[comp.mail.sendmail] priority...

hubcap@hubcap.UUCP (Mike Marshall) (01/01/89)

Does anyone do much with priorities in sendmail? I can vaguely imagine using
them locally for some purpose, but unless one does have such a scheme set up,
is there any reason to have them in one's cf file? I'm trying to strip out
some spooge in mine that only seems to be there for historical reasons.

I don't see any mention of "Priority:" headers in 822...

-Mike Marshall       hubcap@hubcap.clemson.edu

wisner@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Bill Wisner) (01/01/89)

A few mailing lists I've been on have had filters that automatically added

If a system has a large, clogged mail queue, it might be Very Useful
to be able to push a message to an administrator to the top of the list.

around. In fact, they should be used more.

All the canned Sendmail configurations have a dinky little list of only
three or four priorities. Smail 3.1 comes with five. I wouldn't mind
seeing more Sendmail people adding all of these to their configurations.
Smail 3.1 associates each grade with a single character, similar to UUCP
grades, but they should by easily translatable into Sendmail numbers.

9	special-delivery
A	air-mail
C	first-class
a	bulk
n	junk

ccdan@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu (Dan Dorough) (01/01/89)

In article <3999@hubcap.UUCP> hubcap@hubcap.UUCP (Mike Marshall) writes:
> Does anyone do much with priorities in sendmail? I can vaguely imagine using
> them locally for some purpose, but unless one does have such a scheme set up,
> is there any reason to have them in one's cf file?

for priorities less than zero, sendmail will not bother to
return bounced messages on failure.  i have a few "junk"
mailing lists here with lots (>50) of recipients, and i
use "Priority: junk" to short-circuit a lot of failed mail
trash.  (if junk mail dies, it dies.)  fairly useful, in
a limited way.

--dan dorough, ucdavis systems programmer, ccdan@ucdavis.edu