[comp.mail.sendmail] tcp-ok mailer

msir@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Mark Sirota) (12/28/88)

In several of the sendmail.cf's I've got in front of me here, coming from
all over the country, I find a mailer called "tcp-ok".  Its definition is
identical to that of the "tcp" mailer.

In one of the configuration files, it is accompanied by a comment:

	# "tcp-ok" mailer bypasses the uucp->arpa forwarding check

I see no mention of this in any of the sendmail documentation.  Is this for
real?
--
Mark Sirota - University of Rochester, Rochester, NY
 Internet: msir@cc.rochester.edu

msir@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Mark Sirota) (12/29/88)

In article <572@ur-cc.UUCP> msir@cc.rochester.edu (Mark Sirota) writes:
> In several of the sendmail.cf's I've got in front of me here, coming from
> all over the country, I find a mailer called "tcp-ok".  Its definition is
> identical to that of the "tcp" mailer.

I posted that thinking that perhaps tcp-ok was some sort of special case
in sendmail.  After further investigation and a couple of responses (thank
you), I've determined that these are just leftovers for some older version
of the configuration files I have.  Those configuration files that define
it either define it just like the "tcp" mailer or only use one of the two.

I figure that it must have been in one of the Berkeley samples sometime,
and made it this far, even though it's now vestigial.
--

akay@cadev4.intel.com (Allen Kay) (12/29/88)

In article <572@ur-cc.UUCP> msir@cc.rochester.edu (Mark Sirota) writes:
>In several of the sendmail.cf's I've got in front of me here, coming from
>all over the country, I find a mailer called "tcp-ok".  Its definition is
>identical to that of the "tcp" mailer.
>
>In one of the configuration files, it is accompanied by a comment:
>
>	# "tcp-ok" mailer bypasses the uucp->arpa forwarding check

If the mailer definition of "tcp-ok" is the same as "tcp", there is no
reason for them to be different.  The name of the mailers are arbitrary.
For example, "tcp" mailer at our site is called "smtp" but I've seen some
sendmail.cf files call it "ethernet").  The difference might be how they
are resolved in rule set zero (i.e. the include file of the hosts these
mailers can reached might be different).
Disclaimer: The above are my personal opinions, and in no way represent
the opinions of Intel Corporation.

Internet: akay@cadev4.intel.com