[comp.mail.sendmail] sendmail/smail woes

aad@stpstn.UUCP (Anthony A. Datri) (10/18/88)

My sendmail is driving me crazy, and I'd be very grateful to anyone who could
take a minute and tell me what I'm doing wrong.  I'm running SunOs 3.2 and
smail 2.5.  The scenario:  A bunch of machines that should be able to tcp/ip
to each other, the central machine is named "stpstn" according to uucp and
hostname.  It's also the gateway for stepstone.com (yes, I know it's probably
not registered yet), and I want outgoing mail to say user@stepstone.com on it.
When I left Dj be $w.$D, it was sending out stpstn.ppiYP -- ppiYP is the yp
domain.  Changing that to Djstepstone.com seemed to do the trick.  The
following few lines are from the sendmail.cf that the smail 2.5 script made
for me:

  Dwstpstn
  DDstepstone.com
  DA.UUCP
  CDUUCP stepstone

Are these rational for what I want?  I find that with this setup, a user
with "chris@stepstone.com" in his .forward ends up with all of his mail
looping, eventually to go to the postmaster after 15 passwd through
"stepstone.com".  Everything works fine with "chris@stpstn" in the .forward,
Why?  I'm so confused.

Also, the following line doesn't seem to have any effect for me.
/etc/hosts.smtp is indeed a link to /etc/hosts:

  # /etc/hosts.smtp might be a link to /etc/hosts
  FE/etc/hosts.smtp %s

[ with smail, it should never send anything to here, right?]

  # Relay host.  Used at the end of S0 as the general depository for
  # addresses which didn't resolve locally.

  DRstpstn

And, when the script created the file, both of the first two lines below
were uncommented.  Commenting out the first seemed to make things work.
Again, is this what I should be doing?

  # General disposition of remote mail (comment out all but one).  You
  # might add to this list, if you have other "smarter" mailers.  HINTS.

  ####R$*<@$->:$+		$#uux$@$2$:$1$3			forward to $2
  R$*<@$*>$*		$#uux$@$2$:$1$3			hand to uucp
  #R$*<@$*>$*		$#uux$@$R$:$1@$2$3		hand to uucp relay
  #R$*<@$*>$*		$#ether$@$R$:$1@$2$3		hand to ether relay
  #R$*<$*>$*		$#error$:unknown address $1$2$3	don't hand anywhere

  # local delivery
  R$+			$#local$:$1			user

  #
  # 		Local and Program Mailer specification
  #

  #Mlocal, P=/bin/mail, F=lsDFMhumSU, S=10, R=20, A=rmail $u
  Mlocal, P=/bin/mail, F=rlsDFMmn, S=10, R=20, A=mail -d $u

[ the above is as the smail script generated ]
--
@disclaimer(Any concepts or opinions above are entirely mine, not those of my
	    employer, my GIGI, or my 11/34)

vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul Vixie) (10/19/88)

# My sendmail is driving me crazy

Welcome!

:-)

# [...] sendmail.cf that the smail 2.5 script made for me:
#
#   Dwstpstn
#   DDstepstone.com
#   DA.UUCP
#   CDUUCP stepstone
#
# Are these rational for what I want?

I always have to modify the hell out of these.  Try:

    CDUUCP stepstone stpstn stepstone.com

Add more if this doesn't do it for you.

#   # Relay host.  Used at the end of S0 as the general depository for
#   # addresses which didn't resolve locally.
#
#   DRstpstn

Ooops.  You can't be your own relay -- this would be some other host which
you trusted to know more about mail addresses than yours does.  If you don't
have one, comment this out.  I see below that you aren't using it, so it
doesn't really matter.

# Again, is this what I should be doing?
#
#   ####R$*<@$->:$+		$#uux$@$2$:$1$3			forward to $2
#   R$*<@$*>$*		$#uux$@$2$:$1$3			hand to uucp
#   #R$*<@$*>$*		$#uux$@$R$:$1@$2$3		hand to uucp relay
#   #R$*<@$*>$*		$#ether$@$R$:$1@$2$3		hand to ether relay
#   #R$*<$*>$*		$#error$:unknown address $1$2$3	don't hand anywhere

Yup.

You're very close.  Keep trying :-).
--
Paul Vixie
Work:    vixie@decwrl.dec.com    decwrl!vixie    +1 415 853 6600

woods@ncar.ucar.edu (Greg Woods) (10/20/88)

In article <2226@stpstn.UUCP> aad@stpstn.UUCP (Anthony A. Datri) writes:
>When I left Dj be $w.$D, it was sending out stpstn.ppiYP -- ppiYP is the yp
>domain.  Changing that to Djstepstone.com seemed to do the trick.

   This is in DIRECT CONTRADICTION to the Sun documentation which explicitly
states "YP domains have nothing to do with mail domains". Thanks to this
brain damage by Sun, I spent a day beating my head against the wall over this
one, too. I too had to resort to hard-coding my domain name into the sendmail
configuration file in order to convince Sun's sendmail that I really do know
what I am doing and that it should not try to be smarter than me. Jeez, if
they insist on hosing things up like this, the least they could do is
not claim to the contrary in the documentation. Fifty lashes at least.

--Greg