667-2402 (work)	|ARPA	rt1!ditka!kls@hc.dspo.gov

mrj@stratus.UUCP (Michael R. Jordan) (09/29/88)

In article <372@ditka.UUCP> kls@ditka.UUCP (Karl Swartz) writes:
>Now, the question comes up of how to build it for System V, specifically
>a UNIX PC.  I played around with it a bit, turning off most features to
>avoid obvious Berkeleyisms, but it still won't go.  Any suggestions on
>an easy way to do this, or is it guaranteed hard labor?  (No, I don't
>*need* it, just wanted something else to hack on.)

One thing that I remember is that you need to watch out for open being called
with a null string.  The meaning is different between System V and BSD.

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) (10/02/88)

As quoted from <372@ditka.UUCP> by kls@ditka.UUCP (Karl Swartz):
+---------------
| Now, the question comes up of how to build it for System V, specifically
| a UNIX PC.  I played around with it a bit, turning off most features to
| avoid obvious Berkeleyisms, but it still won't go.  Any suggestions on
| an easy way to do this, or is it guaranteed hard labor?  (No, I don't
| *need* it, just wanted something else to hack on.)
+---------------

It takes work; I've done it.  (Even more fun was bringing it up under System
III!)  However, in this case you can get it with all the work already done;
check out unix-pc.all or comp.archives (if and when), there is at least
one Unix-PC which has it available via anonymous UUCP.

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, uunet!marque!ncoast!allbery			DELPHI: ALLBERY
	  For comp.sources.misc send mail to <backbone>!sources-misc

sadler@shorty.CS.WISC.EDU (Jon B. Sadler) (10/08/88)

About 3-5 months ago, someone in comp.sys.att mentioned that a version of
sendmail 5.59 had been ported to System V, and is available for anonymous
FTP from ucsd.edu.  I have taken this source and, after adding some local
mods, brought it up.  I don't know if it is still available at this site,
but it is worth a try.  The source, stored in a CPIO archive, is 414,720
bytes in size.  The file was sendmail.sys5.cpio.

If you have any questions in bringing this up, feel free to mail me.

Oh, and BTW, I brought this up on a 3b15 running Wollengong TCP/IP.  The
Sendmail they had sent with V1.1 of their TCP/IP contained so many bugs
that I trashed it for this port.  WIN/3b v1.1's Sendmail version was only
at 4.3!

Jonathan Sadler
University of Wisconsin - Madison

INTERNET:  sadler@cs.wisc.edu         SNAIL MAIL:  Jonathan Sadler
           sadler@csd4.milw.wisc.edu               2350 Comp Sci + Stat (CSL)
UUCP    :  ...!rutgers!uwvax!sadler                University of Wisconsin
           sadler@uwvax.UUCP                       Madison, WI 53706
           ...chinet!laidbak!sadler   BELL NET:    (608) 262-2389