[comp.mail.sendmail] undefined symbol: unsetenv

steven@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Steven Sakata) (05/26/89)

I've been trying to compile version 5.6.1 of sendmail under Ultrix 2.2, but I
get an undefined symbol error for "unsetenv" (in main.c).  I've searched through
a whole bunch of libraries and header files, but came up empty.  I'd be really
grateful for any suggestions.........Thanks, Steven.

moore@cygnusx1.cs.utk.edu (Keith Moore) (05/26/89)

In article <4021@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> steven@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Steven Sakata) writes:
>I've been trying to compile version 5.6.1 of sendmail under Ultrix 2.2, but I
>get an undefined symbol error for "unsetenv" (in main.c).  I've searched through
>a whole bunch of libraries and header files, but came up empty.  I'd be really
>grateful for any suggestions.........Thanks, Steven.

It's easy enough to find the single reference to unsetenv() and comment it
out.  On systems that use the TZ environment variable to set the user's
timezone (like Sys V systems), sendmail needs to call unsetenv("TZ") to
keep users from fooling sendmail as to what time the message was sent.
Current Ultrix systems don't use this convention, so commenting out
the unsetenv() doesn't hurt anything.
--
Keith Moore
UT Computer Science Dept.	Internet/CSnet: moore@utkcs2.cs.utk.edu

fuat@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu (Fuat C. Baran) (05/26/89)

In article <894@utkcs2.cs.utk.edu> moore@cygnusx1.cs.utk.edu (Keith Moore) writes:
>It's easy enough to find the single reference to unsetenv() and comment it
>out.  On systems that use the TZ environment variable to set the user's
>timezone (like Sys V systems), sendmail needs to call unsetenv("TZ") to
>keep users from fooling sendmail as to what time the message was sent.
>Current Ultrix systems don't use this convention, so commenting out
>the unsetenv() doesn't hurt anything.

My sources to sendmail 5.61 came with a "support" directory that has a
setenv.c file which defines setenv() and unsetenv().  I just modified
the makefile to link in this module...

						--Fuat
--
INTERNET: fuat@columbia.edu          U.S. MAIL: Columbia University