[comp.mail.sendmail] sendmail 5.61 won't deliver to local network, help

system@asuvax.asu.edu (Marc Lesure) (02/24/89)

I installed sendmail 5.61 and I lost mail deliver to my local network
(machines in the same domain).  When I run 5.61 on an address with the -bv
flag, sendmail says its deliverable.  Using -bt, the address parses
correctly.  But when I try to send mail, I get a 550 ... Host Unknown
message from MAIL-DAEMON.  Mail to any uucp or non-local domain site seems
to be deilvered fine.  Any ideas on what might be wrong?

I backed off to sendmail 5.58 and named 4.8 with little to no problems.

Marc Lesure / Arizona State University / Tempe, AZ
"Between the world of men and make-believe, I can be found..."
"False faces and meaningless chases, I travel alone..."
"And where do you go when you come to the end of your dream?"

UUCP:                ...!ncar!noao!asuvax!lesure
Internet/CSNET/ARPA: lesure@asuvax.asu.edu

woods@ncar.ucar.edu (Greg Woods) (02/24/89)

In article <546@asuvax.asu.edu> system@asuvax.asu.edu (Marc Lesure) writes:
>I installed sendmail 5.61 and I lost mail deliver to my local network
>(machines in the same domain).

  It probably has to do with your resolv.conf file. Make sure it has a
"domain" line. In addition, by invoking sendmail with the -bt flag and
also the -d0-99.4 flag, you get to see exactly what queries are being
made to your name server. I did this once, and saw things like
host.ucar.edu.ucar.edu (double domain sickness). Another thing you can do
is to fire up named with debugging. This will probably tell you what is
really happening.
  Another thing is that if you compile sendmail 5.61 without NO_WILDCARD_MX
defined, the only queries that ever seem to be made are for CNAMES. Of
course, if you do define NO_WILDCARD_MX, then you had better not have
a wildcard MX record for your domain, or every single query will succeed
even when it is bogus.

--Greg