[comp.mail.sendmail] Sendmail question

mlandau@bbn.com (Matt Landau) (03/08/89)

In comp.mail.misc, alan l wendt writes:
>And the rest of the stuff wants to get put in /usr/spool/mail/wendt.
>The sensible thing to do with the rest of the stuff is to pipe
>it back into sendmail, with a flag saying not to do forwarding,
>but I can't find such a flag on sendmail.  Suggestions anyone?

[ Why was this in comp.emacs? ]
[ I've directed followups to comp.mail.sendmail. ]

My sendmail man page (SunOS 4.0) describes a -n flag that means "don't do
aliasing" -- I'm not sure whether aliasing is construed to include per-user
forwarding, but I think I recall from the sendmail source that they're
handled in the same place, so maybe.

You might also be able to quote the recipient name by preceding it with
a backslash.  At least, if sendmail finds a name of the form '\name' in
a .forward file, it doesn't try to reforward the message.

Alternatively, instead of handing the stuff back to sendmail, you could
just feed it to /bin/mail, which will deliver it to your mailbox.  I wrote
a rule-based pattern matcher for dispatching mail based on ed-style
regular expressions in its headers, and it uses this technique to effect
final delivery for sites that use the sendmail / /bin/mail combination.

In fact it derives the sender's name from the message and then uses
"/bin/mail -r <sender> -d <recipient>" to force the "From " lines to
contain the right name.
--
 Matt Landau			Waiting for a flash of enlightenment
 mlandau@bbn.com			  in all this blood and thunder

george@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Roy George) (04/08/89)

As being relatively new to Sendmail, I would really appreciate it if some
one could send me information about any/all of the following

  What are the structures that Sendmail uses for header information?

  Where can I find documentation on the actual procedures and structures
  that sendmail uses when it hands over mail for propagation?(if in public
  domain the address from where it can be obtained)

Thanks in advance,
Roy George
* Roy George              | INTERNET & BITNET : george@rex.cs.tulane.edu    *
* Tulane University, LA   | USENET            :{{ames, bionet}!}rex!george  *