[comp.mail.sendmail] A Question about the SYS file

news@versatc.UUCP (The News Administrator) (04/14/89)

I have a need to pass on every news article in a particular newsgroup
to a friend who is a few hops from my site. What is the proper way
to do it?

I tried the following 2 methods by inserting these lines into the sys file
but both did not seem to work:

Method I: using sendmail: This one did not appear to work:

test1:world,rec.sport.football::/usr/lib/sendmail -t sun!rtech!llama!joe

Method 2: using the mail program:

test2:world,rec.sport.football:F:/usr/ucb/mail -s "testing" sun!rtech!llama!joe

This 2nd method produces an error message: could not append to /usr/ucb/mail ...
in the /news/lib/log file.

What did I do wrong?

Tony

--
UUCP: {sun,ames,pyramid}!versatc!news
Versatec, 2805 Bowers Avenue, Santa Clara, Calif 95051 (408)982-4317

karl@triceratops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) (04/14/89)

We do this all the time.  Try it like this:

staff:world,cis.staff::/usr/lib/sendmail -i staff-mail

(It's for those who prefer staff news in their mail.)

--Karl

barnett@crdgw1.crd.ge.com (Bruce G. Barnett) (04/26/89)

In article <KARL.89Apr14093520@triceratops.cis.ohio-state.edu>, karl@triceratops (Karl Kleinpaste) writes:

>staff:world,cis.staff::/usr/lib/sendmail -i staff-mail
>
>(It's for those who prefer staff news in their mail.)

I don't understand. I don't know what the -i option means to sendmail.
It isn't documented in the Appendix A (Command Line Options)
or on the manual page.

Assuming the -i option is correct, are endless loops prevented?
That is, in /usr/lib/aliases there are:
	staff-list: u1,u2, u3, staff-poster
	staff-poster:"|/usr/lib/news/recnews cis.staff"
Will this work as a news/mailing list, with all
mail sent to staff-list being posted, and all new articles posted to
cis.staff mailed to u1, u2 and u3?

Since I'm asking, what is the best way to take a
large mailing list, and
	1) send articles to a local newsgroup
	2) send articles to a local mailing list
AND have replies and followup postings work properly?

--
Bruce G. Barnett	<barnett@crdgw1.ge.com>  a.k.a. <barnett@[192.35.44.4]>
			uunet!steinmetz!barnett, <barnett@steinmetz.ge.com>