[comp.mail.sendmail] is sendmail V5.61 available yet ??

stevens@hsi.UUCP (Richard Stevens) (12/21/88)

Anyone know when and where Version 5.61 of sendmail will
be available ??  It was supposed to be out on Dec. 12.

	Richard Stevens
	Health Systems International, New Haven, CT
	   stevens@hsi.uu.net
           ... { uunet | yale } ! hsi ! stevens

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (12/23/88)

From article <226@hsi86.hsi.UUCP>, by stevens@hsi.UUCP (Richard Stevens):
> Anyone know when and where Version 5.61 of sendmail will
> be available ??  It was supposed to be out on Dec. 12.

There is a file ~ftp/4.3/sendmail on ucbarpa.berkeley.edu that says:

Sendmail isn't quite ready yet.  We're working on it,
and it shouldn't be long.

Keith Bostic
---
I guess they know millions of us are just waiting to deluge their
machine with ftp connections :-)

Paul DuBois
dubois@primate.wisc.edu	rhesus!dubois
bin@primate.wisc.edu	rhesus!bin

tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) (12/23/88)

In article <226@hsi86.hsi.UUCP>, stevens@hsi (Richard Stevens) writes:
>Anyone know when and where Version 5.61 of sendmail will
>be available ??  It was supposed to be out on Dec. 12.

on ucbarpa.berkeley.edu:
-r--r--r--  1 0        1200          108 Dec 12 12:44 4.3/sendmail

Which contains:
------
Sendmail isn't quite ready yet.  We're working on it,
and it shouldn't be long.

Keith Bostic
415-642-4948
------

	...tad

--
Tad Guy         <tadguy@cs.odu.edu>     Old Dominion University, Norfolk, VA

paul@devon.UUCP (Paul Sutcliffe Jr.) (01/02/89)

In article <456@rhesus.primate.wisc.edu>, bin@primate.wisc.edu writes:
+---------
| From article <226@hsi86.hsi.UUCP>, by stevens@hsi.UUCP (Richard Stevens):
| > Anyone know when and where Version 5.61 of sendmail will
| > be available ??  It was supposed to be out on Dec. 12.
|
| There is a file ~ftp/4.3/sendmail on ucbarpa.berkeley.edu that says:
|
| [ text deleted ]
+---------

My assumption from this is that ~ftp/4.3/sendmail is where one would
normally ftp the sources from.  Will any effort be taken by anyone to
make 5.61 available to UUCP-only sites via anon. uucp or e-mail?

- paul

--
Paul Sutcliffe, Jr.  <paul@devon.UUCP>	|  How many whales do you have to
     ...!uunet!cbmvax!devon!paul	|      save to get a toaster?

csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) (01/03/89)

In article <1292@devon.UUCP> paul@devon.UUCP (Paul Sutcliffe Jr.) writes:
>My assumption from this is that ~ftp/4.3/sendmail is where one would
>normally ftp the sources from.  Will any effort be taken by anyone to
>make 5.61 available to UUCP-only sites via anon. uucp or e-mail?

UUNet always has the latest Berkeley everything available, and I will add
sendmail 5.61 to Pyramid's source archive. So UUNet customers and sites
connected to pyramid will be able to help themselves.

Note that anonymous UUCP is a serious security hole, so very few large sites
will mess with it. And sendmail is much larger than anything that should ever
be transferred via e-mail.

<csg>

honey@mailrus.cc.umich.edu (peter honeyman) (01/03/89)

Carl S. Gutekunst writes:
>Note that anonymous UUCP is a serious security hole

how so?

	peter

karl@triceratops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) (01/03/89)

paul@devon.UUCP (Paul Sutcliffe Jr.) writes:
   Will any effort be taken by anyone to
   make 5.61 available to UUCP-only sites via anon. uucp or e-mail?

It'll show up on osu-cis.

--Karl

csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) (01/18/89)

Carl S. Gutekunst writes:
>Note that anonymous UUCP is a serious security hole

Peter Honeyman asks:
>how so?

Because of the loss of authentication. See the ongoing discussion in
news.sysadmin.

<csg>

honey@mailrus.cc.umich.edu (peter honeyman) (01/19/89)

bah.  there is complete authentication with anonymous uucp -- the
caller is authenticated as an anonymous caller.  as noted in the other
newsgroup, it's easy to restrict access with anonymous uucp:  you don't
let anyone request any files, you don't send them spooled stuff unless
you placed the call.  in fact, these are the default permissions in
honey danber.  it is assumed (by at least one of the uucp troika) that
a sys admin who enables anonymous uucp access and sends out spooled
files on the basis of a claimed ^PSsysname just doesn't care whether
the mail is delivered reliably.  (i am one such sys admin, just so you
know they exist.)

	peter