[comp.mail.sendmail] Config files

peter@essex.ac.uk (on Essex DEC-10) (10/14/88)

--------
I would wellcome any help you could give me a new comer to the world of
sendmail.
My problem is that we have a ethernet on which we have many differnet
machines including suns and micro-vaxes
On one machine (a vax) we run mmdf. We would like to arrange
for all the machines to send mail that they cannot resolve to this vax.
If the user says fred@xxy.ac.uk then we pass this to the vax ok
but if the user say fred@somewhere sendmail tries to send this to
a host called somewhere on our net (it fails).
In the comments to the ultrix gereric.mc 3.3 it appears that
we can define FS/etc/hosts and this looks as if this should spot that
"somewhere" is undefined and try our central machine but this is not the
case
What am I doing (or not doing) wrong?

--------

jim@cs.strath.ac.uk (Jim Reid) (10/17/88)

|> My problem is that we have a ethernet on which we have many differnet
|> machines including suns and micro-vaxes
|> On one machine (a vax) we run mmdf. We would like to arrange
|> for all the machines to send mail that they cannot resolve to this vax.
|> If the user says fred@xxy.ac.uk then we pass this to the vax ok
|> but if the user say fred@somewhere sendmail tries to send this to
|> a host called somewhere on our net (it fails).
|> In the comments to the ultrix gereric.mc 3.3 it appears that
|> we can define FS/etc/hosts and this looks as if this should spot that
|> "somewhere" is undefined and try our central machine but this is not the
|> case
|> What am I doing (or not doing) wrong?

You are going wrong on two counts. Firstly, you're using (or adapting)
a vendor-supplied "generic" sendmail.cf file. This is almost always a
mistake as they invariably fail to do what they claim to. Secondly,
you're not using Jim Crammond's configuration file compiler kit. This
makes configuring sendmail a doddle and has the advantage of being
easily maintainable. It will cure your sendmail troubles, so get hold
of a copy and use it!

[To the list maintainer: perhaps you could post an advert for this
kit, explaining what it is and how to get it, to the DL every now and
again. An alternative would be to pass this information to folk who
join the list. I'm surprised that some people on this DL are unaware
of Jim Crammond's compiler kit. It seem a pity that the DL looks to be
headed for discussions of the minutae of the FooBar Computer Company's
"generic" sendmail.cf file version AA.BB.CC.DD.EE.]

		Jim

idc@cs.hw.ac.uk (Ian Crorie) (10/17/88)

  > You are going wrong on two counts. Firstly, you're using (or adapting)
  > a vendor-supplied "generic" sendmail.cf file. This is almost always a
  > mistake as they invariably fail to do what they claim to. Secondly,
  > you're not using Jim Crammond's configuration file compiler kit. This
  > makes configuring sendmail a doddle and has the advantage of being
  > easily maintainable. It will cure your sendmail troubles, so get hold
  > of a copy and use it!

Absolutely.

  > [To the list maintainer: perhaps you could post an advert for this
  > kit, explaining what it is and how to get it, to the DL every now and
  > again. An alternative would be to pass this information to folk who
  > join the list. I'm surprised that some people on this DL are unaware
  > of Jim Crammond's compiler kit. It seem a pity that the DL looks to be
  > headed for discussions of the minutae of the FooBar Computer Company's
  > "generic" sendmail.cf file version AA.BB.CC.DD.EE.]

UK-1.4a
-------
Jim still maintains the list here even though he is at ic.doc.    He has shar
files here at hw.cs for ftp access for those of you who can do that, or
I will mail copies to people on request.   Any day now ;-) I hope our
info server stuff will be up and running and I'll not need to answer
requests myself.

BTW, I have had problems caused by classes appearing in the .cf in random
order instead of in the order of arguments to the .dom file MAKE (which
is the logical way for it to happen).   When ed.ee appeared in the NRS
mail addressed to user@ee was expanded to user@ed.ee instead of user@hw.ee.
Jim has a fix for this which will be included in the kit when it arrives.

BTW, I've not tried the glasgow modified version of the .cf kit.
Since Jim Reid mentioned that this information about getting the package
should be available to new people should info on both versions be
available?   Should someone who has used both write a couple of paras
explaining why there are 2 versions, what the differences are, etc?

FTP details:
--- --------

Hostname: uk.ac.hw.cs
Username: guest
Password: your-mail-address (for our information)
Filename: <FTP>sm-1.4partn (where n is 1-5 - see below)

-rw-r--r--  1 jim         41852 Oct 26  1987 sm-1.4part1
-rw-r--r--  1 jim         19135 Oct 26  1987 sm-1.4part2
-rw-r--r--  1 jim         20666 Oct 26  1987 sm-1.4part3
-rw-r--r--  1 jim         31350 Oct 26  1987 sm-1.4part4
-rw-r--r--  1 jim         43666 Oct 26  1987 sm-1.4part5

MAIL details:
---- --------

send mail to postmaster@uk.ac.hw.cs

GOSSIP
------

Any day now we may have to begin referring to him as *Dr* Jim Crammond.
Watch this space!

tgr@picuxa.UUCP (Dr. Emilio Lizardo) (10/22/88)

In article <8810171058.AA00829@stracs.cs.strath.ac.uk> jim@cs.strath.ac.uk (Jim Reid) writes:
:You are going wrong on two counts. Firstly, you're using (or adapting)
:a vendor-supplied "generic" sendmail.cf file. This is almost always a
:mistake as they invariably fail to do what they claim to. Secondly,
:you're not using Jim Crammond's configuration file compiler kit. This
:makes configuring sendmail a doddle and has the advantage of being
:easily maintainable. It will cure your sendmail troubles, so get hold
:of a copy and use it!

Can this be posted? I, too, am stuck with a vendor-supplied sendmail.cf,
and I wouldn't want to try to edit it.

If it will not be posted, is it available by anonymous uucp (no FTP here)
from any site within the US?  I really don't want to have to download
software from the UK if I can avoid it.

Thanks in advance...

--
Tom Gillespie  ( ...att!picuxa!tgr) | (attmail!tgillespie) (201) 952-1178
AT&T/EDS Product Integration Center  299 Jefferson Rd. Parsippany NJ 07054

"Don't take life so serious ... it ain't nohow permanent."  -- Walt Kelly

carlo@electro.UUCP (Carlo Sgro) (10/24/88)

>:Secondly,
>:you're not using Jim Crammond's configuration file compiler kit.
>
>Can this be posted? I, too, am stuck with a vendor-supplied sendmail.cf,
>and I wouldn't want to try to edit it.

I also request a posting of it.  I tried to send mail to jim@cs.strath.ac.uk
without success.

--

Carlo Sgro                              NET POLICE WARNING:  .signatures that
watmath!watcgl!electro!carlo            are too long will be trunc

taylor@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Jem Taylor) (10/26/88)

In article <684@picuxa.UUCP> tgr@picuxa.UUCP (Dr. Emilio Lizardo) writes:

>Can this be posted? I, too, am stuck with a vendor-supplied sendmail.cf,
>and I wouldn't want to try to edit it.
>
>If it will not be posted, is it available by anonymous uucp (no FTP here)
>from any site within the US?  I really don't want to have to download
>software from the UK if I can avoid it.
>
>Tom Gillespie  ( ...att!picuxa!tgr) | (attmail!tgillespie) (201) 952-1178

We are working on a new improved version 2.0 for release in December; I
will post that version then. If you *really* want the radically inferior
current version now, then

in the UK and EUNET send mail to info-server@uk.ac.glasgow.cs to get
instructions. You want request:sources, topic: sendmail-1.6

in the US (the info-server will not talk to you if it would
cost money to do so) mail me and I will mail it you or post it depending
on demand. Remember the new version will be out in about 8 weeks and will
be posted; upgrading from 1.6 to 2.0 will require almost as much effort as
installing either from scratch.

via UUCP send mail to info-server@glasgow.uucp via mcvax

-Jem Taylor.

PS:-) what are all these alternative paths people keep quoting in their
.signatures? We just reply to mail *and it works*.
--
ARPANet:taylor@cs.glasgow.ac.uk		| Mail:	J.A.Taylor, Computing Science,
JANET:	taylor@uk.ac.glasgow.cs		|	Glasgow University,

jim@cs.strath.ac.uk (Jim Reid) (10/26/88)

*
* Can this be posted? I, too, am stuck with a vendor-supplied sendmail.cf,
* and I wouldn't want to try to edit it.
*
* If it will not be posted, is it available by anonymous uucp (no FTP here)
* from any site within the US?  I really don't want to have to download
* software from the UK if I can avoid it.

Jim Crammond's sendmail compiler kit was posted to comp.sources.unix
some time ago. It must have been earlier than Volume 7 of that newsgroup.
Our local comp.sources.unix archive site only goes back as far as Volume
7 and it isn't there. There was a patch supplied as article v08i051, so
the initial posting must have preceded that. You should be able to fetch
the kit from your nearest archive site that keeps the older stuff.

I will post the configuration file compiler kit in a week or so to
comp.mail.sendmail on two conditions:
	(a) nobody objects to me doing this
	(b) there is a general demand for it to be posted.
If you agree or disagree with me posting it, *MAIL* me. Don't post
followup news articles.

The whole kit is about 150Kbytes in size. If posting the kit is voted
down, I'm prepared to mail it to a few overseas sites who are willing
to redistribute it.

		Jim
--
ARPA:	jim%cs.strath.ac.uk@ucl-cs.arpa, jim@cs.strath.ac.uk
UUCP:	jim@strath-cs.uucp, ...!uunet!mcvax!ukc!strath-cs!jim

"JANET domain ordering is swapped around so's there'd be some use for rev(1)!"

jv@mhres.mh.nl (Johan Vromans) (10/26/88)

From article <151@electro.UUCP>, by carlo@electro.UUCP (Carlo Sgro):
+>:Secondly,
+>:you're not using Jim Crammond's configuration file compiler kit.
+>
+
+ I also request a posting of it.  I tried to send mail to jim@cs.strath.ac.uk
+ without success.

Or use smail version 3. Lots of configuration files, but
understandable and maintainable.

--
	Johan

davew@gvgpsa.GVG.TEK.COM (David C. White) (10/28/88)

In article <2520@mhres.mh.nl> jv@mhres.mh.nl (Johan Vromans) writes:
>From article <151@electro.UUCP>, by carlo@electro.UUCP (Carlo Sgro):
+>+>:Secondly,
+>+>:you're not using Jim Crammond's configuration file compiler kit.
+>+>
+>+>Can this be posted? I, too, am stuck with a vendor-supplied sendmail.cf,
+>+>and I wouldn't want to try to edit it.
+>+
+>+ I also request a posting of it.  I tried to send mail to jim@cs.strath.ac.uk
+>+ without success.
+>
+>Or use smail version 3. Lots of configuration files, but
+>understandable and maintainable.

OK.  I've been hearing and reading about smail Ver. 3 for months now.
Does this mean that it is finally available?  If so, where can I get
it?

--
Dave White	Grass Valley Group, Inc.   PHONE: +1 916.478.3052
P.O. Box 1114  	Grass Valley, CA  95945    davew@gvgpsa.gvg.tek.com

msir_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Mark Sirota) (11/01/88)

In article <1244@stracs.cs.strath.ac.uk> jim@cs.strath.ac.uk writes:
>In article <684@picuxa.UUCP> tgr@picuxa.UUCP (Dr. Emilio Lizardo) writes:
>> In article <8810171058.AA00829@stracs.cs.strath.ac.uk> jim@cs.strath.ac.uk (Jim Reid) writes:
>>> you're not using Jim Crammond's configuration file compiler kit. This
>>> makes configuring sendmail a doddle and has the advantage of being
>>> easily maintainable.
>
> Jim Crammond's sendmail compiler kit was posted to comp.sources.unix
> some time ago. It must have been earlier than Volume 7 of that newsgroup.

Are you folks talking about Ease?  Ease is a nice sendmail.cf compiler kit
which was also posted to comp.sources.unix a while back.  I found it several
months ago on uunet.uu.net, I think, in the comp.sources.unix directory.  I
believe it was in Volume 10, but I could be wrong.  There was also a patch
in some later volume.

I don't see Jim Crammond's name in the Ease documentation anywhere, so
perhaps this is something different, but functionally it sounds like the
same thing.
--
Mark Sirota
 msir_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (rochester!ur-cc!msir_ltd)

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (11/02/88)

In article <1050@gvgpsa.GVG.TEK.COM> davew@gvgpsa.GVG.TEK.COM (David C. White) writes:
| [....]
|OK.  I've been hearing and reading about smail Ver. 3 for months now.
|Does this mean that it is finally available?  If so, where can I get
|it?
|--
|Dave White	Grass Valley Group, Inc.   PHONE: +1 916.478.3052
|P.O. Box 1114  	Grass Valley, CA  95945    davew@gvgpsa.gvg.tek.com

I'm quite interested to find 'smail 3.0' also.
Please post any info on how
to get it thru mail or uucp...

Thanks,
--
Bruce Becker        Toronto, Ont.
Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu, becker@ziebmef.UUCP

moran@tron.UUCP (Harvey R Moran) (11/03/88)

In article <1244@stracs.cs.strath.ac.uk> jim@cs.strath.ac.uk writes:
>In article <684@picuxa.UUCP> tgr@picuxa.UUCP (Dr. Emilio Lizardo) writes:
>* In article <8810171058.AA00829@stracs.cs.strath.ac.uk> jim@cs.strath.ac.uk (Jim Reid) writes:
>Jim Crammond's sendmail compiler kit was posted to comp.sources.unix
>some time ago. It must have been earlier than Volume 7 of that newsgroup.
>Our local comp.sources.unix archive site only goes back as far as Volume
>7 and it isn't there. There was a patch supplied as article v08i051, so
>the initial posting must have preceded that. You should be able to fetch
>the kit from your nearest archive site that keeps the older stuff.

The patch reference was enough to be able to look it up.  It is called
UK-1.4 and comes in 5 parts.  It is in volume 4 of comp.sources unix I
found the listing in the available files list from "oncoast" which I
got back in May of this year.  Unfortunately "oncoast" has had a disk
crash since then and may or may not be back on the air.  I saw the
notice that is was down, but if there was a notice that is came back
up, I missed it.  The patch refered to is called "uk-1.4.pch.Z" and is
(as was said) in volume 9; "oncoast" lists it as 9003 bytes.

         Harvey Moran        moran%tron.UUCP@umbc3.UMD.EDU