[comp.mail.sendmail] Included aliases in sendmail

pcolmer@acorn.co.uk (Philip Colmer) (02/22/89)

I am running sendmail under BSD 4.3 and trying to use the
"include" alias facility. In case this isn't clear, this
is where you can have a file of mail names and the alias
file contains a entry of the form:

filealias: ":include:/usr/users/pcolmer/file"

and sending mail to "filealias" should result in mail being
sent to all the names in the specified file.

Whenever I try this, however, the mail system complains that
":include:/usr/users/pcolmer/file" is not a known user.

How can I get this very useful facility to work?

Philip Colmer
Acorn Computers Ltd
(pcolmer@acorn.co.uk)

gandalf@csli.STANFORD.EDU (Juergen Wagner) (02/23/89)

In article <719@acorn.co.uk> pcolmer@acorn.co.uk (Philip Colmer) groovily writes:
>filealias: ":include:/usr/users/pcolmer/file"
>How can I get this very useful facility to work?

Hmm... how about removing these double quotes around the :include: expression?

--
Juergen Wagner		   			gandalf@csli.stanford.edu
						 wagner@arisia.xerox.com

jos@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (Jos Vos) (02/23/89)

In article <719@acorn.co.uk> pcolmer@acorn.co.uk (Philip Colmer) writes:

>filealias: ":include:/usr/users/pcolmer/file"

>Whenever I try this, however, the mail system complains that
>":include:/usr/users/pcolmer/file" is not a known user.

Just remove the double quotes !!

--
-- ######   Jos Vos   ######   Internet   jos@idca.tds.philips.nl   ######
-- ######             ######   UUCP         ...!mcvax!philapd!jos   ######

steve@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Steve DeJarnett) (02/24/89)

In article <719@acorn.co.uk> pcolmer@acorn.co.uk (Philip Colmer) writes:
>I am running sendmail under BSD 4.3 and trying to use the
>"include" alias facility.
>
>filealias: ":include:/usr/users/pcolmer/file"
>
>and sending mail to "filealias" should result in mail being
>sent to all the names in the specified file.

	In our alias file, we have lines of the following form:

filealias::include:/usr/local/lib/aliases/staff

	Try doing it without the quotes, and it should work (at least, that's
my guess as to the problem.

	Steve