[comp.mail.sendmail] HELP! Biff

humtech@ucschu.ucsc.edu (Mark Frost) (05/06/89)

Help! We are having trouble with our "biff" program. Ever since we upgraded
our ISI V16 to 4.3 BSD we have never received on-line notification of
new mail - the only way to know is to check for mail. From what I
understand this could be a problem with sendmail, comsat, or biff.
I don't really know what to look for.  I has been suggested that we
look to see if "biff isn't talking" or "sendmail isn't listening". How
do we do this?

In a possibly similar vein, our UNIX "talk" program doesn't function either.
It sits there for about minute and finally says

talk: ucschu.UCSC.EDU: Can't figure out network address.

Another, older version of "talk" says

This machine doesn't exist! Boy, am I confused!

We are listed in /etc/hosts and so far as I can tell all other needed places,
but it seems that we must be missing something. We have tried copying the
binaries of these files from another ISI on campus running 4.3 that doesn't
have the same problems, to now avail - they also don't work on our machine.

If I knew what "talk" was looking for, I could delve into it more. Also, if
someone from another machine on our campus ethernet sends a talk request, the
user on our machine does get notification, he/she just can't respond.

Anyway, I have no idea if these two problems are related, but I'd be
very grateful to anyone who could enlighten me.

PLEASE! SEND ME E-MAIL! I really don't have time to read these newsgroups.

Thanx a lot!

Mark Frost
	Office of the the Computing Coordinator
	Humanities Division
	University of California at Santa Cruz
Internet: humtech@ucschu.UCSC.EDU
Bitnet: humtech@ucschu.bitnet
Uucp: ...!ucbvax!ucscc!ucschu!humtech

dhesi@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Rahul Dhesi) (05/07/89)

In article <7029@saturn.ucsc.edu> humtech@ucschu.ucsc.edu (Mark Frost) writes:
>Ever since we upgraded
>our ISI V16 to 4.3 BSD we have never received on-line notification of
>new mail...

I discovered a long time ago that if I enabled "pseudo-device inet" in
our 4.3BSD configuration file, "talk" worked but "biff" didn't.  If I
didn't enable that device, "biff" worked but "talk" didn't.  Since the
4.3BSD documentation is less than spectacular, I simply tossed a coin,
decided "talk" was more useful than "biff", allowed that pseudo-device
to stay in, and resigned myself to a biff-less existence.

You might want to set csh's "mail" variable like this:

     set mail=(30 /usr/spool/mail/$USER)

which will cause csh to check for mail every 30 seconds.
--
Rahul Dhesi <dhesi@bsu-cs.bsu.edu>
UUCP:    ...!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!dhesi

cliff@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Cliff Marcellus) (05/07/89)

You may not be aware that "talk" under 4.3BSD is actually "ntalk"
(... and uses the "ntalkd" daemon.)  YOu widh to start looking there
"ntalkd" should be conf'ed in /etc/services as

ntalkd		518/udp

"talk" should still be available as /usr/old/talk (with "talkd" still
running on port 517/udp)

Just a thought...

Cliff Marcellus                UUCP     : {any backbone}!calgary!ssg-vax-a!cliff
Institute for Space Research   DOMAIN   : cliff@ssg-vax-a.phys.UCalgary.CA
Dept of Physics and Astronomy  SPAN     : CANCAL::CLIFF
The University of Calgary                 "If it's not fun, don't do it!"