[comp.mail.sendmail] Re^4: Short-circuiting a route

scs@lokkur.UUCP (Steve Simmons) (06/29/89)

karl@giza.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) writes:

>I am a Domain Absolutist, for which I do not apologize.  The critical
>point of my short-circuit is nothing more than the observation of both
>`.' and `!' in a !-path.

No need to apologise, but since we have a priest of this
religion this seeker will ask a question... :-)

My wife recently brought home a printout of a recipe from a co-worker.
On reading it, it was sent to ruth_simmons@aa.va.gov.  It was from somebody
with a similar address.  I attempted to send her mail.  No IP address, no
MX records.  Imagine my surprise on interrogating 'whois' and finding no
va.gov nor aa.va.gov.  Yet she works for the Ann Arbor Veterans Admin
hospital, and somebody with some degree of addressing knowledge went to
the trouble of setting up their email.

Now, here's my first question: is their address legitimate, even though
there appears to be no normally accepted connection between here and
there?  And if it is, what does that mean about a route like
	lokkur.dexter.mi.us!aa.va.gov!ruth_simmons
--
:  "Coprophilia is not a disease or an abberation.  It is a legitimate   :
:   alternative lifestyle."                                              :

amanda@intercon.UUCP (Amanda Walker) (06/29/89)

In article <1930@lokkur.UUCP>, scs@lokkur.UUCP (Steve Simmons) writes:
> My wife recently brought home a printout of a recipe from a co-worker.
> On reading it, it was sent to ruth_simmons@aa.va.gov.  It was from somebody
> with a similar address.  I attempted to send her mail.  No IP address, no
> MX records.  Imagine my surprise on interrogating 'whois' and finding no
> va.gov nor aa.va.gov.  [...] is their address legitimate, even though
> there appears to be no normally accepted connection between here and
> there?

It's bogus.  One thing about claiming to have a domain is that you must
have name servers registered for that domain.  If the nameserver for .GOV
doesn't know about VA.GOV, it doesn't exist.

--
Amanda Walker  <amanda@intercon.UUCP>
InterCon Systems Corporation