[comp.mail.sendmail] Need some helping pointers with "mail" over UUCP.

crunch@well.UUCP (John Draper) (05/17/89)

   I am a UNIX novice and just now setting up my 386i SUN as a stand-alone
workstation,   but for some reason,  I'm unable to get the "mail" to work
properly using UUCP to another site.    I get the following when I send mail
to another site:

$ mail -v acad!owen
Subject: test
This is a test
Cc:
$ acad!owen... Connecting to acad via uucp...
uux failed. code -1
acad!owen... unknown mailer error 255
Saving message in /home/crunch/dead.letter
/home/crunch/dead.letter... Sent

   I set up the L.sys files properly,  and tested them with uucico manually,
and the UUCP connection works just fine,   it's when I use "mail" that causes
the real problem.   Does anyone out there know whats going on??

John D.
uunet!acad!well!crunch
Or
uunet!acad!crunch

Max_Jeff_Rochlin@cup.portal.com (05/18/89)

John,

It sounds like you have a file permissions problem.  Make sure that that you
have set L.sys for public access.

pdb@sei.cmu.edu (Patrick Barron) (05/18/89)

In article <18492@cup.portal.com> Max_Jeff_Rochlin@cup.portal.com writes:
>It sounds like you have a file permissions problem.  Make sure that that you
>have set L.sys for public access.

Yow!  This would be a big mistake!  Nobody should be able to read L.sys
except "uucp" and "root"; it contains phone numbers, login names, and
passwords for remote systems.  All of the uucp utilities are appropriately
set-uid to be able to read these files.

John's original problem does sound like uux is having problems opening
a file.  It could be that uux is not set-uid (mine is mode 6111, owner
"uucp", group "daemon"), or that a file it's trying to open either does
not exist or is not owned by "uucp".  Check and make sure all the files
and directories under /usr/spool/uucp are owned by "uucp".

--Pat.