[comp.mail.sendmail] DEBUG

Andrew.Findlay@brunel.ac.uk (Andrew Findlay) (11/18/88)

| Having recompiled our sendmail sources without the DEBUG option, I now find
| that I can't run sendmail in test mode (with -bt args). From reading the
| documentation I didn't expect this. Are the rest of you experiencing this,
| and if so has anyone got a fix yet?
|
| Richard Hopkins (HokinsRJ@uk.ac.bristol)

I do not have this problem. (I am using IDA Sendmail though - what
version do you have?)

Andrew

|  From Andrew Findlay at Brunel University, Uxbridge, UB8 3PH, UK  |
|  Andrew.Findlay@brunel.ac.uk          phone: +44 895 74000 x2512  |

Hopkins@np1a.bristol.ac.uk (Richard Hopkins) (11/18/88)

msir_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Mark Sirota) (11/21/88)

In article <13014.8811181138@brahma.cs.hw.ac.uk> Hopkins@np1a.bristol.ac.uk (Richard Hopkins) writes:
> Having recompiled our sendmail sources without the DEBUG option, I now find
> that I can't run sendmail in test mode (with -bt args). From reading the
> documentation I didn't expect this. Are the rest of you experiencing this,
> and if so has anyone got a fix yet?

The problem is that you don't want to compile without the DEBUG option.
What you want to do is to ifdef out the "debug" command from the command
table in srvrsmtp.c.  That way, you can't enter debug mode remotely, but
all the debugging code is still in there.
--
Mark Sirota
 msir_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (rochester!ur-cc!msir_ltd)

vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul Vixie) (11/21/88)

In <368@ur-cc.UUCP> msir_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Mark Sirota) writes:
# The problem is that you don't want to compile without the DEBUG option.
# What you want to do is to ifdef out the "debug" command from the command
# table in srvrsmtp.c.  That way, you can't enter debug mode remotely, but
# all the debugging code is still in there.

I don't agree.  I want to be able to enter DEBUG remotely, both on my own
systems and on remote systems.  It makes it easier to see what's being done
to an address, and I can then tune my local sendmail.cf to squeak by.  This
is lots of fun with HPLABS, who likes to royally rotate everything before
and after they look at it.

The best thing to do is to look for the "tTd(0,1)"'s in the code and remove
the ones you don't like, especially the one that allows mailing to pipes.
(Hint: there are other rude things allowed with DEBUG turned on, and there
are other ways to turn it on besides the SMTP DEBUG command).
--
Paul Vixie
Work:    vixie@decwrl.dec.com    decwrl!vixie    +1 415 853 6600