[comp.mail.sendmail] mail to /dev/null

clegg@tps1.dg.com (Alan Clegg) (02/03/89)

I am having trouble with an alias on our system... one user is aliased to
/dev/null...  I suppose this should send his mail into the twilight zone,
but I can't get my sendmail.cf to understand that.

Does anybody have any idea what I can do to make sure mail to /dev/null goes
away?

Even a better question... Is it legal to alias somebody to /dev/null?

-abc
--------
        Alan Clegg                              //-n-\\
                                        _____---=======---_____
     clegg@dg-rtp.dg.com            ====____\   /.. ..\   /____====
  ...!mcnc!rti!xyzzy!clegg        //         ---\__O__/---         \\

jos@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (Jos Vos) (02/06/89)

In article <3244@xyzzy.UUCP> clegg@dg-rtp.dg.com (Alan Clegg) writes:

>Does anybody have any idea what I can do to make sure mail to /dev/null goes
>away?
Just put in the /usr/lib/aliases file a line with

	nobody:		/dev/null

and run "newaliases". It works fine.
What has the sendmail.cf file you mentioned to do with that?

>Even a better question... Is it legal to alias somebody to /dev/null?
It's up to you to decide what to do with your mail.
I use "nobody" as a test address.
But you shouldn't forward "postmaster" to /dev/null, please!

--
-- ######   Jos Vos   ######   Internet   jos@idca.tds.philips.nl   ######
-- ######             ######   UUCP         ...!mcvax!philapd!jos   ######

clegg@tps1.dg.com (Alan Clegg) (02/07/89)

Perhaps I was not clear in my previous posting.. My problem is:

There is a user at our site that is in /usr/lib/aliases as
		joe:	/dev/null

My sendmail.cf continues to barf on mail sent to that user.  Is there
any special thing I need to do to make it work?

I don't think that

		R$*/$*		$#prog$@$1/$2

is the right idea....  any ideas for me?

Thanks,
-abc

childers@avsd.UUCP (Richard Childers) (02/08/89)

clegg@dg-rtp.dg.com (Alan Clegg) writes:

>I am having trouble with an alias on our system... one user is aliased to
>/dev/null...  I suppose this should send his mail into the twilight zone,
>but I can't get my sendmail.cf to understand that.

What kind of system ? And what happens when you try ?

>Even a better question... Is it legal to alias somebody to /dev/null?

It is with the machines I work with, VAXen running 4.3, and Suns. I think
it's set up like this, though :

		nobody:		/dev/null
			.
			.
			.
		somebody:	nobody

Of course, make sure the file exists, and the permissions are correct, and
that the filesystem is mounted read-write, and a few other things.

>        Alan Clegg                              //-n-\\
>  ...!mcnc!rti!xyzzy!clegg        //         ---\__O__/---         \\

-- richard

--
 *       "Do not look at my outward shape, but take what is in my hand."      *
 *                            -- Jalaludin Rumi, 1107-1173                    *