[comp.mail.sendmail] Sendmail 5.61/IDA 1.2.8; what's my move?

tpc@bnr-fos.UUCP (Tom Chmara) (07/10/89)

I posted a request for information before to this net, but I guess I got
people at a bad time:  no responses.  I have Sendmail 5.61 ready to go,
and wanted it solely for the IDA enhancements.  Lucky me:  someone gave me
IDA 1.2.8..
PROBLEM:
	1.2.8 IDA has patches for 5.59 Sendmail
What's better:  get 5.59 sendmail (I don't plan on using BIND, as we aren't
on the Internet); or can I get IDA patches for 5.61?
Is there a better alternative?
	Thanks for your time...
		---tpc---
--
I am sole owner of the above opinions. Licensing inquiries welcome.
Tom Chmara			UUCP:  ..utgpu!bnr-vpa!bnr-fos!tpc

tpc@bnr-fos.UUCP (Tom Chmara) (07/11/89)

In article <724@bnr-fos.UUCP> tpc@bnr-fos.UUCP (Tom Chmara) writes:
>PROBLEM:
>	1.2.8 IDA has patches for 5.59 Sendmail
>What's better:  get 5.59 sendmail (I don't plan on using BIND, as we aren't
>on the Internet); or can I get IDA patches for 5.61?
>Is there a better alternative?
>	Thanks for your time...

Arrgh.  I forgot something particularly important...
	I don't have Internet (i.e. ftp) access.  This eliminates MOST of
	the easy ways out.  All I can do is uucp or use a mail server...
	(it's rough being underpriviledged...)

Thanks again...
	---tpc---
--
I am sole owner of the above opinions. Licensing inquiries welcome.
Tom Chmara			UUCP:  ..utgpu!bnr-vpa!bnr-fos!tpc
BNR Ltd.  			BITNET: TPC@BNR.CA

geoff@Fernwood.MPK.CA.US (Geoff Goodfellow) (07/11/89)

Dave Edwards and I have been busy hacking and pounding on IDA over the last
couple of months (Dave's been implementing, I've been breaking/Beta-testing).
Here's some of what you can expect to see around the August 1st time frame.
The new version (called XIDA) is based on 5.61+IDA-1.2.8:

  1) Removed now obsolete MX pseudo domain support.  MX records are checked
     for when checking for host info.

  2) Changed version number from 5.61a+ to 5.61.<edit>.  So it is 5.61.2.

  3) Report to syslog why files cannot be written so we know.  LogLevel 9.

  4) Added GLOBALALIASES flag so that newaliases would not need a special
     cf file.

  5) Added SEND support under configuration flag TTYSENDS.  If defined,
     mailer 'tty' must be defined.

  6) Insure that class 'w' receives all aliases which can be determined
     automatically even if variable 'w' is defined in the cf file.

  7) Added a lot of logging to monitor name service failures.  Most verbose
     logging occurs with LogLevel > 12.

  8) Call openlog from child to insure that syslog entries are properly labeled.
     Also, add some missing checks for LOG being defined. Increased LogLevel
     to > 15 from dropenvelope.

  9) Added file name parameter to writable() for better messages.  Enhanced
     finis syslog entry.

  10) Fixed up nested mail/send command to use usrerr instead of syserr.

  11) Added kludge to suppress header lines for TTYMAILER.

  12) Fixed some problems where headers contained parse errors caused by prescan
      which resulted in a message being reported as bounced after delivering it.
      All fixed under FIXDELIMBUG.

  13) Fixed a problem where root couldn't store a dead.letter since home was
      prepended to '/dead.letter'.

  14) Added many NAMED_BIND ifdefs.

# Current version
DVXIDA-1.2.8.34

####### LOCAL CHANGES #######
# 8-Jul-89 DLE SRI International (#34)
# Cleanup handling of UUCP headers.  Insure we do not '%'ify uucp addresses.
# Add UUCPALLBANGS which adds the UUCP domain to all unqualified hostnames
# which are followed by bangs.
#
# 21-Jun-89 DLE SRI International (#33)
# Miscellaneous cleanup: define HELPFILE and STATSFILE, try to reduce
# unnecessary calls to the name server from rule 3, add a ruleset to
# handle header host and user aliases, make DD always represent the
# name for the header.
#
# 19-Jun-89 DLE SRI International (#32)
# Suppress name server call from rule 26 if there is only a single domain
# in the address or if the toplevel domain is a pseudo-domain.  Allow
# automatic alias rebuilding since XIDA sendmail supports global aliases
# now.
#
# 19-Jun-89 DLE SRI International (#31)
# Added TCPUUCPGWS which does to the envelope what UUCPRELAYS does to
# the header.  UUCP nodes defined here must know how to act as gateways
# between UUCP and TCP.  They will receive a domained from header and
# a mixed recipient list.  All TCPUUCPGWS are automatically defined as
# UUCPRELAYS.  Defined ALTHDRALIASES which allows two global aliases
# which would correspond to the two aliases maps.
#
# 19-Jun-89 DLE SRI International (#30)
# Added NODNSPATHS which suppresses checking the UUCP path table for
# addresses with DNS toplevel domains.  This is to prevent a temporary
# nameserver failure from using uucp.  Cleaned up top-level domain handling
# and added class I which lists known DNS top-level domains.
#
# 19-Jun-89 DLE SRI International (#29)
# Added DOMAINRELAYS which is the generic form of BITNETRELAY which
# is now obsolete.  Searches for a relay by stepping through each domain
# up to and including the top level domain.
#
# 19-Jun-89 DLE SRI International (#28)
# Added HEADERALIASES which works in cooperation with HIDDENNET and
# HIDDENDOMAIN to allow local aliases to alter headers to provide the
# aliases mapping instead of the alias.  This allows client users to
# define local aliases but keep the headers valid.  Also supports fussy
# users who do not want the outside to see their local userid.
#
# 18-Jun-89 DLE SRI International (#27)
# Added HIDDENDOMAIN which works the same as HIDDENNET except that
# a static table is not required.  This can be used, to replace or
# supplement the HIDDENNET definition.
#
# 30-Apr-89 DLE SRI International (#25 & #26)
# Misc cleanups including converting all our equivalent names to
# our full name.  Fixed up some TTYMAILER problems.
#
# 30-Apr-89 DLE SRI International (#24)
# Handle some additional munged addresses.
#
# 30-Apr-89 DLE SRI International (#23)
# Added support for TTYMAILER which supports the SEND command.
#
# 30-Apr-89 DLE SRI International (#22)
# Started major cleanup.  Removed now obsolete MX pseudo domain support.
# Removed NEWALIASES flag since support now in sendmail via HEADERALIASES
# config option.
#
# 24-Feb-89 DLE SRI International
# Added the LOGLEVEL option to alter the LOGLEVEL used by sendmail.
#
# 23-Feb-89 DLE SRI International
# Updated top level domain list based on latest info from SRI-NIC.
#
# 30-Jan-89 DLE SRI International (Removed - Edit #22)
# Merged my changes for version 1.2.3 with the current version 1.2.8.
# Made MX support observe the PSEUDODOMAINS and avoid calling name servers.
# Added support to fall back to the host tables if all else fails via
# OLDHOSTTABLE which should identify a DBM or YP database which returns host
# addresses.  The OLDHOSTTABLE should only be defined on your mail host of
# last resort and then I recommend using a different mailer to be able to
# monitor its frequency of use.  Cleaned up greating and received lines.
#
# 26-Jan-89 DLE SRI International
# Added flag, ALWAYS_RELAY, which forces message delivery to our relay
# host.
#
# 16-Sep-88 DLE SRI International (Removed - Edit #29)
# Added BITNETRELAY to forward mail directed at the BITNET domain.  This is
# required since there are no MX records or UUCP paths available.  A more
# generic approach would be preferable.
#
# 05-Sep-88 DLE SRI International
# Added USENETNAME to have only our network name appear in headers.  This
# allows us to mask all our local hosts in case messages are then forwarded
# off our net.  USENETNAME should be defined to be the name to use.  Note
# that you cannot use the DEFAUTDOMAIN since it conflicts with host naming
# when using the MX support features of sendmail.
#
# 05-Sep-88 DLE SRI International
# Added mailer TCP-I which is identical to TCP except it has the I mailer
# option which indicates that this is an internal transfer between sendmails.
# This option is desirable for use as the RELAY_MAILER.
#
# 06-Sep-88 DLE SRI International (Removed - Edit #22)
# Added code to use new MX checking feature in sendmail.  We use the 'x'
# dbm id for the pseudo dbm file.  It really only checks if MX records
# exist and returns true if they do.  This is only used in rule set 26.

If you've done any bug fixings/enhancements to IDA please let us know.

Geoff Goodfellow		Dave Edwards
Geoff@Fernwood.MPK.CA.US	dle@csl.sri.com

rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) (07/11/89)

In <1341@fernwood.MPK.CA.US> geoff@Fernwood.MPK.CA.US (Geoff Goodfellow) writes:
=Dave Edwards and I have been busy hacking and pounding on IDA over the last
=couple of months

... 140 lines of change description deleted...

=If you've done any bug fixings/enhancements to IDA please let us know.
=Geoff Goodfellow		Dave Edwards
=Geoff@Fernwood.MPK.CA.US	dle@csl.sri.com

Sigh.

I hope you contacted the original author, and offered your changes back to
him.

It's generally considered Poor Form not to do this.

	/r$
--
Please send comp.sources.unix-related mail to rsalz@uunet.uu.net.
Use a domain-based address or give alternate paths, or you may lose out.