nowicki@rose.Sun.COM (Bill Nowicki) (02/25/89)

	From: msir@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Mark Sirota)
	Date: 21 Feb 89 23:18:11 GMT

	Can anyone help me with this?  In a fairly recent posting of official
	fixes from Sun, there was a new sendmail/BIND setup.

	...  Any reason not to upgrade to this new thingie?

Of course I am biased, but please do give it a try.  The version in
uunet:~ftp/sun-fixes/ddn.tar.Z is essentially 5.59 plus the security
fixes from 5.61 (but minus the bugs introduced in 5.61), some IDA changes
(such as the pretty-printing of -bt output, multi-token classes, etc.
that were in SunOS 4.0), and some performance and YP enhancements that
Berkeley has not (yet?) adopted.

This is the version that we run on our Arpanet gateway, which delivers
about 10,000 messages a day throughout the Internet, and an internal
mailing-list expanding machine that handles over 100,000 messages a day.
So performance and relibility are emphasized over features.

	(1) Can I run this and get nameservice without running YP?

If you are running SunOS 4.x simply install the shared libraries like
libc_resolv.so.sun3 or .sun4 in that same directory.  If not, you need
to relink every program that uses gethostbyXXX (gee, that could be one
reason why we did shared libraries :-).

	(2) What's the difference between sendmail and sendmail.mx?
	Why would I not choose to run sendmail.mx?

sendmail.mx is linked with the resolver (and therefore can handle MX
records) while sendmail is linked with the standard gethostbyXX.  This
is described in the README file.  You are free to run sendmail.mx on
any machine which has a name server runnning or /etc/resolv.conf file
properly installed.  Since this is not as easy to install as we like
(yes, being worked on), if you have thousands of machines like us, you
can just keep the released sendmail on most of your machines, but
funnel all outgoing mail through a single gateway running sendmail.mx
to localize the sendmail.cf customizations to a smaller number of
machines.

	-- WIN