[comp.mail.sendmail] Sendmail 5.61 prob

mtsu@blake.acs.washington.edu (Montana State) (02/06/89)

Ok, I've swiped the sendmail5.61+ida1.2.8 from uxc.cso.uiuc.edu, and
in the middle of compiling conf.c, it bombs with FSCALE and FSHIFT
undefined..  I assume these are numbers to scale the values in avenrun[0]
which must be the load average, but what the heck are the values supposed
to be??  They're not defined in conf.h...

Again, if too simple, replies to icsu6000@caesar.cs.montana.edu or
utah-gr!mts-cs!icsu6000

debra@alice.UUCP (Paul De Bra) (02/06/89)

In article <788@blake.acs.washington.edu> mtsu@blake.UUCP (Montana State) writes:
>Ok, I've swiped the sendmail5.61+ida1.2.8 from uxc.cso.uiuc.edu, and
>in the middle of compiling conf.c, it bombs with FSCALE and FSHIFT
>undefined..  I assume these are numbers to scale the values in avenrun[0]
>which must be the load average, but what the heck are the values supposed
>to be??  They're not defined in conf.h...

You can always get rid of some of that code.
The reason sendmail looks at avenrun is to find out how busy the system is.
It tries to be "friendly" by not spending cpu-cycles on mail delivery if the
system is very busy.
If your system is to be used primarily for mail (yes there are such systems)
and other activities are considered less important this sendmail behaviour
is not even desirable.

Paul.
|debra@research.att.com   | uunet!research!debra     |

paul@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (02/10/89)

I ran into this on a Ultrix system myself.  The problem is that avenrun[]
is either a float or a long and the arithmetic operations to it in
getla() differ significantly.  The fix is to grep the type of avenrun in
your /usr/include/*.h (or /usr/include/sys/*.h) files, then change the
#ifdef in conf.c to use the correct type.

Paul Pomes
UIUC CSO