[comp.mail.sendmail] Documentation on Internet/UUCP/??? possible types of mail addresses?

mparker@chip.UUCP (M. D. Parker) (10/02/88)

Greetings...

We are in the process of integrating a number of different mail systems and
are hoping to write the parsers to properly interpret all the possible mail
addresses out there.  I do have a pretty fair idea as to the presendences
and ordering of the operators and what they do, but to this point I have found
no documentation on this.  Many of you might point to RFC822 immediately.
Unfortunately, from what I can determine RFC822 does not address the mixed
UUCP/DECNET/Internet/??? formats that can exist that we all commonly use
now.

SOOOO...I guess what I am asking is for a pointer to a definitive document
that addresses all sorts of address formats.  This would make it a bit
easier to write a header parser that properly routes messages.  Maybe others
have made a stab at this?

Thanks for any and all help.

Mike Parker
Manager, Systems Administration

rpw3@amdcad.AMD.COM (Rob Warnock) (10/05/88)

In article <194@chip.UUCP> mparker@chip.UUCP (M. D. Parker) writes:
+---------------
| Unfortunately, from what I can determine RFC822 does not address the mixed
| UUCP/DECNET/Internet/?? formats that can exist that we all commonly use now.
+---------------

See RFC976, "UUCP Mail Interchange Format Standard". It includes recommendations
about what to do when you see mixed-mode addresses.

Rob Warnock
Systems Architecture Consultant

UUCP:	  {amdcad,fortune,sun}!redwood!rpw3
ATTmail:  !rpw3
DDD:	  (415)572-2607
USPS:	  627 26th Ave, San Mateo, CA  94403

brunner@aai7.uucp (Eric Brunner) (10/12/88)

In article <194@chip.UUCP> mparker@chip.UUCP (M. D. Parker) writes:
>Greetings...
>SOOOO...I guess what I am asking is for a pointer to a definitive document
>that addresses all sorts of address formats.

You may want to read the article that appeared in the October 1986 issue
of the CACM entitled "Notable Networks" by John Quarterman, the format of
addresses for most of the known world (then, and now) are described.
You may also want to look at the rules files in the sendmail sources for
translation rules.

Thomas Eric Brunner
Manager, SRI IST Division Computer Facility, EJ309, x3130