[comp.mail.sendmail] Setting up sendmail.cf

DeadHead@cup.portal.com (Bruce M Ong) (06/16/89)

Hi -

I have a question that has been puzzling me for a while.  My school's
domain is set up like this: host.department.sjsu.edu.

Now, in my local domain +ee.sjsu.edu, I do not have a machine called
'ee'.  All mail now appears to have the header

	from: user@host.ee.sjsu.edu

in this domain (all hosts are on the same net). Now, do I have to have a
machine called ee to serve this domain if I want to send mail outside this
domain and receive mail from outside this domain?  How do I set up the
sendmail.cf so that there appears to be a host called 'ee' but actually not
while still allowing each host to have the fully qualified domainname
host.ee.sjsu.edu appearing on the message header?

One of the machines in this domain is serving as a mail host
- say host1.ee.sjsu.edu. Do i have to name it 'ee' in order to get mail
from outside?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Bruce
email: deadhead@cup.portal.com

kamat@uceng.UC.EDU (Govind N. Kamat) (06/19/89)

In article <19525@cup.portal.com> DeadHead@cup.portal.com (Bruce M Ong) writes:
>I have a question that has been puzzling me for a while.  My school's
>domain is set up like this: host.department.sjsu.edu.
>
>Now, in my local domain +ee.sjsu.edu, I do not have a machine called
>'ee'.  All mail now appears to have the header
>
>	from: user@host.ee.sjsu.edu
>
>in this domain (all hosts are on the same net). Now, do I have to have a
>machine called ee to serve this domain if I want to send mail outside this
>domain and receive mail from outside this domain?

No, you don't.

>How do I set up the
>sendmail.cf so that there appears to be a host called 'ee' but actually not
>while still allowing each host to have the fully qualified domainname
>host.ee.sjsu.edu appearing on the message header?

As I mentioned above, you don't need to do any of this, and it may be
preferable not to, depending upon your site.

If you want mail to be sent to ee.sjsu.edu, you could set this name up
to have the same IP address as one of your hosts, in the domain
tables.  Then you could have a MX record for each host pointing to
ee.sjsu.edu.  Of course, you will have to be prepared to distribute
the mail to the individual hosts from ee, i.e., nothing has been
achieved by all this.  One way could be to have a common /usr/mail or
/usr/spool/mail mounted for all the hosts.

The reverse makes more sense -- have all mail sent out with the sender
as user@ee.sjsu.edu.  And MX'es broadcast for ee.sjsu.edu pointing to
your local hosts, with the common mail spool directory.  If you wish
to do this, Karl Kleinpaste (karl@cis.ohio-state.edu) has a nice
generic cf file you can request.

--
Govind N. Kamat 			College of Engineering
kamat@uceng.UC.EDU			University of Cincinnati