[comp.mail.sendmail] Why is my MX sendmail broken?

barnett@crdgw1.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett) (03/30/89)

sigh....

I must be doing something stupid.

I am using an Ultrix 3.0 machine as a gateway, and I rebooted it
recently. The sendmail file I am using bears little relation
to the configuration file supplied by DEC.

Anyhow, it seems that MX records aren't being used.
nslookup shows the proper mail forwarder, but mail keeps being
queued up on the gateway, with connection refused (for ecample).

Mail to machines that I can telnet to work properly.

strings /usr/lib/sendmail shows me
	1.1 (ULTRIX 7/17/87 (MXDOMAIN)

Do I have to do something special in my sendmail.cf file
to use the MX records? When I start it up?

nslookup works. Anyone have any clues?

--
Bruce G. Barnett	<barnett@crdgw1.ge.com>  a.k.a. <barnett@[192.35.44.4]>
			uunet!steinmetz!barnett, <barnett@steinmetz.ge.com>

In article <86@crdgw1.crd.ge.com>, barnett@crdgw1 (Bruce Barnett) writes:
>I must be doing something stupid.

Actually I was just ignorant. But I am getting much better now... :-)

Thanks you netters. Yes, I had local before bind in /etc/svcorder.
I didn't set up the bind service, and I am talking over the responsibilities
of the person who did.

Lucky Me :-)

--
Bruce G. Barnett	<barnett@crdgw1.ge.com>  a.k.a. <barnett@[192.35.44.4]>
			uunet!steinmetz!barnett, <barnett@steinmetz.ge.com>

avolio@decuac.dec.com (Frederick M. Avolio) (03/30/89)

Are you using the svcorder file?  If so, I bet you have local defined before bind,
dont you?

There is a known (reported and fixed) bug in the code which causes the bug you report.
Can you switch the order around (bind then local)?  Drop me email on this if that is
not an option.

ecf_hap@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Andrew Poling) (03/31/89)

In article <86@crdgw1.crd.ge.com> barnett@crdgw1.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett) writes:
[...]
>I am using an Ultrix 3.0 machine as a gateway, and I rebooted it
>recently. The sendmail file I am using bears little relation
>to the configuration file supplied by DEC.
>
>Anyhow, it seems that MX records aren't being used.
>nslookup shows the proper mail forwarder, but mail keeps being
>queued up on the gateway, with connection refused (for ecample).

[...]
>Do I have to do something special in my sendmail.cf file
>to use the MX records? When I start it up?
>
>nslookup works. Anyone have any clues?

This is an Ultrix-specific answer, but I figure there are probably alot of
people with Ultrix out there so here goes.

It's possible that your /etc/svcorder file needs "reconfiguring".  It
determines the behavior of gethostbyname et al.  If you want to use the
resolver routines, you need "bind" to be the first entry in the file.  The
other entry would be "local" for /etc/hosts lookup.  I'm ignoring, of
course, the Yellow Pages entry becausse I don't believe in Yellow Pages
(actually I eradicated that entry so I don't know what it was anymore).

Luck,

Andy

--
andy@gollum.hcf.jhu.edu
ecf_hap@jhunix.UUCP

sethr@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu (Seth Robertson) (04/01/89)

In article <1289@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> ecf_hap@jhunix.UUCP (Andrew Poling) writes:
>In article <86@crdgw1.crd.ge.com> barnett@crdgw1.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett) writes:

>>I am using an Ultrix 3.0 machine as a gateway, and I rebooted it

>>Do I have to do something special in my sendmail.cf file
>>to use the MX records? When I start it up?

>This is an Ultrix-specific answer, but I figure there are probably alot of
>people with Ultrix out there so here goes.

[deleted]

How about SunOS?  I tried putting an MX record in my named and it igonored it!
(not very friendly!)

						-Seth
						 seth@ctr.columbia.edu