[comp.mail.sendmail] what's the latest official version of sendmail?

mp@andante.UUCP (Mark Plotnick) (11/18/88)

I've been reading through the sendmail source a bit, looking for
security holes similar to that offered by the now-famous DEBUG command,
and I figured that before I go too far in fixing bugs I should get a
more recent version (we have 5.51, which came on the 4.3BSD tape).  Is
there one, or should I wait until the powers-that-be here purchase
4.3bsd-tahoe?

Also, if anyone has ported the 4.3bsd-based sendmail to 4.2bsd, I'd
like to know about any problems that were encountered (we have to run
4.2bsd on some of our systems because the 4.3 massbus disk driver
handles ECC errors incorrectly when using Emulex controllers, but
that's another story).  Someone here who ported the 4.2bsd version to
4.3 said that the syslog() log levels had to be changed, so I
imagine there are similar problems when porting in the other direction.

	Mark Plotnick
	allegra!mp

vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul Vixie) (11/18/88)

# [...] more recent version (we have 5.51, which came on the 4.3BSD tape).  Is
# there one, or should I wait until the powers-that-be here purchase 4.3-tahoe?

The latest official release is always the one in ucbarpa's ~ftp area, just
about.  The one that went out with 4.3-tahoe was 5.59, and that plus the most
recent patches in comp.bugs.4bsd.ucb-fixes (to repair some wormholes) is the
one everyone thinks of as "most current" as of this instant.

Latest news from CSRG is that they are looking at the IDA stuff for possible
inclusion into a future release of sendmail.  Don't quote me, and don't bug
them, but don't be surprised if this happens in the next quarter or two.
--
Paul Vixie
Work:    vixie@decwrl.dec.com    decwrl!vixie    +1 415 853 6600

vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul Vixie) (11/18/88)

# The latest official release is always the one in ucbarpa's ~ftp area [...]

Note that sendmail is publically available.  Not "public domain", since that
has some legal connotations that CSRG and the UC Regents don't want to deal
with.  But it comes mostly to the same thing: you can use sendmail, give away
or sell source or binaries, supported or unsupported.  These are not the exact
terms of the license; see the headers in the comments for the exact details.

But anyone who wants sendmail and can physically get a copy of it can have it
and use it, without breaking any laws or pissing anybody at CSRG off.

Note that I am not a spokesman of CSRG (or anyone else, for that matter). You
should consider these claims unsubstantiated until you look at the comments
at the top of the sendmail source files, or until you hear from someone who
_is_ a spokesman for CSRG.  But since so many people think that sendmail is
a restricted piece of code, I thought I'd amplify my own understanding of its
status.
--

Lovstrand.EuroPARC@Xerox.COM (Lennart) (11/19/88)

In article <13731@andante.UUCP> mp@andante.UUCP (Mark Plotnick) writes:
> Also, if anyone has ported the 4.3bsd-based sendmail to 4.2bsd, I'd
> like to know about any problems that were encountered [...]

As Paul Vixie previously said, the latest release is 5.59 and is
available from ucbarpa.berkeley.edu:4.3/sendmail.tar.Z via anonymous
ftp.  I don't know about vanilla 4.2, but I didn't have much problems
making the IDA Kit [which is based on 5.59] run under SunOS 3.x -- in
addition to removing the third parameter of the openlog() call in main.c
to, all I had to do was to remove the unsetenv() call in main.c and to
change the way the local time zone was gathered in arpadate.c to use
localtime() instead of timezone().

This gives a grand total of two new #ifdef sun's and one #ifdef LOG_MAIL
[for the openlog() call].  Not quite what I would call "#ifdef sun all
over the place", as a previous writer to this news group has claimed.
(Sorry, had to get that out)

Note that you'll need bind 4.8 to run sendmail 5.59, but I think it
will compile without any problems.  On the other hand, you will then
also need to recompile 4.2's syslog.c since the host address field has
changed.

Good Luck,
--Lennart <Lovstrand.EuroPARC@Xerox.COM>
Rank Xerox EuroPARC, 61 Regent St, Cambridge, CB2 1AB, England.

guy@auspex.UUCP (Guy Harris) (11/22/88)

 >I don't know about vanilla 4.2, but I didn't have much problems
 >making the IDA Kit [which is based on 5.59] run under SunOS 3.x -- in
 >addition to removing the third parameter of the openlog() call in main.c
 >to, all I had to do was to remove the unsetenv() call in main.c and to
 >change the way the local time zone was gathered in arpadate.c to use
 >localtime() instead of timezone().

You will probably have to do all three to make it run under 4.2BSD.

The first change is a change between 4.2's "openlog" and 4.3's "openlog"
(since SunOS 4.0 uses 4.3's "openlog", it shouldn't be necessary under
SunOS 4.0).

The second change (which I presume you meant the other way around -
change to use "timezone()" instead of "localtime()") is a change between
V7's/4.2's/4.3's time zone handling code and 4.3-tahoe's time zone
handling code (SunOS 4.0 uses the Arthur Olson time zone code, with
"tm_zone" added, just as 4.3-tahoe does, so this change shouldn't be
necessary under SunOS 4.0).

Note that some parts of 4.3BSD were in SunOS 3.2 and later, so you may
run into some more changes that have to be made to make it work under
vanilla 4.2BSD.

prc@ERBE.SE (Robert Claeson) (11/23/88)

In article <451@arisia.Xerox.COM>, Lovstrand.EuroPARC@Xerox.COM (Lennart) writes:
> As Paul Vixie previously said, the latest release is 5.59 and is
> available from ucbarpa.berkeley.edu:4.3/sendmail.tar.Z via anonymous
> ftp.

Beware if you get your sendmail 5.59 from another place, though.
I did so, and it obviously wasn't the same as the sendmail now
available at Berkeley.EDU, even though they both say "5.59".

--
Robert Claeson
ERBE DATA AB

kre@cs.mu.oz.au (Robert Elz) (11/27/88)

writes (about putting 5.59 on SunOS):
> all I had to do was to  ... and to
> change the way the local time zone was gathered in arpadate.c to use
> localtime() instead of timezone().

No .. this is a BUG, its always been a sendmail bug, and it should be
fixed.  RFC822 defines exactly 5 3 letter zone names (and the daylight
saving equivalents for the 4 US zones defined), plus "UT", the US military
time 1 letter names, and numeric offsets.

Taking whatever the system has defined the zone name to be, and truncating
that to 3 characters is not a sensible thing to do.

I have modified arpadate.c to generate only the numeric offset (and
consequently gotten rid of the absurd code (sorry Teus) that knew what
the European time zone names would be, and converted those back into
numeric offsets).  This code should work on any system with both localtime()
and gmtime(), and not need special case ifdef's for suns.

I will send the code to Lennart, and to Berkeley.  Hopefully it will turn
up in some future release of sendmail.  If someone wants they could
put special cases in for the known approved zone names, but there doesn't
seem to be any particularly good reason, the numeric offset form is
always acceptable.

kre