a header which looked like:

From: peyote.cactus.org!knutson (Jim Knutson)
To: members-at-large

When the message was finally delivered on milano, the message header
looked like:

From knutson@peyote.cactus.org Fri Mar 17 15:46:38 1989
From: knutson@peyote.cactus.org (Jim Knutson)
To: members-at-large@milano.sw.mcc.com

Now for the questions:

1. Is there a problem with using domained hostnames for uucp delivery?
   Should I be using the syntax user@domain, user@host.uucp or host!user?

2. Is the header being written correctly, or should the To: field be
   rewritten?  I already tried rewriting it to be peyote!members-at-large
   but then milano thinks the mail is supposed to be sent back to peyote.

3. Will the C flag on someones uucp mailer definition solve this and if so
   who needs the change (milano, right?)?
--
Jim Knutson
knutson@mcc.com

ecf_hap@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Andrew Poling) (03/21/89)

In article <2137@marconi.sw.mcc.com> knutson@marconi.sw.mcc.com (Jim Knutson) writes:
>I'm having a problem with rewriting the To: field when using an
>alias that includes delivery to a uucp neighbor.
[...]

>From: peyote.cactus.org!knutson (Jim Knutson)
>To: members-at-large
>
>When the message was finally delivered on milano, the message header
>looked like:
>
>From knutson@peyote.cactus.org Fri Mar 17 15:46:38 1989
>From: knutson@peyote.cactus.org (Jim Knutson)
>To: members-at-large@milano.sw.mcc.com

[...]

>3. Will the C flag on someones uucp mailer definition solve this and if so
>   who needs the change (milano, right?)?

It looks to me like milano is probably doing this in either their sender
ruleset or ruleset 4.  Milano probably sees this unqualified address going
out and tacks on it's (milano's) name assuming that it's (members-at-large)
a local name.  That's what my machine would do - is this wrong?

On the subject of the "C" flag: why is it applied (apparently) after all of
the rulesets?  In my config, this results in all "To:" addresses on the
local machine, which have been stripped of our hostname, getting the
sender's host.domain appended to them.  For that matter, when would this
flag actually be helpful?

Andy

andy@gollum.hcf.jhu.edu
ecf_hap@jhunix.UUCP