[comp.mail.sendmail] Do I send to "user" or "user@host"?

msir@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Mark Sirota) (01/07/89)

Which of the following is technically correct?

(A)  R$+<@$+>	$#tcp$@$2$:$1		user is "user"
(B)  R$+<@$+>	$#tcp$@$2$:$1@$2	user is "user@host"

--
Mark Sirota - University of Rochester, Rochester, NY
 Internet: msir@cc.rochester.edu

karl@triceratops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) (01/07/89)

msir@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Mark Sirota) writes:
   Which of the following is technically correct?
   (A)  R$+<@$+>	$#tcp$@$2$:$1		user is "user"
   (B)  R$+<@$+>	$#tcp$@$2$:$1@$2	user is "user@host"

I argue strongly in favor of the most precise definition at all times,
i.e., (B).  Consider that sendmail might have found that $2 requires
MX delivery Elsewhere.  You need to tell Elsewhere where you really
meant for it to go ($2).  $1@$2 and $1@Elsewhere are not necessarily
the same person.

--Karl

chet@pirate.CWRU.EDU (Chet Ramey) (01/07/89)

In article <618@ur-cc.UUCP> msir@cc.rochester.edu (Mark Sirota) writes:
>Which of the following is technically correct?

>(A)  R$+<@$+>	$#tcp$@$2$:$1		user is "user"
>(B)  R$+<@$+>	$#tcp$@$2$:$1@$2	user is "user@host"

(B)  is correct (at least in my opinion)

Chet Ramey			"His efforts in support of this worthy cause
Network Management Group	 were warmly applauded by the doctors; several
Case Western Reserve University	 nurses also gave him the clap."
chet@{cwjcc,pirate}.CWRU.EDU			--  "Weekend Warriors"

cfe+@andrew.cmu.edu (Craig F. Everhart) (01/09/89)

Right--(b) is correct, sending to ``user@host''.

Why?  Many philosophical reasons, but one quite pragmatic one: if your delivery
agent gets mail to mail domain ``host'' by dropping it off at the mail relay
``mumble'' (that it found via MX records or some such), then (b) is the only
paradigm that allows the server for the machine ``mumble'' to distinguish
``user@host'' from ``user@mumble''.