[comp.mail.sendmail] source address routing

drk@twinkie.Rational.COM (David R. Kaelbling) (06/01/89)

In article <3139@sun.soe.clarkson.edu> ahd@sun.soe!clutx.clarkson.edu writes:
>From article <25019@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, by wisner@mica.Berkeley.EDU (Bill Wisner):
>> Close, but not quite. Every host beyond the first must be followed by
>> a comma rather than a colon. In other words,
>>
>> 	@x.y.z:you@a.b.c		(this is valid)
>> 	@p.q.r,@x.y.z:you@a.b.c		(this is also valid)
>> 	@p.q.r:@x.y.z:you@a.b.c		(this isn't)

I'm no expert, but my experience has been that the sendmail.cf files
Sun distributes systematically corrupt valid routes by turning ','s
into ':'s.  In ruleset 9 there is a rule which looks like this:

R<@$+>$*:$+:$+		<@$1>$2,$3:$4			<route-addr> canonical

This doesn't seem to work unless re-written as:

R$*<@$+>$*:$+:$+	$1<@$2>$3,$4:$5			<route-addr> canonical

David Kaelbling                                       (408) 496-3600
c/o Rational; 3320 Scott Boulevard; Santa Clara, CA       95054-3197
drk@Rational.COM, drk@igor.uu.net, ...!{uunet,ubvax,amdcad}!igor!drk