[comp.mail.sendmail] Sendmail in Sun environment

johnr@systech.uucp (John Reed) (01/06/89)

in /etc/rc.local:

/bin/domainname systech.COM

                          E-net
          |                       |
          |                       |
     -------------         ---------------
     | Sun4-280  |         |  Sun2-160   |
     |           |         |             |                    --------------
     |  "fred"   |         |   "sun2"    |    uucp serial     |  Masscomp  |
     |           |         |             |____________________|   MC-500   |
     |           |         |             |                    |            |
     |           |         |             |                    |  "systech" |
     -------------         ---------------                    |            |
                                                              |            |
                                                              --------------

Sending mail to user "jr" on the Masscomp from "fred" (Sun4-280) with
this invocation:

	mail systech\!jr@sun2

results in the following header for the mail received by "jr" on the Masscomp:

From nuucp Thu Jan  5 16:02:56 1989
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 89 16:05:09 PST
From: sun2!fred!johnr (John Reed)
To: sun2!systech!jr
Subject: Test header

QUESTION:
---------

the "Received:" line that contains "sun2.systech.COM.COM" seems incorrect.
Should'nt it be: sun2.systech.COM

the "From:" line that contains sun2!fred!johnr also seems incorrect.
Should'nt it be: sun2!johnr@fred.systech.COM

It seems that I am doing some fundamentally wrong things with sendmail,
yet I followed the Sun documentation to the letter.

Can anybody provide me with some help??  It would be greatly appreciated.

John Reed
{ucsd,uunet}!systech!johnr